Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Makarof, 380

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default Makarof, 380

    I left the gun show today, with a Makarof, chambered for 380 ACP. I thought I heard somewhere, that were 380 versions of the Makarof, but later decided there weren't any sich animal. Then, today, I found one.

    I considered that good, since IME, 380 Ammo is easy to find compared to the 9mm Makarof / 9x18 . This one is in excellent shape. Looked unused. I disassembled it using the Book that came with my Walther PPK. It is very similar to the PPK. I cleaned it, and test fired it. 3, 8 round magazines, and absolutely no malfunctions. AND, it was plenty accurate. I expect to use it for Home-Defense, and Occasional CC.


    HOWEVER, there is ONE thing that gives me pause, and that is the Magazine Release. It is a real Pain in the Pooper. I am unable to get the magazines out, in a timely fashion, or without a lot of trouble.


    Maybe, it's just me, but I'm wondering if this what I have to look forward to?

    If anyone would care to share insight, on this, I'd love to hear it. Also, from anyone who uses a Makarof, whatever the chambering, for CC.

    Thanks,
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  2. #2
    Member Doug in Alaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    545

    Default

    No comment, no wait a minute. Smitty I thought you knew better! If you want a reasonably priced house gun, get a Glock.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

  3. #3
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    I'm sure it was CHEAPER than a Glock. So, the mag release is a pain, but it was CHEAPER. Right? Cheaper is BETTER.
    "Quality. There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." From John Ruskin. For me and my house, we will buy older Smith and Wesson revolvers.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I'm sure it was CHEAPER than a Glock. So, the mag release is a pain, but it was CHEAPER. Right? Cheaper is BETTER.
    "Quality. There is hardly anything in the world that some men cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." From John Ruskin. For me and my house, we will buy older Smith and Wesson revolvers.
    Buying Cheap is probably one of my failings. However, I didn't buy the Makarof, simply because it was cheap. Still, if it hadn't been reasonably priced, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

    They are known to be very reliable, and they are DA SA, which I like, and the Design is much like the Walher PPKs, PPKS etc. I'm sure you know that, and also, know that those Walthers are Quality, and Not Cheap.

    I wasn't meaning to "Cry the Blues" about the Makarof. I'm excited about it. I just wanted to share.

    I own a cupla S&Ws A Colt, and 3 or 4 Ruger handguns, and and some very nice "Quality" rifles. And, I have some cheap guns that I wouldn't part with.

    I hope that's OK, with you.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  5. #5
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Ö..I expect to use it for Home-Defense, and Occasional CC.....
    I hope it's there for you in case you do, but hope you never have to.... (sorry, just thought it was interesting the way you said that, ie "expect")
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  6. #6

    Default

    I have a fair bit of experience with 380's.... Probably better to say long but thin experience.

    For me it all boils down to reliable function. If you ain't got it, it's time to move the gun. Can't say about the Makarof, cuzz I've never owned or fired one.

    Best I found was the little Browning BDA built for them by Beretta back in the late 1970's. That thing would cycle about anything you stuffed into a magazine and was bunny head accurate to boot. I even killed several deer with it just to see if it could be done. All within 30 yards, one-shot kills and two dropped in their tracks. One went about 10' before dropping. That little gem is one of the few semi's I've ever regretted parting with.

    If you get that kind of performance from your Makarof, my hat's off to you and my interest in the model is peaked. If not, I'd move it along.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  7. #7
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    61į North
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Smitty, congrats on your Mak purchase. Itís a fine little pistol for the money. The last Mak I found was a Russian (Baikal) 9 x 18 at a pawn shop for $95. Itís been utterly reliable and accurate.


    That being said, the heel type magazine release on the Makarov is a deal breaker for CC for me. My thumb is just used to button pushing to dump the mag. The sharp edges on my Mak and the marginal caliber lead me to believe there are better CCW choices out there.

    The Mak is a fun gun to shoot, and as long as you did not overpay, it is pretty easy enough to sell and get what you paid (or more).



  8. #8
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    Just FYI, it's Makarov, with a "v", not an "f".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  9. #9

    Default

    Well, I for one knew what he was talking about......

    Old Butch had one for several years in the 9X18. It served him well on pond frogs and muskrats.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I hope it's there for you in case you do, but hope you never have to.... (sorry, just thought it was interesting the way you said that, ie "expect")
    Good point. I should have worded it differently. It's not that easy though.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I have a fair bit of experience with 380's.... Probably better to say long but thin experience.

    For me it all boils down to reliable function. If you ain't got it, it's time to move the gun. Can't say about the Makarof, cuzz I've never owned or fired one.

    Best I found was the little Browning BDA built for them by Beretta back in the late 1970's. That thing would cycle about anything you stuffed into a magazine and was bunny head accurate to boot. I even killed several deer with it just to see if it could be done. All within 30 yards, one-shot kills and two dropped in their tracks. One went about 10' before dropping. That little gem is one of the few semi's I've ever regretted parting with.

    If you get that kind of performance from your Makarof, my hat's off to you and my interest in the model is peaked. If not, I'd move it along.
    BB:
    Thanks for your wealth experiences with the 380. And your advice regarding that cartridge.

    I think this MakaroV is plenty accurate. The sights are good and completely adjustable. I'll hafta see what I can do with it, and that will be fun.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Just FYI, it's Makarov, with a "v", not an "f".
    "MAKAROv" it is, SUH. Thank You kindly.
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Smitty, congrats on your Mak purchase. Itís a fine little pistol for the money. The last Mak I found was a Russian (Baikal) 9 x 18 at a pawn shop for $95. Itís been utterly reliable and accurate.


    That being said, the heel type magazine release on the Makarov is a deal breaker for CC for me. My thumb is just used to button pushing to dump the mag. The sharp edges on my Mak and the marginal caliber lead me to believe there are better CCW choices out there.

    The Mak is a fun gun to shoot, and as long as you did not overpay, it is pretty easy enough to sell and get what you paid (or more).


    They are fine pistols, for sure. According to info I find on the Internet, the current price is just under $400, and more for the 380s.

    Prices have varied considerably over the years, depending on supply.

    Just to say, these are not junk guns. I gather, they are mostly surplus Military and Police guns from countries that have gone to something they think is better.

    The MakaroV replaced the Russian Tokarev. I hope I spelled that one right.

    Thanks,
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    The Saga continues, for those who are interested.

    I have negated the magazine release concern with what I'm calling the "FBP Modification". FPB stands for (Folded Bond Paper). It is a simple straight forward mod. but it does require some fitting.

    I've learned that, as might be expected, that some folks do use the MakaroV for CC.

    Also, the pistol I have, IZH-70 is a Commercial version in 380 ACP. On the slide, it says "Big Bear Arms. Dallas, TX .

    The most prevalent, and most popular MakaroVs are the ones made in Bulgaria, and chambered for 9x18.

    Thanks for your indulgence.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  15. #15
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,132

    Default

    I carried a SIG P230 and an older P225 with the heel release for a while. You can overcome it with training, but it's different for sure and a little slower. I actually prefer the heel release for a concealed pistol- you're far more likely to inadvertently hit a thumb release than need a fast reload at any rate.

    The Makarov is a decent pistol with Walther genes, but typical Russian construction and finish. Back in the 90s you could pick them up for $150 or a little less, pretty good value at the time and I knew several folks who rode around with one in the glove box JIC. The adjustable sights were changed out for import law compliance, maybe a little later as most of the samples I saw were fixed sights. The modern pricing on most of Russian guns is sort of high, but that's probably just me showing my age.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I carried a SIG P230 and an older P225 with the heel release for a while. You can overcome it with training, but it's different for sure and a little slower. I actually prefer the heel release for a concealed pistol- you're far more likely to inadvertently hit a thumb release than need a fast reload at any rate.

    The Makarov is a decent pistol with Walther genes, but typical Russian construction and finish. Back in the 90s you could pick them up for $150 or a little less, pretty good value at the time and I knew several folks who rode around with one in the glove box JIC. The adjustable sights were changed out for import law compliance, maybe a little later as most of the samples I saw were fixed sights. The modern pricing on most of Russian guns is sort of high, but that's probably just me showing my age.
    Hodge:

    I believe you're right. I'm already training myself, if I'm not beyond the age of trainability.

    I put white paint on the front sight, and it shoots accurate enough for wabbits. It's a teeny bit bigger than my SCCY 9mm, and shoots a smaller cartridge, so the recoil is less. Plus it's not DAO, but DA SA. That makes it suitable for field gun, as well as for its intended use.

    Back when they were around $150, I just couldn't buy one. And, the 9x18 ammo was less certain than now. I was glad to get one in 380.

    It says "Made in Russia" The machining is excellent. The bluing is not up to S&W. standards, or Walther PPK.

    Thanks

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  17. #17
    Member bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,707

    Default

    Got one in the 90ís, Russian made in 9x18.
    Thousands of rounds through it. Couldnít be happier.
    Bk


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Got one in the 90ís, Russian made in 9x18.
    Thousands of rounds through it. Couldnít be happier.
    Bk


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nother good MakaroV report.

    Thanks
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Nother good MakaroV report.

    Thanks
    SOTN
    Smitty, I wanna let you in on a little secret. That "V" on the end of Makarov ain't spose to be a big V. I don't want you to wear out your pinky finger from hitting that there shift key.

    I remember when Butch sold his Makarov to an old guy who collected everything military. He bought a Bersa 380 to replace it. He would get mad every time he shot that Bersa. He would say man I wish I had my 9x18 back. He tried to barter with the old man that bought it but he was one of those guys that just adds to the pile and doesn't ever get rid of anything! Big Butch wasn't used to getting told no. Of course it was sorta fun to add to his woes......Hey Butchy, I know who has one of those Makarov 9x18s!!!! Who, who who?, says he. That old fart who you sold it to but he don't want to part with it, says I. That was followed by stuff that I can't put into print here but it meant that I won that round anyway!

  20. #20
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    [QUOTE=elmerkeithclone;1655611]Smitty, I wanna let you in on a little secret. That "V" on the end of Makarov ain't spose to be a big V. I don't want you to wear out your pinky finger from hitting that there shift key.

    He's just having fun with the spelling/grammer Nazi. Me. It's OK, I have a lot of fun with it. Sometimes folks just get their panties in a twist when I point stuff out. It is all in good humor. For me, at least.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •