Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makarof, 380

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I have a fair bit of experience with 380's.... Probably better to say long but thin experience.

For me it all boils down to reliable function. If you ain't got it, it's time to move the gun. Can't say about the Makarof, cuzz I've never owned or fired one.

Best I found was the little Browning BDA built for them by Beretta back in the late 1970's. That thing would cycle about anything you stuffed into a magazine and was bunny head accurate to boot. I even killed several deer with it just to see if it could be done. All within 30 yards, one-shot kills and two dropped in their tracks. One went about 10' before dropping. That little gem is one of the few semi's I've ever regretted parting with.

If you get that kind of performance from your Makarof, my hat's off to you and my interest in the model is peaked. If not, I'd move it along.
    Love my BDA. Gonna have to take it out of the safe next time to the range, it's been a while...

[QUOTE=gunbugs;1655641]
    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Smitty, I wanna let you in on a little secret. That "V" on the end of Makarov ain't spose to be a big V. I don't want you to wear out your pinky finger from hitting that there shift key.

He's just having fun with the spelling/grammer Nazi. Me. It's OK, I have a lot of fun with it. Sometimes folks just get their panties in a twist when I point stuff out. It is all in good humor. For me, at least.
    I bet you two old Coots would get along real well in the real world. I'd even show up so that the two of ya had someone to pick on! There wouldn't be no twisted panties either. I'm too weathered to get real excited over anything a couple of old gun nuts could come up with! When the wagons circle we will all be pointing our guns in the same direction and that is what matters to this old Coot!

I am unfamiliar with your new purchase but, not to your Walther. Is the mag release on your new gun European(heel located)? I recently bought a Beretta model 92 with this sort of mag release and find it no more difficult to operate after handling it a bit.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I am unfamiliar with your new purchase but, not to your Walther. Is the mag release on your new gun European(heel located)? I recently bought a Beretta model 92 with this sort of mag release and find it no more difficult to operate after handling it a bit.
    Steve
    YUP, it be on the Heel.

Them Yurupeans, are behind the times.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

[QUOTE=gunbugs;1655641]
    Smitty, I wanna let you in on a little secret. That "V" on the end of Makarov ain't spose to be a big V. I don't want you to wear out your pinky finger from hitting that there shift key.

He's just having fun with the spelling/grammer Nazi. Me. It's OK, I have a lot of fun with it. Sometimes folks just get their panties in a twist when I point stuff out. It is all in good humor. For me, at least.

Well, you know,, if I type it that way Once, my pooter, just sorta wants to keep typin it that way.

Besides, I thought it made me Accountable, as in admitting my mistake.

I'm not/was not, offended.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Saw that Makarov at the gun show , had one in 9 X 18 for years they suddenly have gone way up in value since they quit importing them, great little pistol and well thought of. Quite accurate, gave mine to my son, looked on Gun Broker and some them are over $600 now. Had a lot of recoil being its straight blow back in the 9 x 18, had quite a bit of Russian ammo that was marked $2 a box of 25! That went to my son.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Saw that Makarov at the gun show , had one in 9 X 18 for years they suddenly have gone way up in value since they quit importing them, great little pistol and well thought of. Quite accurate, gave mine to my son, looked on Gun Broker and some them are over $600 now. Had a lot of recoil being its straight blow back in the 9 x 18, had quite a bit of Russian ammo that was marked $2 a box of 25! That went to my son.
    I wanted 380, and wouldn't have bought one in 9x18, but there's probably someplace in Anch where 9x18 is available. I gather there is a variety, but not everybody sells it. 9x18 is a good cartridge, slightly more powerful than 380.

But, you knew that.
    Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Nice Smitty, congrats on the new Makarov, have you shot it yet. Whatcha think? Boondockers has 9x18 mak, Several flavours.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Nice Smitty, congrats on the new Makarov, have you shot it yet. Whatcha think? Boondockers has 9x18 mak, Several flavours.
    Oh yeah.

I shot it, and will shoot it a lot more. I put a drop of white paint on both sides of the rear sight, and on the front sight. I reckon it's accurate enough for Wabbit huntin. SO, it should work for a field gun, that's more powerful than a 22LR.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

HOKAY, Boondocks, have got it, AND, I was in SW, today, and Low, and behold, they had some 9x18 Mak.. maybe 10 ---15 boxes S&B. That's encouraging to a 9x18 shooter, cuz not some furin unknown kind. It will probably be gone soon. I've never seen it in there before. I do not recall the price. Maybe it's not as scarce as I thunk.

SW must sell TONS of ammo. If you see a brand you like, get it while you can, next time, it might not be there.

Since my recent interest in Otto peestolas, I've Been buyin 45 ACP, 9mm
    Luger, and 380 ACP. The only one of those, I load for is 45 ACP.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I remember back when my buddy Butch had one of those he went to gun shows with the sole purpose of finding 9x18 ammo. If he found some then he bought a lot of it. Now they are selling it in stores again. Butch went and died to soon!

I remember back when my buddy Butch had one of those he went to gun shows with the sole purpose of finding 9x18 ammo. If he found some then he bought a lot of it. Now they are selling it in stores again. Butch went and died to soon!
    Did Bootch use his Makarov for anything in particular? Or did he just like to shoot it?

It could work for CC. Some folks pack bigger guns. I haven't decided what roll mine will play.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Butch carried his. You’ve seen snuff can circles in guys back pockets where they always have their snuff can? Well Butch’s bibbed overalls had a Makarov shape spot in the right back pocket!

Butch was also a big fan of the Tokarev pistol and 7.62x25 ammo. Butch didn’t believe in having any debt and lived with/ took care of his mother so it would be nothing for him to send his entire paycheck to some outfit in Shotgun News for pistol ammo whether it be 9x18 or 762x25. He could shoot both very well too! I remember him making an incredible shot on a jack rabbit back in the good ole days with one of his “Rooskie” pistols but don’t remember for certain which one.

Butch carried his. You’ve seen snuff can circles in guys back pockets where they always have their snuff can? Well Butch’s bibbed overalls had a Makarov shape spot in the right back pocket!

Butch was also a big fan of the Tokarev pistol and 7.62x25 ammo. Butch didn’t believe in having any debt and lived with/ took care of his mother so it would be nothing for him to send his entire paycheck to some outfit in Shotgun News for pistol ammo whether it be 9x18 or 762x25. He could shoot both very well too! I remember him making an incredible shot on a jack rabbit back in the good ole days with one of his “Rooskie” pistols but don’t remember for certain which one.
    I take it that Bootch war mar than a casual user.

Did you ever shoot his Tokarev 7.62x25? What was your impression of that high velocity cartridge? It is unusual, to say the least.

I've seen positive reviews.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12