Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Seat!

Default Open Seat!

Ok, here it is... Discussion about this type of thread was positive so we are going to give it a try.

This thread is for members to advertise an open seat on a fishing trip that they would like to fill. This is NOT a thread to post requests to be taken fishing. Also, please don't post messages that are simply discussion about this thread. We want to keep this thread as clean and easy to read as possible.

Those inviting -

If you are heading out on a fishing trip and have room for one (or ??) more and would like to invite someone to VOLUNTARILY (don't post a price) help out with $$ for gas/gear/food/whatever, post it here. Please be specific with dates/times/species/etc... so there is as little confusion as possible.

Once the seat is filled please make a post that says just that. After the date of the trip has passed, the moderator team will delete the related posts.

Those responding to the invitation -
    Please respond to the open seat ad by sending a PM to the person making the offer. Do not post responses to invites on this thread, they will be deleted in order to keep things more sanitary.

This is a work in progress, so if you see something that will streamline the process, send a PM to myself or Daveinthebush and we will try to implement it.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by AKmud; 06-26-2007 at 02:05.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Charter vs. Pleasure Boat use...

Quote Originally Posted by jymcat View Post
    Hi what would be the price for both the Whitter trip and the Seward one. Want to send my hubby - a serious fishman on a trip. Thanks for the info and look forward to hearing from you.
    Hi jymcat, and welcome to the ODD forums! ;-)

Note that the "open seat" trips are not charters. These are private individuals with boats (or trucks in the case of some of the previous posts) that have room for one or more "friends" to join the fun. If a price is placed on the seat or the trip, then legally it's considered a charter, and is subject to different rules, regulations, inspections, licensing, insurance, etc.

Anyone looking for a fishing partner here shouldn't expect ANY payment for the trip (that's kinda like stepping on my toes as a charter operator), but they all certainly appreciate anyone who chips in a few bucks for fuel on a purely voluntary basis.

I only bring this up because of a situation I was in the other day... My family and I were out halibut fishing aboard the Can Can - NOT on a charter. The local NOAA/NMFS enforcement boat pulled up, and was about to write me a ticket because I was fishing and had 1 halibut in the boat myself. When I explained that this was my family, and I wasn't on a charter, he pulled my wife aside and asked her if she had paid any money to come out on the charter boat. She replied that she wrote the check at the fuel dock that morning, and she made lunches for everyone. In the enforcement officer's opinion, that constituted the USCG definition of "passengers for hire", and it was only after I cited several federal statutes and produced a letter from the local CG district that things were clarified and the officer went on his way.

Sorry... I didn't mean to hijack the open seat threads. Admins should feel free to pull or move this post if they deem necessary... I won't take it personally! ;-) I do, however, want everyone to appreciate the extreme value and kindness being expressed when someone posts here offering to take people out on their boats, and know that there is no price that can be placed on such a service.

Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by dtol View Post
    Do you have a site for or could you post the citations or documents that you informed the officer of?? It could help those of us that wish to take advantage of share-cost opportunities.
    The vast majority of my discussion with the NOAA officer was trying to agree on the definition of a "passenger for hire" - once we agreed that "for hire" meant I was getting paid for the passenger to be there, this section of 46CFR did the trick...
    ------------
    [CITE: 46USC2101]
    TITLE 46--SHIPPING
    Subtitle II--Vessels and Seamen
    Part A--General Provisions
    CHAPTER 21--GENERAL
    Sec. 2101. General definition-
    In this subtitle--
    (5a) ``consideration'' means an economic benefit, inducement,
    right, or profit including pecuniary payment accruing to an
    individual, person, or entity, but not including a voluntary sharing
    of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or
    donation of fuel, food, beverage, or other supplies.
    ------------
    This is a bit of a legal/political discussion that probably doesn't belong here in "Open Seat"... the bottom line, however, is that the vessel owner/operator cannot REQUIRE any form of payment from the guests, but the guest may VOLUNTARILY chip in for fuel, etc. as long as the amount paid doesn't exceed the actual expenses for the trip.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please remember this thread is provided for those with boats (or whatever) who are heading out and have room for another person. It is NOT meant as a "please take me fishing" thread. If that type of thread would be useful, let me know and I'll stick another one precisely for that.

Also, respond to open seat offers via PM please so we can keep this thread cleaned up a bit.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Open Seat

Looks like this thread doesn't get used very much, but I'll give it a shot. I'm in Kodiak, have a boat w/ cabin, would be interested in taking someone out who knows the area in exchange for a share of gas and some lessons in the art of trolling. I'm new to both, and interested in learning more from an expert. Hit me up by PM and we can talk about a time.

Have mon thru thursday off. 14' otter.anyone free for a trip someware. Chena?

If you are experienced at running a boat, would love to fish out of Homer and are willing to pay for gas and bait drop me a line. My boat is fully quipped, but this is not a "charter". Contact me and I'll explain the situation.

Dave
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Good to see your out and about Dave good fishing to you!!!

Thx, man. I'm a far cry from the crutches I was having to use when I first broke my hip. I can almost walk normally now. Look out fish!!!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Going to be in Ketchikan on 9/19, 20 and 21 taking rental boats out (20' or thereabouts). Would be glad to have someone who is somewhat familiar with the area join me on at least one of those days.

Caveat - I plan to spend an hour or so each day fishing DEEP, like 1,200 -1,800 feet.

Default Juneau seats available

Juneau area. I often have 1-2 seats available. 18" Lund skiff. Salmon or Halibut.

Will be in town most the summer so PM me.

We are headed out of Seward next saturday on the Offshore Hunter. This is a 34' Catamaran and is operated by captain Nate from Alaska Coastal Ventures. Right now we still need to fill 3 spots. We are going out to try and win the Halibut Derby. This captain knows what he is doing and is a good friend. Post Message me if your interested in going on our hardcore fishing trip.

Last chance to go out of Seward this Saturday. Price is $271 total with tax. I know the captain and he always puts you on good quality fish. 2 spots left. Text or Call Patrick at 907-748-1116

Going to Valdez on Labor Day weekend for the Silver Derby. Looking for a fishing partner. I will be leaving Fairbanks around 7am on the 30th and will return on the 3rd. I have a 20' boat with trolling gear and shrimp pots.

Quote Originally Posted by bifisheman View Post
    Going to Valdez on Labor Day weekend for the Silver Derby. Looking for a fishing partner. I will be leaving Fairbanks around 7am on the 30th and will return on the 3rd. I have a 20' boat with trolling gear and shrimp pots.
    Can't PM you, you don't have enough posts. I'm almost 100% going as well using a 21' boat. Maybe we can at least compare notes on the water as to whether or not we're finding fish?

Will likely be going out of Valdez for silvers Saturday. Fair chance I'll have an open seat. If you're down there and want to go out it wouldn't hurt to check with me.

PM me here by tomorrow night and I'll get back to you. Help with gas and docking is all I ask in return. No drinking or smoking please.

I am looking to fill 2 spots on August 13-14 on a overnight fishing charter out of Whittier that I booked but 2 friends backed out. I am posting here because if you are on this forum you are probabally as gung-ho about fishing as me. We will be targeting Halibut but hope to catch the occasional yellow eye and ling cod. If the silvers are in we will be after them also. Bachelor type meals and fresh sleeping bags and pillows are included. Message me and I can get you the charters website. The price is 700 a person which you would pay to the guide over the phone. I have a few people interested but the first group of 2 to pay the guide gets it. Please no individuals, just a group of 2 hardcore fisherman like my buddy and I.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

21-26 Jun 2013 I will be making runs to fish halibut out of Seward, to PWS. The plan is to leave afternoon/evening on one day and return the next. This will allow a double limit. I expect trips to be 20/21, 22/23, and 25/26 Jun, but this could change due to weather or other circumstances. I will be using my boat and the priority will be halibut, then rockfish. I've made the trip many times, but have never done the overnight routine.

I expect to have one or two seats available for each trip. This has always been a "guys" outing, so I'm limiting this to adults. I won't exclude females, but I have a 10'X10' wheel house and there isn't much privacy.

So, if you're interested in a halibut adventure PM me. If I get multiple responses I'll establish a waiting list based on first come, first to go fishing.

That's an amazing offer. Speaks volumes about the caption. Tight lines and fat fish to all that take him up on it. I would but I work.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

22/23 is taken. Still have room on 20/21 & 25/26.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast