Thread: Seriously

Default Seriously

If I catch the boat robbing pots in tutka Iím not gonna be nice. Get your own bait and do your own work. *******.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

How do you know it was robbed?

Quote Originally Posted by akfunhog View Post
    I can tell you there's at least one octo in there this year if not more! If you want to know if your pot is being robbed, you need to come up with a system that a thief would have to compromise in order to pull off get into your pot. It's easy to tape the drawcord with a certain colored tape that he would have to cut and surely would not have on board to replace it. But he might reach thru the tunnel to get the crab (tho I doubt a pot thief is willing to take much time to cover his tracks) so that doesn't always work. The best way is to rig the line to see if it's being pulled. There are a few simple ways to do this- not going to mention on here. A guy would have to be pretty gutsy to rob in tutka- not saying it doesn't happen tho.

People bothering other pots is and always will be a problem. If you shrimp or crab enough, it is going to happen. Even on Deadliest Catch they pull each others pots and fool with them. I still think that a system like they use up in New England might help. Where as, each pot has a different colored buoy, (like red, white and blue) and on the boat they have a flag matching the buoy. That way anyone can identify who is pulling the correct pots.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I only asked because there were massive ice pans in there the other day and I'm sure more than one person is going to go looking for their pot and be dismayed when its not where they left it; if they find it at all.

i can attest to atleast one octo there. I cut a leg off though so if you see a 7 legger take off another!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Iíve been fishing here 25 years. I know the tides, I know the ice flow patterns, and I know that if I drop a well baited pot in 390í and find it 1000 yds SW of its last known position in 530í 24 hrs later it was robbed.
    Ice carries it to the shallows, fills it with rocks, tears it up and itís never even close to where you left it. Also carries it straight out, not cross current.
    Not to mention there were three of us all robbed and our pots spread willy-nilly.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Iíve been fishing here 25 years. I know the tides, I know the ice flow patterns, and I know that if I drop a well baited pot in 390í and find it 1000 yds SW of its last known position in 530í 24 hrs later it was robbed.
    Ice carries it to the shallows, fills it with rocks, tears it up and itís never even close to where you left it. Also carries it straight out, not cross current.
    Not to mention there were three of us all robbed and our pots spread willy-nilly.

Dave, ..... With all the theft going on, why doesnít someone, or a few someones, do a little night camping out that way and catch the culprits? Seems a place like Tutka would be the ideal place to find out who these thieves are.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Dave, ..... With all the theft going on, why doesnít someone, or a few someones, do a little night camping out that way and catch the culprits? Seems a place like Tutka would be the ideal place to find out who these thieves are.
    Because itís cold and dark and what can you really do? If the troopers donít see it it basically wonít stand up, and itís not really the ďWild WestĒ here, no matter what the reality shows make it out to be. We just moved our pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. From your first post it sounded like you were hot enough that you would be able to keep yourself warm enough for a night out. We pretty much know the Troopers wonít do much and thatís all the more reason for the citizens to start standing up and doing something about it. If the thieves get outed to the rest of the community karma would surely have a way to come around on them and bite them where it matters. I heard of one thief that forgot to put his plug back in his boat upon return to the harbor. Needless to say his deck was certainly wet the following morning. I presume he knew he had been outed and was so concerned about the ramifications that he forgot his usual harboring procedure.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

I only asked that because everyone loves to claim they are being robbed (like shrimpers in the summer) but there is no way there are that many crooks with boats running around, but maybe I'm wrong. You have to be a pretty large jackass to be running around kbay in the middle of winter pulling peoples pots just to steal some crab. Thiefs generally steal things to make money. In this case they are spending money. I just don't see it.

There was so much ice in there last Thursday I'm not sure someone could have even gotten in there to pull a pot...nearly the entire trench was covered in ice.

I hope your wrong because I would like to have more faith than that in the boating community. If you're right I would be angry as well...

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post

Thief's generally steal things to make money. In this case they are spending money. I just don't see it.
    Well...Ö. people steal shrimp all the time over in Valdez. A common practice is to cut the buoy off and tie your own on. I found mine one day in 100 feet of water, all the doors open, and my buddies set, on top of mine. That was back when 5 pots was legal and I had to pull all 10 by hand. I pull my gear on holidays and long weekends. It is not worth leaving your gear out during those times.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.