Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 UCI BOF location revote. Again

Quote Originally Posted by AKPacman View Post
    Kudos Fun... You have an excellent grasp of the political maneuvering going on here and what the ramifications for private anglers and the resource might be under the Dunleavy / Penney era. Not good for the little guys.
    so if I follow this the board of fish changed the meeting location because a few people wanted it changed? What allows them or forces them to have to do another vote? If it is because the new governor or new commissioner says so then we have no purpose for a board and it is a waste of time not to mention money? If outcomes are being ordered by abuse of standing that is someone other than the board why have a board?

The Kenai Peninsula legislators all signed off on a letter to Chairman Morisky complaining about the lack of transparency and fairness in this recent action. Not sure if it will be visible if you aren't a FB member but here's a link to Senator Micciche's wall and a copy of the letter.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorPete...&theater&ifg=1
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    The Kenai Peninsula legislators all signed off on a letter to Chairman Morisky complaining about the lack of transparency and fairness in this recent action. Not sure if it will be visible if you aren't a FB member but here's a link to Senator Micciche's wall and a copy of the letter.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorPete...&theater&ifg=1
    I suppose going to the chairman is a step. The result they are looking for is probably a vote to change it back to Kenai. Is there a legal issue that could nullify the vote? Can the board be taken to court over it?. I was toldd yesterday this has been voted on three times. First to have meeting in Anchorage then changed to Kenai now changed back to Anchorage. I would say there is a problem with the board.

If this was an actual regulation change it would be a no-brainer that public process was not followed. Since meeting location is really an administrative thing, it's a little more hazy, but I think anyone who does sue would certainly win for several reasons:

1. They did not follow board precedent set for public notice on this issue. Last time the issue came up there was a lot of public notice.
    2. Last time this issue came up, the (same) board established written policy for having a rotating meeting schedule, and recommended that the next meeting be in Kenai, then Matsu, then Anchorage. The recent decision seems to contradict their own written policy which they did not even mention in their haste to vote this through.

Apparently one board member made a vote on this, hoping for some reciprocation through Reed's votes on some AYK issues, only to be disappointed. Sounds like Reed is a short-timer on the board and is doing what he wants. The vote trading issue is a problem.

If I was going to guess (I was not there), I'd say the order to make this happen came down from Huber, and was carried out by Ben Mulligan, who showed up shortly before lunch and was seen lecturing Ruffner after the vote.

I have a hard time seeing the rationale behind spending so much political capital on moving the meeting location, but I suspect that they weren't worried about shooting the board's credibility in the foot, since that would be a perfect excuse to make YUGE changes to the process. You know, constitutional amendments and the like...

I should not have implied that vote trading was taking place. I was speculating and donít know that it happened. Alas, I cannot delete, so I shall apologize.

Kenai/Soldotna and Central Peninsula ACís both submitted letters to the BOF asking for reconsideration, and Kenai/Soldotna City Managers along with KPB Mayor penned an awesome letter to the board detailing what happened, why it was not appropriate, and asking for them to rescind the decision. Regardless of where the meeting ends up, pretty cool to see the community band together on a fish issue!

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    I should not have implied that vote trading was taking place. I was speculating and donít know that it happened. Alas, I cannot delete, so I shall apologize.
    Moderators can delete your not-so-well-thought-out posts, if you PM and ask very nicely.....don't ask me how I know this....
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12