Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger's brilliant new move

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Well you could just unscrew it, Like everyone else is doing. Or do it your way and take a hacksaw to it..
    I wouldn't cut it, myself. I'd have it done by a Gunsmith.

I'm bettin that the trend toward dressing up standard factory rifles as special offerings will continue. Adding features is a proven marketing plan.

As I understand it, this "Go Wild" difference, is just a Camo stock, copper color Cerro coating, and AR magazine. AND, it is pleasing to the eye.

It's not my cup of tea, mainly because of the brake, unless there was a thread cover.

When I first learned of the Ruger American, it was from this very Forum, and folks were dirty mouthing it. I was Right, when I said it would be popular. I didn't know how right I was.

I've no problem with them. I understand their appeal. I do have a reservation,that may be more perception than reality. The RAs look to be too flimsy for an Alaska Rifle..

My apologies to those who find that offensive..

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

What turns me off about most of the "modern" bolt action sporting rifles are the cheap molded plastic stocks. I just can't do it, myself.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Yup. I'm been a wood guy all my life, and I'm too old to change now.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

The only reason I like these cheaper offerings is because I donít feel bad painting them white and throwing them behind the seat like a hammer in a tool box. Iíd feel real bad about painting my FN Winchester Light Coyote with Rustoleum flat white primer. Stainless fluted barrels, HSP stocks and VXIII Varmint scopes were not meant for painting white and holding fences down with. At least I canít do it!

The other night I brought the white painted Compass in and popped the mag out and set it on the shelf the leaned the gun against the door trim. A few minutes later my dog Roy heard my wifeís car pull in so he charged to the back door to greet her. I heard the Compass go flying across the floor. Roy was afraid he was in trouble but I buttered him up and said no worries buddy, my fault and ya canít hurt that one much. Everyone needs a cheaper rifle for hunting in the rain that can double as a club if it needs to. Besides I remember back when I had a 200 Savage Stevens as a truck gun. All of these new cheap end rifles are a step up from that thing.

The bronze Ruger American ďWildĒ had trimmer lines than usual. The muzzle brake was more streamlined and didnít look like a dog turd stuck on the end of a gun. Also it was in 450 Bushmaster which is a cartridge that has found itself at home here abouts for deer hunting. It fits the straight wall requirements and functions well in a bolt action. They sell like hot cakes in these parts! I am in favor of them. It used to be everyone shot slugs in their bird barrels and they wounded more deer than they killed. The RA has accounted for a lot less of that nonsense. As for me...itís either a handgun or octagon barrel front stuffer for deer. Iím jut real picky about the shots that I take!

I might add that the muzzle brakes on the 450 are very effective....they actually work and arenít just for looks. I have sighted several in and they have recoil like 44 mag in a rifle with the brake and a 444 Marlin without!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Yup. I'm been a wood guy all my life, and I'm too old to change now.
    I am a wood guy too, for hunting rifles, but my duck guns are plastic stocked nowadays. I've spent too many rainy days sitting in a duck blind resulting in too many swollen and split wood stocks. And I like to paint 'em up too.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    The only reason I like these cheaper offerings is because I donít feel bad painting them white and throwing them behind the seat like a hammer in a tool box. Iíd feel real bad about painting my FN Winchester Light Coyote with Rustoleum flat white primer. Stainless fluted barrels, HSP stocks and VXIII Varmint scopes were not meant for painting white and holding fences down with. At least I canít do it!

The other night I brought the white painted Compass in and popped the mag out and set it on the shelf the leaned the gun against the door trim. A few minutes later my dog Roy heard my wifeís car pull in so he charged to the back door to greet her. I heard the Compass go flying across the floor. Roy was afraid he was in trouble but I buttered him up and said no worries buddy, my fault and ya canít hurt that one much. Everyone needs a cheaper rifle for hunting in the rain that can double as a club if it needs to. Besides I remember back when I had a 200 Savage Stevens as a truck gun. All of these new cheap end rifles are a step up from that thing.

The bronze Ruger American ďWildĒ had trimmer lines than usual. The muzzle brake was more streamlined and didnít look like a dog turd stuck on the end of a gun. Also it was in 450 Bushmaster which is a cartridge that has found itself at home here abouts for deer hunting. It fits the straight wall requirements and functions well in a bolt action. They sell like hot cakes in these parts! I am in favor of them. It used to be everyone shot slugs in their bird barrels and they wounded more deer than they killed. The RA has accounted for a lot less of that nonsense. As for me...itís either a handgun or octagon barrel front stuffer for deer. Iím jut real picky about the shots that I take!

I might add that the muzzle brakes on the 450 are very effective....they actually work and arenít just for looks. I have sighted several in and they have recoil like 44 mag in a rifle with the brake and a 444 Marlin without!
    I think rifles should be outlawed for use as Hockey Sticks. It can't be very safe, especially if they are loaded. And, you KNOW how those Hockey players get along with each other. The potential for serious injury, and even death , should not be ignored.

I like fine rifles with quality workmanship, that are valuable, and pleasing to the eye, but I appreciate what you are saying. There is a place, and a big place, for the UTILITY of a rifle.

I've a couple of what I call "Knock Around" guns. For rain, rough use, whatever. One is a 95 Chilean Mauser 7x57. It is Semi Sporterized, as is often done with those 93, 95 military guns, and I put on an adjustable Receiver sight, and a post front sight.

With the original stock, metal butt plate, metal trigger guard, and metal floor plate, it's solider than a brick sheet house. Shoots accurate, don't notice new scratches, don't mind the rain, or layin in the bottom of a canoe.

Look, it's snowing again. I should pitch it out in the driveway, so it's handy if a bear comes by when I'm shoveling.

If you like that Bronze gun, I'm sure it's a good'ern.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I am a wood guy too, for hunting rifles, but my duck guns are plastic stocked nowadays. I've spent too many rainy days sitting in a duck blind resulting in too many swollen and split wood stocks. And I like to paint 'em up too.
    Well, even my 36 year old duck gun is blued and wood. So far no problems from it getting soaked in the rain....knock on wood!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I think rifles should be outlawed for use as Hockey Sticks. It can't be very safe, especially if they are loaded. And, you KNOW how those Hockey players get along with each other. The potential for serious injury, and even death , should not be ignored.

I like fine rifles with quality workmanship, that are valuable, and pleasing to the eye, but I appreciate what you are saying. There is a place, and a big place, for the UTILITY of a rifle.

I've a couple of what I call "Knock Around" guns. For rain, rough use, whatever. One is a 95 Chilean Mauser 7x57. It is Semi Sporterized, as is often done with those 93, 95 military guns, and I put on an adjustable Receiver sight, and a post front sight.

With the original stock, metal butt plate, metal trigger guard, and metal floor plate, it's solider than a brick sheet house. Shoots accurate, don't notice new scratches, don't mind the rain, or layin in the bottom of a canoe.

Look, it's snowing again. I should pitch it out in the driveway, so it's handy if a bear comes by when I'm shoveling.

Smitty of the North
    Iíd just strap on my 44 Smitty and leave that 7x57 inside the back door. However you can throw it out in the drive if ya like🥴!

I like compact rifles even though I am medium sized. Bought a RA stainless compact with 18" tube. Son likes classic wood guns with longer tubes. We went on a Nilgai hunt in Deep South Texas in December. Many private ranches require 300 Win mag or larger as these are tough to kill and can run long distances with both lungs down. Spotted a large (+300 lbs) cow at about 700 yds, were able to close to 306 yds by rangefinder. My rifle is a 308, was shooting a factory load Barnes 150gr TTSX, one shot put animal down, destroyed left shoulder,took down both lungs broke right shoulder on exit and bone fragments lacerated liver. Rifle did everything I needed it to do. $369 plus $400 Nikon glass.

Smitty of the North
    Do you use factory or hand loads for your m95? I have been told that I have to be very careful with pressures because of the quality of metal the receivers were made.I have an m93 that I love but I'm afraid to load anything hot for that's why I was looking for one on a modern action.

Quote Originally Posted by misportsman View Post
    Do you use factory or hand loads for your m95? I have been told that I have to be very careful with pressures because of the quality of metal the receivers were made.I have an m93 that I love but I'm afraid to load anything hot for that's why I was looking for one on a modern action.
    I use HLs, but American FLs, 175 gr at bout 2400 fps, are loaded to be safe in these 93, 95 kind rifles. Furrin FLs MAY be too hot, I dunno.

I HL 175 gr Hornady RNs. Can't get the RNs anymore, I don't know that I ever chronoed them, but the Data says round 2400 fps. and safe in them old guns.

Those Small Ring, Mausers aren't as strong as a 98, however, I've seen guns like that chambered for 308, something I wouldn't do for caution.

Gunbugs, here on the Forum is a Gunsmith, and he could probably, confirm or correct me.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks Smitty appreciate the info!

Does anyone make 175gr round nose anymore? All I can find is soft points?

Quote Originally Posted by misportsman View Post
    Does anyone make 175gr round nose anymore? All I can find is soft points?
    I ain't found any. Probably not enough of a market for'em so they stopped making them. You can use Pointy bullets. They might be better, but I always had good accuracy with the Hornady RNs, both 175 and 150.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I think the new Montana will have to wait until next tax time. I found out there is a lipsey limited release of ruger hawkeye African 9.3x62, so I ordered one of them Instead.

I recently fell into a New Haven Model 70 push feed Featherweight, blue, synthetic stock, with 3-9 scope, chambered to .280 Remington. Put it into a 'take-off' Walnut featherweight stock, bedded it, and the way it shoots and feels, will likely be the one 7mm that'll be in the rack when they close the lid on me. About the only other .284 bore rifle I like, and there's been a fair string of 'em, was an old "dog leg bolt" M77 Ruger chambered to .284 Winchester. Only problem with that Ruger was that you couldn't hit a barn with it if you were standing inside! Shot patterns, not groups, and the brass was a helluva problem to find, and spendy when I did!
    One of the better .284 bullets I put downrange was the 154 Hornady flat base spire point, and the boys have used that bullet to shoot quite a few mulies and elk with the 7X57's I built for them. A little 'light' for some of the shooting you do 'up there', but seems to be plenty for what we poke around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    One of the better .284 bullets I put downrange was the 154 Hornady flat base spire point, and the boys have used that bullet to shoot quite a few mulies and elk with the 7X57's I built for them. A little 'light' for some of the shooting you do 'up there', but seems to be plenty for what we poke around here.
    Oh yeah. Near as I can reconstruct I started using that bullet in the mid-1960's in a Rem 700 in 7mm RemMag. Still one of my all-time favorite bullets and I buy them by the 1k to load in any case that will hold them. Killed a whole passel of game with them over the last 50+ years. No, they're not premium. No, they don't have high weight retention with hi impact vel. But they just keep on killing.

Don't recall who told me the story but evidently someone confronted Joyce Hornady about low weight retention on a recovered bullet. Hornady asked "How did you get the bullet back?", to which the guy responded "I cut it out of my kill." Hornady scratched his chin and though a minute, then said something to the effect "So you killed the animal. Tell me again, how my bullet failed."
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Just recently bought a M93 mauser in 7x57 for $125. Kind of a rough old gal but it shoots ok and came with a williams peep sight installed. Not going to try to get 7mm mag velocities but a 175gr cast at 1800/1900fps should do very well on the whitetail that are abundant here in MT. A long shot here might be 100yds.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Just recently bought a M93 mauser in 7x57 for $125. Kind of a rough old gal but it shoots ok and came with a williams peep sight installed. Not going to try to get 7mm mag velocities but a 175gr cast at 1800/1900fps should do very well on the whitetail that are abundant here in MT. A long shot here might be 100yds.
    I shoot cast bullets in my 95, too. And a lot of them. I don't cast anymore, but I've purchased several different designs. Usually, 130 to 160 gr.

( I wouldn't really pitch my rifle out in the snow in the driveway. I was just making the case for ruggedosity.)

I've owned several 93, 95 rifles over the years, and some, I believe were unsafe. Rusted real bad, but commercially painted black, and bores that were badly worn and rusted, so I'm not saying they are ALL good guns.
    You can't out-give God.

I shoot cast bullets in my 95, too. And a lot of them. I don't cast anymore, but I've purchased several different designs. Usually, 130 to 160 gr.

( I wouldn't really pitch my rifle out in the snow in the driveway. I was just making the case for ruggedosity.)

I've owned several 93, 95 rifles over the years, and some, I believe were unsafe. Rusted real bad, but commercially painted black, and bores that were badly worn and rusted, so I'm not saying they are ALL good guns.
    I was just funnin with ya Smitty, I knowed that you werenít gonna fling yer 7X57 out in the drive! I was just being a smart *****!

Darrell, there sure is something about a model 70 Featherweight that gives me warm fuzzies when I throw one to my shoulder. If there ever was a perfect cartridge for your neck of the woods the 280 would probably be it. Nice find!

Rbuck, I like the way you think. Killing a deer deader than a splitting wedge without blowing half the meat all over the trees is important to me! Iowa has gone to centerfire rifles using straight wall cases. We have guys loading 200 grain XTPs in 444s at 2800 FPS and blowing limbs clear off the deer. I shot a big doe at the tail end of gun season with my 357 mag 1894 lever gun with a 158 grain cast bullet running 1200 FPS. She was 70 yards. I got a complete boiler room pass through and a very short 25 yard blood trail with zero wasted meat! Ya can only kill em so dead!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast