Thread: Couch to Sheep hunt - advice

Default Couch to Sheep hunt - advice

Hey, I am sure if I searched back to last year I could probably find plenty of responses about this. I am thinking about doing a sheep hunt and have been talking to a couple of folks here in Fairbanks area who have been successful. The one thing I haven't talked to them about is, whats the best way starting right now to get into Sheep Shape when I am definitely not in shape now?
    and by not in shape I mean REALLY not in shape......
    My thought was to start going to the gym and walking on a tred mill with and incline or a stair stepper until it gets a bit warmer out and then Hiking some hills a few times a week and going on some hikes/walks. Also start doing a little weight lifting again and general muscle toning/building. THanks in Advance for any help and ideas.

Snowshoeing. Hills. With a pack on.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Snowshoeing. Hills. With a pack on.
    Itís going to suck, bad! But after a few times the pain will go away and come spring hiking on ground you will b amazed. Did this one winter many years ago w a new buddy trying to find bunnies and bear bait location while out n about. Did both successfully and when baiting opened we were both surprised how it ďdidnítĒ suck hauling in gear and such to the bait on snow. Hahahah we had trained while just having fun. Granted it wasnít 40 below....... but if youíre serious it will come easy. Baby steps...... donít need to do a 5 miler on first trip out. Just get out there - even gym for now. Aaaaaaand get the experienced hunters drunk to get them to spill some info.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nutrition, because you can't out hike your fork. Exercise is great, but it's only one component of improving your level of fitness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Pack on and get outside- cold weather will make you tougher mentally

If you're out of shape then you're probably not eating that well either. Start cutting back on the sugar and wheat products. As was mentioned, quality nutrition is a good thing. Stair stepper with ever increasing weight on your back, and good cardio workouts. But start slow, if you're that out of shape. Don't want to have a heart attack before you even get there!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Don't do too much too fast. Build slowly and set goals.

Iíve been working on nutrition and I know you guys are right. I have lost about 10 pounds, unfortunately several of those were ones I promised myself I would not gain over Christmas. But I am doing better, eating less overall and eating healthier options.
    ill have to look into snow shoes, I like that idea at least on the weekends, not sure I can do that during the week with the 5 kids and the wife but can do something on the weekend. I also have a lifting program that Iím going to be starting at the house again with some free weights. Thanks guys, good ideas as always!

Some of what you need to do might be a little beyond you right now. A good place to start without getting injured and having a setback (or worse) is to just start getting moving. So a few steps for you to consider.

Calculate your maximum safe heart rate. That's 220 - your age (so if you're 50 years old, it would be 170). You'll want to exercise where your heart is about 70-85% of that (in the 50 year old example, that would be 119 beats per minute up to 145). If you're in really bad shape, this might be a fast walk right now. As you keep at this, you'll be able to do more and more with less effort.

One caution with all of this is that you don't push it too hard or too often. If you do too much, it can actually set you back. You might do something like 10 minutes per day or 30 minutes 3x per week. This exercise can be anything that gets your heart rate up. Snowshoeing, hiking, walking, biking, treadmill, stairmaster, etc.

On your off days, strength training especially on your legs is a good idea. There are a lot of workouts that you can do with no gym equipment at all. Body weight squats, lunges, etc. If you're going to a gym, squats, leg presses, leg curls, etc. are all good choices.

Some people get a little intimidated by the thought of going to the gym for 1+ hours per day or more. You can really do a lot in just 10-30 minutes per day.

And....as you have pointed out already, every pound of body weight that you lose is a pound you don't have to haul up the mountain.

Good luck!

Start with normal hikes/ snowshoe trips. Later add a pack after a few trips. gradually increase the weight until you get fairly close to what you will be carrying in the field. i like to field test all of my equipment before taking it out there anyway, and these small day trips afford plenty of opportunities for that.

bear Bait and hike in all your gear. High rep low weight squats and lunges and hike with a pack and wear the boots you are wearing on the sheep hunt. Add in some running for cardio. Donít forget to stretch and warm up properly. I was stubborn last year and had almost season ending Achilles injuries that made the sheep hunt way harder than it needed to be.

I've got several old injuries including bad knees and hardware in my back, arthritis prevents me from being able to grip and lift weights. I have not been inside a gym in years, but I can still walk. Start eating clean and walk, walk in the boots and gear you will sheep hunt in. I'm in the Fairbanks area, maybe we can get our sheep shape group hikes on again, a few of us used to hike a bit together.

No Athlete, just persistent......

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

If you are in as bad of shape as you say, maybe a good general physical is in order to see if you are currently healthy enough to start such a program. Then maybe a talk with a nutritionist because as I see it: Input, output, diet and exercise are the four corner stones.

When exercising in a gym I like to go during off times when I can have the place almost to myself. I then set up 10-12 machines for the various body parts. I set the weights so that I can achieve 20 reps. If I exceed that, increase the weight and build back up to 20 again and repeat the process to build muscle. I go from machine to machine and it ends up being pretty much a cardio workout at the same time. I do believe light and repetitive is better than lifting 200 pounds once and calling it a workout.

One thing I think people forget is that coming down is often harder than going up especially on the knees. Building and strengthening the knees is important.

The whole trip is one step at a time. No one said how fast you have to take the steps. So there is no race up the mountain. It's gonna be there tomorrow and even the next day.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I'm in the Fairbanks area, maybe we can get our sheep shape group hikes on again, a few of us used to hike a bit together.
    I would be up for some Fairbanks forum members hikes.

I started my sheep/goat/hike in work outs last night, nothing major just some push ups/squats etc to get the heart rate up its hard now I have a todler in the house, need to clean the living room to have space to do anything!

Swimming is a good way to build up your cardiovascular system and get all them joint lubed up and working before you start pounding out miles.

Started a home workout with some weight lifting and Iíll be going to the local gym to hit the treadmill and stair stepper 3 times a week. If that doesnít work out then the gym has a preset circuit that does total body. Iíll run that if this home program doesnít work out.
    (Home Program is one of those beach body programs since my wife already had the membership- called LIFT4 focuses on lifting and High Intensity moves.)