Thread: New Release

Default New Release

Getting a thumb release for this season! I'm excited and I need to shoot more this year then last year. I didn't get any archery draws so was focused on rifle.
    I am going to try to upgrade my bow from my old Fred Bear Vapor 300 but I'm excited for a new release and a new year!

Draws are scheduled to come out on Feb. 15th so the web site says. You have plenty of time to practice. Good luck, archery hunting is awesome.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Dave, I meant before Moose season in September. HA!
    I know I didn't put in for as many different hunts and focused on a couple of the interior hunts and just put in more for those. Otherwise I'll be Harvest Ticketing it again.

I hunt the general season moose with a bow. Haven't been successful on it yet but at least I'm bow hunting. You could always take the bow along just in case you get a chance to stalk one.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Am interested in hearing how thumb release works for you. I have no experience with one but have often wanted to try. Too many on the market to choose from. Anyways if you could let us know how it goes would appreciate it.

I went to a thumb release a few years back. It is awkward (at best) the firs dozen or two times I used it. I found fairly quickly though that my anchor point became much more predictable and "set". The only negative thing is that on my first 3D shoot with one, I accidentally dropped it between the second and third targets so I had to attach a wrist strap. No velcro which I hate in hunting, so that is a plus too. To me, quieter that a traditional release style too. No negatives for me.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Like Roger45 said, they take a little getting used too. I find that going from a wrist strap style trigger release to a thumb break style helped me align my form a bit better. I was actually getting better grouping because of it. The difference in your anchor spot will be noticeable, but doable with slight adjustments and a bit of practice. I prefer one that has a swiveling jaw (True Fire), so no matter what angle my hand is in, the Du-loop is always straight up-n-down with no twist. Again, just a preference is all. Now after a few years with it, I can't stand the wrist strap styles anymore..