Thread: Help with a Remington 700

Default Help with a Remington 700

Looking for a few suggestions before bringing my rifle to a gunsmith. I've got a Remington 700 KS in 30-06 with a Timney trigger. The problem I'm having is that once fired the bolt will not open and the safety will not move. Once the action is loosened and removed it functions properly, until fired. Could it be stock interference, action screws too tight or too long? Any help would be much appreciated. Also, what are the proper torque specs for this rifle? Thanks, Jeff

Torque specs for the action and trigger guard screws.

Several things are possible here. With the bolt closed, check the front guard screw by slowly tightening it, and see if it locks the bolt closed. If it does, it is too long and should be shortened, usually 1 thread at a time until short enough to allow the bolt to close without interference. It is also possible that when the timney was installed, the stock was not relieved or inletted for the new trigger. The factory trigger and the timney do not have the same "footprint", or dimensions. The trigger bow on the timney could be rubbing on the bottom of the trigger guard as well, and would need to be shortened if it is. Check all this and get back to us. Good luck! Typically 35 inch pounds for the guard screws.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks gunbugs, I'll check those things out and I'll be sure to let you know what I came up with. Jeff

Well I took a little time this afternoon to look at my rifle. I did find a little interference between the pull weight adjustment screw on the trigger and the stock. I relieved the stock to eliminate that issue. I also found out that if the front trigger guard screw was tightened any more than "good and snug" the bolt would bind. Thinking the screw was too long, I took a few threads off (1 at a time as suggested by gunbugs) and ended up taking more than I wanted to off the screw (close to .125") and the bolt would still bind. The screw is as short as I dare make it at this point. Now it seems that if the front trigger guard screw is torqued to any more then about 17.5 in # the bolt binds. Is this "normal"?

Check the rear scope mount screw on the front ring. If it is too long, it will leave a mark on the left bolt lug. The overtravel may be set up too tight as well, preventing the sear from freely moving.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Rough chamber? That was the issue with the bolt locking on my 700 after firing a round. Are you leaving any odd marks on your fired brass?

Rough chamber won't lock the safety. Sounds like the trigger is not resetting forward, causing the safety to lock. The only reason I mention the screws being long, is I've seen it many times, when folks have used the wrong (long) screws in the front mount holes, or have over tightened the front guard screw, causing it to protrude into the front receiver ring and hit the bolt lug when closed. Also, many aftermarket triggers have long trigger shoes that can bind against the bottom of the trigger guard bow when everything is tight, and will interfere with the travel of the trigger.

I think I got it resolved. I believe it came down to over tightening the front trigger guard screw. Unfortunately I'm from the school of, "if tight is good then tighter is better". Tightened the screw to 12.5 in lbs. and everything works fine. Now I'm in search of a replacement screw that I "whittled" down! It only engages by a couple of threads. Thanks for all your help! Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OUGHTSIX View Post
    I think I got it resolved. I believe it came down to over tightening the front trigger guard screw. Unfortunately I'm from the school of, "if tight is good then tighter is better". Tightened the screw to 12.5 in lbs. and everything works fine. Now I'm in search of a replacement screw that I "whittled" down! It only engages by a couple of threads. Thanks for all your help! Jeff
    Not familiar with the KS but if its an ADL style blind magazine my advice to you would be to take the front screw out of the trigger guard. The rear guard screw will do a plenty adequate job of holding the trigger guard on. Also, that front guard screw can do funky things in terms of putting the receiver in a bind. If this works, cut the head off the front guard screw and super glue it in place to fill the front hole in the trigger guard. I run all my blind setups this way as advised by the guy who does my stock work. Hes got a fair share of fake wood plaques his rifles have won.

If your KS has the BDL style floorplate, there are only 2 screws to start with and you can disregard my advice.

Thanks for the tip gbflyer! The KS does have a blind magazine like an ADL. Like I mentioned in my previous post, just "snugging" up the front screw on the trigger guard seems to be the ticket...at least so far! Jeff