Thread: Dog on a sheep hunt?

Default Dog on a sheep hunt?

Curious what experiences people have had bringing their dogs on sheep hunts.

I have a blue heeler that goes on all of my solo hunt. Sheís great company and gets around great. I make her pack her own chow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been debating this for a couple years. I have a very fit border collie that trains with me in the mountains but have been reluctant to bring her on my sheep hunts as I would be very nervous during stream/river crossings.

I can see that.
    The area Iíve been hunting doesnít have any technical stream crossings.

I've brought my dog with me on several goat hunts. Just make sure your dog is in good shape, has excellent obedience, and knows to stay close.

Roger that...no worries with my border collie. She will stay right by my side and can definitely handle the trek...much better than me some days

Air Charter / Transporter

Took our family dogs on a goat hunt and they did great except that we had not conditioned their feet on shale and sharp rocks enough. One of the dogs was a hurting unit after a couple days. They had been with us on many many hikes that summer as we were getting in shape for the hunt. These hikes were both on trails and exploring new areas but not enough sharp rocks I guess.
    Adak Caribou Hunts
    dave@svahunts.com
    1(907)399-1775
    http://www.adakcaribouhunts.com/

As previous poster stated, it's extremely hard on dogs feet to traverse the shale and rocks. Dog booties are a must, preferably the cordura or tougher ones. They will wear them out fast so bring a bunch of pairs.

What packs are working for your dogs? I train with my Catahoula and havenít taken him on a trip because so far I havenít found a pack built decently that is comfortable for him. And yes booties are a must. And high energy pup chow for the trip.

We use a Ruffwear pack. We have used this pack on two different dogs and they seem to do great with it.
    Adak Caribou Hunts
    dave@svahunts.com
    1(907)399-1775

Keep them very close.
    With their instinct to herd, I nearly lost a border collie that was going back and forth between my partner and I as we were looking for a decent spot to pitch our tents with an approaching storm and nightfall.
    He caught his collar on an alder and panicked, twisted the collar and nearly asphyxiated before I could save him. I was cursing myself for having my knife in the pack, preventing me from cutting the collar quickly - fortunately, ended up breaking the alder in the struggle to get the collar off a fighting dog on a steep slope. Then he was in shock, shivering and had to be put in a sleeping bag overnight to recover. I thought I might have to pack him out, but he was just OK by morning. The collar was off thereafter!

Subsequently, I always consider what I might need in order to save a dog in the backcountry - if I take one along.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

This is a very good discussion and I appreciate all of the info. We train in summer without any type booties but am curious if yíall would recommend taking some if/when we take her hunting.

I highly recommend booties. As stated earlier, one of our dogs was pretty tender footed just after 2 days and that was after a summer of training and packing in weekly. Booties would have been a big help and saved the hunt had we taken longer than 2 days. We didn't train on shale or cliff rocks, which may have toughened their feet enough.
    Adak Caribou Hunts
    dave@svahunts.com
    1(907)399-1775

For early season hunts it depends on how much training in that type of rocky terrain you've done with the dog. And do not train without boots and then put boots on the dog for the first time on the hunt. That is just asking for trouble. I bring musher's secret with me even when there's no expectation of snow as I find it helps soothe my dog's paws at night and speedy her recovery of minor cuts. Feels pretty good on my feet and hands too when I start getting a hot spot.

I haven't yet found a saddle pack that works for my dog's frame, Please just aren't built anything like a lab! It seems to usually call for an XL chest, medium length, and small waist/neck so one of these days I'll just make my own so I don't have to keep carrying hey food up the mountain for her.

Yep very important to keep them on trail right with you at all times.....those food packs can come off and get lost in the brush, cutting your trip short....been there done that....
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    What packs are working for your dogs? I train with my Catahoula and havenít taken him on a trip because so far I havenít found a pack built decently that is comfortable for him. And yes booties are a must. And high energy pup chow for the trip.

A trick I was taught n havenít used but if ya can bring a few boiled eggs. Fast easy protein and yokes wonít hurt them as they are burning every calorie anyways n the cholesterol doesnít have time to cause harm. Heck in Asian stores ya can probably find similar. Usually bird eggs- some many many many years old..........