Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedding.........the lbs

Default Shedding.........the lbs

How much weight do you lose during hunting season? I lost 15lbs this last season. My hunting season runs Aug-Nov. However I lost 10lbs alone on a 15 day Kodiak hunt. I think I went into rut.........hehehe. Walk a lot, hunt driven, less eating. What's everybody else losing ....or gaining (camp cooks)?

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default Weight loss

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    How much weight do you lose during hunting season? I lost 15lbs this last season. My hunting season runs Aug-Nov. However I lost 10lbs alone on a 15 day Kodiak hunt. I think I went into rut.........hehehe. Walk a lot, hunt driven, less eating. What's everybody else losing ....or gaining (camp cooks)?
    I lost 41 pounds last year before I went on a combo grizzly/caribou horseback hunt in the Yukon. I was afraid the horse would collapse with my fat arse on board. The horse was happy and so was I----killed a nice silver tip grizzly and a fine caribou.

I usually loose 10-15 lbs during hunting season for all the pints you mentioned. Lots of hiking/climbing and not much eating. We often have to force ourselves to eat. I have started carrying a lot more candy to munch on while hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to shed some pounds now so I can do better hiking next year! 2018 saw me go up and down alot more ridges than I anticipated and one hunt definitely showed. So 2019 is the year I loose the weight before season! And then I'm sure all the hiking will get me down a bit more.

I never paid attention to how many pounds I lost during a hunt. But one thing that I will always remember, after an especially tough sheep hunt, when I got home my wife looked at my back side and said "I (literally) walked my ass off." Yep, half of it was gone after that hunt and according to her I never got it back!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I figure 12-15 pounds on a sheep hunt. Even bow hunting whitetails in NY last year I lost 5-6. No breakfast in the morning and no food in the stand.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I figure 12-15 pounds on a sheep hunt. Even bow hunting whitetails in NY last year I lost 5-6. No breakfast in the morning and no food in the stand.
    Daveinthebush,
    I need some breakfast in my gut if I am hunting whitetails in Tupper Lake !!!

A 8 days sheep Hunt I can drop 10lbs. I eat less sheep hunting than I do at home and am usually way less hungry.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I will usually drop about 5-6 lbs for every 2-3 days I'm away from the truck for the first week then I start to level out. Most I ever dropped was 26 lbs on a 16 day trip. When I'm hiking and hunting I just have very little appetite. Helps lighten the pack up too when going lightweight knowing I will struggle to finish even 1500 calories a day

i like to think of it as how much weight to i gain when i'm not hunting. about 10 pounds.

I generally put on 5+ or so pounds in the Fall, hunting fat Caribou Bulls...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Come January/Febuary, i lose that and way more to the cold.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by alottabs View Post
    Daveinthebush,
    I need some breakfast in my gut if I am hunting whitetails in Tupper Lake !!!
    Its a matter of surviving cancer treatment. If I have input, output is usually a half our away. So no food prior to heading to the stand in the morning or I might be scenting up the area.
    We used to have a camp up north of Old Forge. Loved going there until the coyotes invaded the area and cleaned out the deer population.

...Loved going there until the coyotes invaded the area and cleaned out the deer population.
    Da*n coyotes! Is there anyplace that still has a bounty on them, or is that a thing of the past? From the sounds of it, it seems like most of the country needs to reenact one!

I don't know about any place with bounties. I call it an "opportunity shot" if I see one. I kill all of them. I used to go to the camp in the spring near fawning time. The yotes would spread out in a line and just walk thru the woods clearing out the fawns. One year I think I found 4-5 hair piles in our yarding area. Can't say that the yotes killed them but not much else in that area for predators. So I kill em all.

I don't know about any place with bounties. I call it an "opportunity shot" if I see one. I kill all of them. I used to go to the camp in the spring near fawning time. The yotes would spread out in a line and just walk thru the woods clearing out the fawns. One year I think I found 4-5 hair piles in our yarding area. Can't say that the yotes killed them but not much else in that area for predators. So I kill em all.
    I trapped 28 coyotes year before last and shot 2 others. May have been a few less last year but this year the population is high once again. It is virtually impossible to totally rid an area of coyotes. You can only hope to keep them in check. I agree with Dave---kill every one you see!! They should have an open season on them year round!

...They should have an open season on them year round!
    Up here, not in all units, but in many, there is no limit and no closed season.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Up here, not in all units, but in many, there is no limit and no closed season.
    It should be like that everywhere. They are a plague !

It should be like that everywhere. They are a plague !
    And getting bolder and bolder all the time. My ex-brother-in-law was looking all over for my niece's cat. He ended up going out back just in time to see it in a coyote's mouth. He yelled and it dropped the cat but it was too late. And this was right around Vegas!

Awhile back I couldn't believe watching a video, and seeing it with my own eyes, two yotes taking down a mature whitetail buck! Up until then I really had no idea they would even attempt that, much less be successful...!!!

Supporting Member

I watched one stalk a nice mule deer down in WY. This was a very big buck that was bedded down and coyote was slowly crawling in and on him. They winded me and the buck took off.

I have also seen coyotes chase bull elk. Which I found surprising. A mature bull is easily capable of killing a coyote, but those coyotes are bold......and elk are cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaENGR1 View Post

I have also seen coyotes chase bull elk. Which I found surprising. A mature bull is easily capable of killing a coyote,
    I pretty much believed a big whitetail buck could too! Probably depends on the size of the yote I guess. I have seen some pretty big yotes before....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast