Thread: Great Alaska 2018 First Shot Survey Results!

Default Great Alaska 2018 First Shot Survey Results!

Great Alaska 2018 First Shot Survey Results! Long and loud drum roll and raise the curtain! We had over 30 responders reporting results, the more the better.

I'm thinking some of the shots may have been taken from stands, which will show closer shots then normal stalk and spot hunting, as we all know. Maybe next year I will get ambitious and ask that we do stand rifle hunts in a another way, heck I don't know so share what you think on that.

Moose - 21 reported, average shot distance 123 yards. Longest shot 504 yards and closest 6 yards.

Caribou- 23 reported, average shot 166 yards. Longest 425 yards and closest 10 yards.

Bison- 3 reported, 360, 200 and 110 yards for 223 yard average.

Elk one reported at 75 yards.

Deer- 22 reported at average shot of 65 yards. Longest 305 yards and closest 6 yards.

Sheep- 5 reported, average shot 146 yards.

Goat- one reported at 60 yards

Black Bear- 5 reported, average shot 86 yards. Longest 209 yards and closest 20 yards.

Brown/grizzly- 6 reported. Longest shot 136 yards and closest 15 yards.

All together the average first shot distance this year came out at 128 yards. Down considerably from previous years and I think the next lowest average was around 150 yards.

As I said earlier, some of these shots may have been rifle shots from stands, which will lower the average distance considerably. Still, we have never averaged over 190 yards, which I personally find quite admirable and believe you all deserve a pat on the back for keeping shots close if possible!

Honorable mention for the wolverine taken at 60 yards and the guy blasting a coyote with a 250 grain X bullet from a .338!
    Always use enough gun!

Have a great winter and hang in there, spring is a coming!......Steve

Very interesting and thanks for sharing! I know it is a small sample size but I am amazed how short the average distances are, especially for sheep. Hopefully this means people are taking the effort to get closer and take better shots as I know most of us (myself included) practice primarily at 100 yards and 300 yards at the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post

Still, we have never averaged over 190 yards, which I personally find quite admirable and believe you all deserve a pat on the back for keeping shots close if possible!
    I have to believe that even in this day in age, like bird dogs, because of the thousands of years we've been doing it, hunting is still somewhat instinctive in a lot of, if not all men. I mean we are predators, and most predators, even the fastest, instinctively try and get as close to their quarry as possible before attempting the kill. Even in this high tech age where we have super velocity, 1000 plus yard shots possible, it still doesn't seem to keep most from wanting to close the distance before the shot. I know I rarely pull up and shoot when I spot game, even if it's well within range when I first spot it. Instinct seems to always take over and I don't even think about it, just slowly close the distance if possible....even if it's only a few yards.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I agree with you to an extent 4mer. However those of us who take “long shots” on game won’t participate in these polls to avoid the barrage of disrespectful comments. Therefore those polled don’t necessarily represent all Alaskan hunters just as the OP mentioned. Sometimes it’s just not worth the fight. I hunt moose in an area where shots can be “long” with no way to get closer therefore I practice and am confident in my abilities and equipment to make those shots.

I know I was one of those that responded with a 6 yard moose kill (I think there were more than 1 reported), and I did not shoot it from a stand. Spotted him more than 1/2 a mile away and stalked in on him.

As for the long distance shots, as long as the shooter is able to make a clean kill and is properly prepared for that shot distance, doesn't bother me. I've done a fair amount of long range shooting before (longest kill was 1 shot on a doe antelope at 1,276 yards), and have killed lots of animals in the 400-600 yard ranges, but I've learned that I enjoy the hunt a lot more when I try to get in as close as I can to make the shot.

I am not the moral authority on how far one should shoot, but I do know how far my limit is. I look at it this way, in 53 years of hunting Alaska I have never wounded and animal and had it get away other then a grouse and I felt bad bout that. I want to go to the grave with that record intact.

If some one can shoot long and does not wound animals, have at it.

If any of you want to post and believe some will give you a bunch of crap then PM with your shots next year and I will add them and keep my mouth shut about who it is. This survey is unscientific, limited in scope and there are a whole bunch of hunters that don't respond or frequent this forum. What I am doing is providing a small window into what Alaskan hunters do.

Above all else is I am just trying to have a little fun and stay out of my wife's hair and get through the winter. God Bless and good shooting to you all!

Thank you .338 mag. I enjoy your work. And thanks to those that share their shots.

Comfortable shooting distances vary from hunter to hunter as it should. I was told by a wise man that if a person shoots an animal and they are surprised they hit it they probably should not have taken the shot.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    I practice and am confident in my abilities and equipment to make those shots.
    That's the key right there, imo. It's the person that thinks just because his gun will reach out that far, but really has no idea what they are doing, is who I have a problem with shooting extra long distances. Our big game animals deserve more than that. I won't shoot, what I call long distances, because I just haven't practiced enough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
    but I've learned that I enjoy the hunt a lot more when I try to get in as close as I can to make the shot.

It's adds a whole different element to the hunt that I value a lot.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

.338 killin me sir. hahaha. Good laughs this morning.
    "blasting a coyote with a 250 grain X bullet from a .338! Always use enough gun! "
    "just trying to have a little fun and stay out of my wife's hair and get through the winter"