Thread: Remington 783

Default Remington 783

I have a Remington :83 .300 win mag with a synthetic stock that I have used as my long range deer rifle ( over farm fields) here in Michigan. Its very accurate and functions.flawlessly but they seam to have bad reviews. My question is do any of you have any experience with this model in the harsh conditions in the Alaskan bush and how it would hold up there, maybe even on a goat hunt on Kodiak Island

Given your experience with the rifle, I wouldn't give a crap about what anyone else thinks of it. Have you used it in rain & snow? If you have and had no issues, your question is answered.

What he said^

I got one in 7/08 for one of my kids and our experience is the same as yours - itís accurate and goes bang when itís supposed to and weíve had it in rain, snow and in fairly cold weather

they do get a bad rap though

Quote Originally Posted by misportsman View Post
    My question is do any of you have any experience with this model in the harsh conditions in the Alaskan bush and how it would hold up there, maybe even on a goat hunt on Kodiak Island
    Yeah, it doesn't really matter what kind of game you're after, if it holds up to the elements and continues to do what you want, then it's good enough for Alaska too. The only thing you might want to change is how you lube it when it comes to use in sub zero weather. But I do believe you can get pretty cold there in Michigan too. I've been using a blued 700 w/ walnut stock for 30+ years and it's always produced when asked. I did however glass bed it which I do believe helps....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have custom rifles that I don't pack around very much and a couple of factory direct rifles that I carry all the time. Point being, I use what works. Keep it clean and you should be fine. I would hesitate to suggest a gun that is blued for the very wet conditions Kodiak will have, but that has nothing to do with the 783 specifically. You can mitigate the problems with blued rifles while in the field, it has been done thousands of times before you. Come on up and shoot some stuff, welcome.

Who cares what others think or about reviews. Use what you like, have, and can afford. I'm a gun dealer and put together plenty of custom and semi-custom rifles each year (I love doing it!), but for the average guy, a rifle out of the box will do almost everything you could ask of it. Modern manufacturing is really good and even budget rifles typically shoot very well for 300-400 yards (usually better than the shooter). The 783 falls into that category (like a Ruger American, Savage Axis, TC Compass, etc.) It isn't a perfect rifle with exact tolerances and the plastic stock is bulky, BUT it works. It isn't a lightweight mountain rifle, BUT it works... you get it. It just works.

I got a free brand new 783 about 7-8 years ago in 7mm RM. I put a scope on it and was going to sell it as a inexpensive package. I even zeroed it at 100 in about 10 shots. Long story short, despite many other rifles to choose from it went as the backup rifle for a for 10 day hunt out of Kotzebue because it was the last rifle I zeroed and didn't have time to check another one. The weather was mostly crappy as can be expected in September. Ended up using the rifle instead of a bow and... wait for it... it worked... just fine. Killed two great caribou with it. I liked not worrying about a $1,000+ rifle getting beat up or rusty.

I really love a perfectly done custom rifle and high-end guns with every detail thought of, but they are like higher end sports cars. I just need to get where I'm going and not do zero to 60 in 3 seconds in an expensive paint job. They are nice to have, but no one needs one. Use your 783 and don't look back. If weather and corrosion are your main concerns think about getting it black ice coated or cerakoted.

Thank you all. Kjh, that is very helpful! Yes the weather and corrosion is main concern. Usually I wipe my rifles down with rem oil every time I get in and that has worked fine here in our rain and snow, just worried that somewhere like Kodiak that wouldn't be enough. The other thing I am worried about is the stock. I have heard the material it is made of is not of good quality and I don't want to be 1/2 up a mountain and bang it on a rock and brake it. Other then that I love the way it shoots and of all my rifles that being a .300 win mag seems the most suitable for the task.

I agree with all the comments. You have a good gun to kill anything you are going to hunt in Alaska. Lube it up with a good low temp oil, sparingly, and you will be OK. Wipe it down if needed and don't worry about the stock. Unless you have a dramatic fall or drop, you should be OK. Anything can break and if you are on a goat hunt, your guide might have a backup. Be prepared to shoot long range, as I assume you are already here in Michigan. Good luck and give a hunt report

If weather and corrosion are your main concerns think about getting it black ice coated or cerakoted.[/QUOTE]
    Would cerakote be durable enough or would it scratch off in the field?

It would be fine.