Thread: Fur Buyers

Default Fur Buyers

Just curious where or who you sell your furs to? And do you usually sell them tanned or un-tanned?

I get all mine tanned then give them away to my wife She turns them into all sorts of nice warm things. Sometimes she even lets me buy a new snogog to trap her more fur
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Okay, so I find it hard to believe that nobody on here has any clue about where or who they sell their furs to. So, I'm taking the hint that nobody wants to share because they don't want any competition. I can totally respect that. I'm not trying to step on anybody's toes. FYI, I don't do a lot of trapping. And I don't intend on stealing anybody's trade secrets or anything. I'm just looking for some general info. My son and I would like to sell a few of our furs. Not trying to make a ton of money. Just enough to offset the cost of gas etc. So would anybody be willing to help a brother out please? I don't need specific names and numbers. Maybe just point me in the right direction. Where do we begin? So far we've just sold our furs to friends and family. But it would be nice to make a little extra profit in order to offset our travel expenses and such. Also, how do you know if you are getting a fair market value for your furs? And is it usually more profitable to sell your furs raw or after they are tanned? Obviously the tanned furs are more valuable, but do you get more money back for your effort if you get them tanned, or is it just a waist of time? Thanks for any help. And please PM me if you are hesitant to share info online.

Nafa or tanned and sold local

With low market/auction prices, I mostly send fur off to Moyles and sell to a small local following. I'm not willing to send a XXXL otter to auction and get rewarded with a $28 check. It costs me around $30 per otter at Moyles including shipping both ways and in turn sell a tanned otter for $150. Coyotes are less profitable but I don't put much effort into setting for them. Lynx are closed in my area. Wolverine are taxidermy skinned, tanned and sold to a taxidermist. Wolf if not louse infected or mangy are tanned and hung on the wall. It helps if you know a local fur crafter.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorone View Post
    Nafa or tanned and sold local
    Quote Originally Posted by KasitsnaBay View Post
    With low market/auction prices, I mostly send fur off to Moyles and sell to a small local following. I'm not willing to send a XXXL otter to auction and get rewarded with a $28 check. It costs me around $30 per otter at Moyles including shipping both ways and in turn sell a tanned otter for $150. Coyotes are less profitable but I don't put much effort into setting for them. Lynx are closed in my area. Wolverine are taxidermy skinned, tanned and sold to a taxidermist. Wolf if not louse infected or mangy are tanned and hung on the wall. It helps if you know a local fur crafter.
    Thanks fellas. That helps a little bit.

Bill is fair if you just want to sell fur.

Bill Wivoda, Owner/Buyer

Phone: 907-750-1952
    Email: arcticrawfur@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by nooksack View Post
    Bill is fair if you just want to sell fur.

Bill Wivoda, Owner/Buyer

Phone: 907-750-1952
    Email: arcticrawfur@gmail.com
    Cool, thanks. Out of curiosity, do you normally sell him raw or tanned furs?

I don't normally, I have only sold raw.

Quote Originally Posted by nooksack View Post
    I don't normally, I have only sold raw.
    Thanks nooksack. Out of curiosity, do you sell them raw because it's more profitable or more convenient? I appreciate your input. Rep points sent bro.

I sold Bill several dozen lynx one year as I was not happy with the prices I was getting from NAFA.

I have never sold tanned to a middle man, only direct to customers. I used to have a lot of fur tanned with Gary at Alpha and then sell it over the summer. The put out of all that cash for tanning and getting it back slowly over the summer got old. I sold a lot of fur through NAFA but now that the prices are low I mainly sell to taxis through contacts i've made. I sell a few wolves when I get lice free ones to whomever I know wants one. I could probably catch a small pile of coyotes but not sure its worth it to send to NAFA. Probably too wooly with cast bellies. I had a fella a few years back who I sold coyotes to in the round and that worked well for both of us as i sold them pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Cool, thanks. Out of curiosity, do you normally sell him raw or tanned furs?
    Bushwack, fur buyers only buy raw dried skins. I am not aware of anyone that buys tanned fur like furbuyers do. Bill Wivoda is the receiving agent for NAFA. Does he still buy outright, Nooksak? Joe Mattie, Alaska Raw Fur Co., in Fbks is the receiving agent for Fur Harvesters. Does Joe buy outright?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Bushwack, fur buyers only buy raw dried skins. I am not aware of anyone that buys tanned fur like furbuyers do. Bill Wivoda is the receiving agent for NAFA. Does he still buy outright, Nooksak? Joe Mattie, Alaska Raw Fur Co., in Fbks is the receiving agent for Fur Harvesters. Does Joe buy outright?
    Cool, thanks. Good info.

So could a guy tan his hides and sell them at fur rondy and other such events or would he have to have a vendor liscense. I kind of thought you could get a pretty good price selling them to tourists or directly to a furrier. Then again a furrier would probably want to get them as cheap as possible.

I believe so as a friend talked to him a few weeks back about selling some wolverine to him.