Thread: Recommendations for an Arctic Parka

Default Recommendations for an Arctic Parka

Hello Gang,

I would like to buy my wife a really warm Arctic Parka lined with a fur ruff around the hood. Does anybody have any recommendations on where to find one?

Apocalypse Design, in Fairbanks. Their Expedition parka or anorak is insanely warm, to the point where you can have just a t-shirt under it at -30 and be fine for a few hours. It's pretty standard gear for Yukon Quest mushers, etc. Weighs a ton and can be uncomfortable in "normal" Fairbanks cold weather. Their parka/anorak one notch lighter is good for more normal interior cold. They'll get ruffs from Alaska Raw Fur (or you can supply one yourself). Love their stuff - it's spendy but if you're out for long periods of time in extremely cold weather, there's nothing better. https://akgear.com/product-category/clothing/parkas/
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

The guy who just walked across Antarctica without a resupply used Bergans of Norway....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Wiggys in Anchorage, check 'em out.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Apocalypse Design
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

https://www.bigrays.com/canada-goose...dition-parka-1

I haven't personally worn this outside the store, but i've seen alot of people wearing these in Antarctica pictures

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Apocalypse Design, in Fairbanks. Their Expedition parka or anorak is insanely warm, to the point where you can have just a t-shirt under it at -30 and be fine for a few hours. It's pretty standard gear for Yukon Quest mushers, etc. Weighs a ton and can be uncomfortable in "normal" Fairbanks cold weather. Their parka/anorak one notch lighter is good for more normal interior cold. They'll get ruffs from Alaska Raw Fur (or you can supply one yourself). Love their stuff - it's spendy but if you're out for long periods of time in extremely cold weather, there's nothing better. https://akgear.com/product-category/clothing/parkas/
    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    The guy who just walked across Antarctica without a resupply used Bergans of Norway....
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Bk
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    Apocalypse Design
    Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    https://www.bigrays.com/canada-goose...dition-parka-1

I haven't personally worn this outside the store, but i've seen alot of people wearing these in Antarctica pictures
    Thanks for the recommendations fellas.

Apocalypse Design - Alpine Parka is plenty warm. I think the Expedition is for the days we used to be super cold. I was plenty warm in my Alpine parka last week at -40. I get Apocalypse to do the custom parka. I add an extra zippered pocket inside the jacket and fleece line the chest pocket. Well worth the price, well made and durable.

For the ruff, I like http://www.boundaryfursewing.com/

Alaska Raw fur makes nice ruffs too.

If you want a down parka, forget Canadian Down, and go straight to Feathered Friends. These are one the best down parkas out there.
    http://featheredfriends.com/down-gar...n/jackets.html

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLow View Post
    Apocalypse Design - Alpine Parka is plenty warm. I think the Expedition is for the days we used to be super cold. I was plenty warm in my Alpine parka last week at -40. I get Apocalypse to do the custom parka. I add an extra zippered pocket inside the jacket and fleece line the chest pocket. Well worth the price, well made and durable.

For the ruff, I like http://www.boundaryfursewing.com/

Alaska Raw fur makes nice ruffs too.

If you want a down parka, forget Canadian Down, and go straight to Feathered Friends. These are one the best down parkas out there.
    http://featheredfriends.com/down-gar...n/jackets.html
    Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the ruff?

I Believe Eagle Enterprises still has there line of Arctic gear available. When I works there years ago it was top notch stuff. Their parkas came with a Coyote or fox ruff I believe. Could be wrong on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TintedSnow View Post
    I sure could be wrong, but I've always believed it was to block at least some of the cold air and snow from swirling around and hitting your face? If you've ever seen, some hoods/ruffs protrude out a ways and your face is actually tucked back in a bit.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TintedSnow View Post
    Same purpose it serves when it's on the animal. To keep your face warm.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I sure could be wrong, but I've always believed it was to block at least some of the cold air and snow from swirling around and hitting your face? If you've ever seen, some hoods/ruffs protrude out a ways and your face is actually tucked back in a bit.
    That's basically it but it also holds the heat from your face a lot better than a hood without a ruff. They make a huge difference in your comfort level. Another function is to ensure that your glasses fog up and that you can't see a (*#*&$^#(@ thing.

A bunch of years ago I bought one of those Cabela's anoraks and I like it a lot for moderately cold weather, except that the ruff is what they call "coyote" and I'm pretty sure is actually one of those Chinese raccoon dogs, and it just doesn't do the job when the temperature drops. A good ruff is worth the money.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    That's basically it but it also holds the heat from your face a lot better than a hood without a ruff. They make a huge difference in your comfort level. Another function is to ensure that your glasses fog up and that you can't see a (*#*&$^#(@ thing.

A bunch of years ago I bought one of those Cabela's anoraks and I like it a lot for moderately cold weather, except that the ruff is what they call "coyote" and I'm pretty sure is actually one of those Chinese raccoon dogs, and it just doesn't do the job when the temperature drops. A good ruff is worth the money.
    A good ruff will add 15F to the comfort of the parka. I also like my Apocalypse Design...I've been wearing a fair bit this week in the -50F cold snap in the Interior. Good stuff.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Bk
    Thanks for the tip. I’ve never heard of them. I will try them out next time I go to the city.