Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sign of things to come??? Not a good start

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    So you're saying that the closure of King Salmon sport fisheries will allow for passage of most Kings to their final destination. Funny, because that's ADFG's strategy in both fisheries;

"Commercial fishing will be closed in the Northern District of Upper Cook Inlet through June 24 to allow passage of king salmon through the district."

I don't want to or think it is productive to split hairs. That's what gets us into the "every fish counts" discussion that causes people to roll fish, fail to report them, and argue over unknowns like C&R mortality, dropouts, rollouts, non-reporting, etc, etc, etc. 130 fish is not a significant number, spread across the entire ND return, just like the number of Kings harmed in other sport fisheries is not a significant number.

Subsistence has priority by law.

It super sucks that King fishing is closed in the ND. It also super sucks that you can't take a single restriction without blaming someone else.

Your interpretation is a big thing that is wrong with our management. I am not focusing on the collateral kings that will be caught in the first couple openers of sockeye season: What I am focusing on is the 1000 fish that can be caught by leaving so much fishing time in the subsistence fishery. Yes, subsistence has priority. But at what time does management and the stockholders come together and say its too much risk? So while you quibble about whether or not 100 fish are important enough to keep nets out throughout June, one fishery is taking 1000 fish. Yet Fish and Game has determined that there is not enough resource to allow any mortality at all in the two largest, most profitable fisheries of these fish, which see the highest participation by Alaska residents and non residents alike.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Your interpretation is a big thing that is wrong with our management. I am not focusing on the collateral kings that will be caught in the first couple openers of sockeye season: What I am focusing on is the 1000 fish that can be caught by leaving so much fishing time in the subsistence fishery. Yes, subsistence has priority. But at what time does management and the stockholders come together and say its too much risk? So while you quibble about whether or not 100 fish are important enough to keep nets out throughout June, one fishery is taking 1000 fish. Yet Fish and Game has determined that there is not enough resource to allow any mortality at all in the two largest, most profitable fisheries of these fish, which see the highest participation by Alaska residents and non residents alike.
    Are they allocated a 1000 fish or did they actually catch a 1000 fish? Just curious as that makes a big difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12