Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIG Kings on a Flyrod?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry BB. I thought I had kept up with all the posts but I guess I missed that one. Congrats, that's good to hear!
    Biggest one I've caught on a fly rod or any rod was 63# in 1996 on the Kenai from a boat. Last was last year about 25# on a parks stream with a 6wt trout fishing. I know I should have cut the line or something, but that bead was lights out that day and I only had 3 in the size and color.

Wow! That's a great recovery! Not just your flyline, but the backing and the fish. Well done. I've seen a lot of lost fly lines over the years and a few recovered. But that's a first for backing. Great reason for bright colored backing. Can you imagine looking for white backing in a glacial river?
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Biggest one I've caught on a fly rod or any rod was 63# in 1996 on the Kenai from a boat. Last was last year about 25# on a parks stream with a 6wt trout fishing. I know I should have cut the line or something, but that bead was lights out that day and I only had 3 in the size and color.
    Bout' time you chimed in! ....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    I fought it for about 20 minutes and it came off about 10 yards from me. No idea how big but the most memorable flyfishing event for me.
    What? You gotta second chance and you still lost it...???!!!….lol. Well at least you got all your gear back. Great story!

I remember fishing for reds with my son on the Kenai. He hooked into a king and it started rippin' line, I quickly told him to grab the line but he didn't really know what I meant and kinda just stood there like a deer in the headlights. I was standing pretty close to his rod tip and could see the backing coming up fast. Told him again...grab the line! Just about then I saw the fly line leave the reel as I reached for the tip of his rod, but I was about a nano second too late as the backing came through. And that was that.....all his NEW fly line heading down the Kenai! My fault really as I guess I never really went over how that backing has no stretch. Luckily there was another spin rod there so he could keep on fishin'......he still was pretty bummed.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

What? You gotta second chance and you still lost it...???!!!….lol. Well at least you got all your gear back. Great story!

I remember fishing for reds with my son on the Kenai. He hooked into a king and it started rippin' line, I quickly told him to grab the line but he didn't really know what I meant and kinda just stood there like a deer in the headlights. I was standing pretty close to his rod tip and could see the backing coming up fast. Told him again...grab the line! Just about then I saw the fly line leave the reel as I reached for the tip of his rod, but I was about a nano second too late as the backing came through. And that was that.....all his NEW fly line heading down the Kenai! My fault really as I guess I never really went over how that backing has no stretch. Luckily there was another spin rod there so he could keep on fishin'......he still was pretty bummed.
    I had that same thing happen to me about 4 years ago below the moose. To this day I have no idea what I hooked but whatever it was it made short work of me and my 3m sharkskin line. Since I was trout fishing I just tell people it was the biggest bow I've ever hooked. But if I was being honest I would have to say it was a king. I have never been spooled like that by anything other then a king. Not to mention as soon as I hooked it it went to the middle of the river and down stream, more typical king behavior in my book.

Bout' time you chimed in! ....lol
    Well I figured there would be plenty saying the same thing I would have said, so I didn't see a reason to beat a dead horse. As typical rule of thumb I pull line from the tip of the rod after drag is set to see how tight it actually is. And then I adjust from there but I typically run a loose drag from a boat and when bank fishing a little bit more drag, to the point if a fish runs I won't get spooled and the line will stay taught and just a touch of pressure to make the fish work. In terms of lbs....... have no idea but i would be shocked if it was ever over 5 lbs on any reel I use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12