Thread: Training pointing lab, books, dvds

Default Training pointing lab, books, dvds

Hello,
    I'm am interested in training my lab puppy to point for grouse hunting up here. I don't waterfowl hunt. I would like to teach using an e-collar and whistles.
    Could anyone recommend a good training manual or videos that will cover from puppy fwd??

Thanks!

He's got a series of dog training books, but this one would probably be good for you. I suggest you look them all over though first to see what applies best for what you want. https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Dog-Revol...s+dog+training

Another one called "Game Dog" might be what you want as well....

Edit.... It's been many years since I trained my chessie using "Water Dog" and I know he used the whistle, but not the e-collar. I don't know if he ever incorporated them into his training or not, so you might check on that first. Personally I don't believe an e-collar is absolutely necessary as the proof was in the puddin' in my case. Personal choice of course as some dogs do well with them.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

How old is your pup? Does it come from "pointing" lab stock, or have you noticed a pointing instinct in it?

http://www.ahdc.org/ahdcsite/storeitems.php

This book will help you teach the dog. Once your dog knows what to do you can overlay the e-collar. The book breaks each hunting dog task down into several steps and clearly describes expectations for both flushers and pointers. I give a copy to everyone I sell a pup to. It really helps out when they have training questions. Have fun!

Teach the dog, OBEDIANCE FIRST, WOAH means stop, come means come. If you can stop your dog, watch your dog and he will tell you when there are birds around. Stop and you work up and then let the dog work up. Easy is a good word to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    Teach the dog, OBEDIANCE FIRST, WOAH means stop, come means come...
    "Stop" means any word you decide to use. "Come" means any word you decide to use, etc... Some guys use entirely different languages to train their dog. Recently a duck hunting friend let me take his dog for a walk while duck hunting. When I told her to come she looked at me like I was an alien. Turned out my buddy used the word "here" instead of "come".

But I do agree with you....obedience is first and foremost, and can not be neglected.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!