Thread: Alaska Air National Guard lifts 3 from plane stranded

Default Alaska Air National Guard lifts 3 from plane stranded

Air National Guard lifts 3 from plane stranded on 20 Mile

Three people were rescued after their airplane sank in snow and ice at 20 Mile Glacier southeast of Anchorage.

The Alaska Air National Guard says airmen from the 210th and 212th Rescue Squadrons lifted a pilot and two passengers Thursday. Their names were not released.

Alaska Air National Guard Capt. Daniel Dickman of the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center says the pilot of the Piper PA-18 aircraft manually activated the aircraft's 406 emergency locator transmitter.

A passenger also used a cellphone to text a relative, who called the Rescue Coordination Center.

Dickman says the three carried a satellite phone and were well prepared for an emergency.

An HH-60G Pave Hawk launched from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson located the airplane. The helicopter hoisted the pilot and passengers while hovering at 170 feet.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I know the seats can be there, but I'm thinking there had to be at least one pretty small individual if there were two passengers and a pilot (3 people) in an -18?

Glad to see the preparedness and that it's worked out OK so far.
    Back in AK

I sea that too. I have seen 3rd seat STCs for PA-18s. So who knows. one of them might have been a small kid. Of course I have also seen a full size teenage girl crawl out of the back-end of a Cessna 150...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Pilot and two girls. I have had two six foot guys in the back of my cub. Young guy went in first they will recover given time .
    DENNY

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    Pilot and two girls. I have had two six foot guys in the back of my cub. Young guy went in first they will recover given time .
    DENNY
    I've made an emergency extraction of two 200-lb passengers, One boned caribou, with the horns tied to the floats. A sketchy load, but had to be made before winter, and ski operations, moved in.