Thread: Fish Farts

Default Fish Farts

My friend Akhardwater sent me this video from Lake Louise over the weekend. The title is self-exclamatory. I'll let him explain the details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyj9...ature=youtu.be

Could it be methane?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Could it be methane?
    That's what I thought too, but Akhardwater seems to think that it wasn't. Apparently they tried to light it and it wasn't flammable and it had no odor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Apparently they tried to light it and it wasn't flammable and it had no odor.
    Must be a female fish fart!
    ďI would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.Ē Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Donít know about there but Interior had a lot of rain the in the fall. Rivers were high into freeze up. Did the lake drop after freezeup and hence air pockets.? My guess

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Putzpilot View Post
    Donít know about there but Interior had a lot of rain the in the fall. Rivers were high into freeze up. Did the lake drop after freezeup and hence air pockets.? My guess
    Maybe. That could be a possibility. I've seen that happen on rivers but never lake before. It would seem like the ice would just sink though. Maybe AKhardwater will come on here and give an explanation.

So from what we could tell my buddy drilled into a giant air pocket on the bottom of the ice. I first thought it was air trapped in the ice but if you watch when I put the scoop in the hole the bubbles stop. I tried to light it and there was no smell so we ruled out methane as the cause. We were in 26ft of water with a rocky bottom and 12 inches of ice, we donít normally find methane over super rocky bottom so thatís the other reason I donít think it was methane. After a little while the bubbles slowed down but if you walked around the hole it would burp a little more rapidly. We sat there for about an hour and a half and it burped pretty much the whole time. I believe the earthquake had something to do with this phenomenon as Iíve never seen anything to this extent, either way it was pretty darn cool. Now that I think of it female fish farts would make sense considering all the 20lbers Iíve caught out of that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Hey I find that an offensive and a sexist remark. Don't you know that females don't burp and fart? That's why they have to nag, otherwise they would explode.

Just so you guys know, methane itself is an odorless gas, just usually comes with other sulfur gasses giving it the smell, and in some places (especially where theres a lot of gas coming up) the percentage of methane can be so low that it won't light with an open flame. That being said, yeah, i don't think this looks like methane either. Air pocket is my best guess.

sometimes if theres a weird pocket under the ice, even the augering can push a lot of air up under there that can bubble out like this. i run into that a lot when using chainsaw to get through the ice; that really puts a lot of air under water