Thread: Grouse Populations

Default Grouse Populations

Here in Delta, the grouse populations [especially sharptails] appears to be dismal.....it has been on a downward trend but this really appears to be a bad year......hopefully more will appear as season approaches.

That bites...I was gonna take the dogs down thewre this year and see how they do on grouse and hopefully try my hand at Cranes or Geese.
    Since you mentioned it I havent seen a Grouse around her at all this year,but then again I havent been out and looking either.Daniel

Default slump

I've read we'll be in the low cycle the next few years but hey it's still better than the lower 48!! I've been running into clutches of ruffies here in Fairbanks with usually 7-8 chicks while training my dog. The cranberries are loaded this year as are the rosehips and other berries so if you concentrate on prime areas you will find birds, may not be a great year but hey it's better than being at work and there's nothing like a stroll through the fall woods with your dog!!

TC,If ya need some company holler at me,Id like to see how you train your dog.Daniel

While I'm sure we're better than anything in the lower 48, I live out in Two Rivers and I haven't seen anywhere near the grouse numbers I did last year. Are they hiding up in the hills until later in the season, or are we that much in a slump? This is only my second year here so I'll admit I know squat.

I've seen a few spruce hen families while riding my 4 wheeler in the Fairbanks area but not too many.

grouse and spruce hens go in roughly 3-5 year cycles where they simply drop off the map and then sprout up like wild fire