Thread: Makarov experts?

Default Makarov experts?

I just recently stumbled into ďI thinkĒ a good deal. The blueing was all but gone and had remnants of a botched paint job that someone botched even more removing. The rifling and bore look great, and it seems to function perfectly though I havenít actually fired it yet. In my infinite wisdom I decided to field strip it and drop it into my sonic cleaner and well clean it. On the plus side, the paint came off, along with the years of grime, but so did the rest of the bluing...mostly. Interestingly enough, it now has a copper/brown color... yes, I know, very stylish.
    Anyhow, what I know is itís a Makarov, Belgian, Arsenal, stamped Miltex INC. and says La Plata Maryland USA Special Edition. No proof marks that I can see and has an Arsenal grip rather than the star grip. Can anyone assist with more info. Iíve searched around google a bit but not really came up with much info.
    i think Iíll tear it down to itís individual components and try to cold blue it, Iíve never done it before so itíll be fun to try it out. That doesnít work Iíll go to plan B. I gave less than 2 bills for it, so if nothing else itíll make a good hammer. 😂🤣😂
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool pistol. 9mm x 18 right?
    Could those be aftermarket grips?
    Nice project.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thanks, I wrote Belgian but meant Bulgarian. Yes I think the grips are aftermarket from the importer which I assume to be Arsenal. They are rubberized rather than the original Bakelite, maybe thatís what makes it a Special Edition. Yes it is 9x18 mm.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I just acquired a Makarof, myself, but in 380 ACP. It's a dandy. Lots of good reports on them. Interesting history too. There seems to be an endless variety of them. From all over the world. Yeah, I say blue it. Those Makarofs are worth messing with, IMO.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Congrats Smitty, Iíd like a .380 as well. No other reason but to have one I guess. I think they are dandy lil guns, accurate as all heck as Iíve been reading. I tried several times to blue it and just couldnít come up with a finish I was satisfied with. Sooo, it took a little trip out to the land of plenty to Alaska Hydrographics. They did an outstanding job. Done in simple black Cerekote. Now I just need to get out and burn some powder. 😁👍
    BTW, if anyone has a brown bakelite grip for these, Iíd really like to have it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Congrats Smitty, Iíd like a .380 as well. No other reason but to have one I guess. I think they are dandy lil guns, accurate as all heck as Iíve been reading. I tried several times to blue it and just couldnít come up with a finish I was satisfied with. Sooo, it took a little trip out to the land of plenty to Alaska Hydrographics. They did an outstanding job. Done in simple black Cerekote. Now I just need to get out and burn some powder. 😁👍
    BTW, if anyone has a brown bakelite grip for these, Iíd really like to have it.
    They did a good job, for sure.

I figgered it would be easier to find 380 ammo. And I like the Adjustable sights.

I'll keep an eye out for those grips.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.