Thread: Smoked Shrimp

Default Smoked Shrimp

Iv'e tried so many different ways to smoke shrimp and have never been all that pleased with the results until now. Aggravating....since this is so simple. Peel shrimp. Always easier to peel if they have been frozen rather than fresh caught. I use the scissors in the pic to split them down the back then they fairly jump out of their shell. Next...clean 'em up a little and brine them. Just barely cover them with the brine. Let that set for 3-4 hours then rinse well. If at that point they are too salty for your taste just soak them for awhile to freshen them a bit. Put them on a smoker rack and in the fridge for a few more hours to develop a pellicle. Grab a pot and your favorite cooking oil and heat it (oil) to 350-375 degrees. Put a dozen (totally dependent on the size of your pot) in at a time. Cook for 1 minute then remove and put them on some sort of cooling rack. They will finish cooking through on said rack. Then into the smoker. Today was perfect as it cool out and they took on a flavorful cold smoke. You can actually taste both the shrimps flavor and the subtle smoke. That 1 minute cook gets rid of any chalky taste and rubbery texture you get with brined only shrimp. Worth a shot if you like smoked stuff.PICT0001 (16).jpgPICT0001 (14).jpg

Sure looks good!

How long did you smoke them and with what kind of wood? I've never tried smoking shrimp, putting them in the fridge to form a pellicle before frying them makes some sense, I suppose, how long did you let them rest/cool before smoking?
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

That looks tasty, will try this.
    Thx.
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Sure looks good!

How long did you smoke them and with what kind of wood? I've never tried smoking shrimp, putting them in the fridge to form a pellicle before frying them makes some sense, I suppose, how long did you let them rest/cool before smoking?
    I'm using the basic Big Chief smoker and for this batch I used a 1 pan of hickory and 1 pan of alder. Probably 3 hrs smoking time. KenaiFly mentioned pecan wood in a lox thread over in the hunting section/meat care, processing sub forum and I want to try that next. After the 1 minute cook, they're pretty well cooled down within 15 minutes then in the smoker. The biggest ones were just barely cooked all the way through and the smaller ones weren't over cooked. Due to current temps, the top rack only got up to 50 degrees so they didn't cook any more in the smoker...just took on the nice cold smoke flavor. I'm going to make a necklace out of some of them so maybe now the neighbors dog will play with me...