Thread: Suzuki DF350 Duo on an Osprey

Default Suzuki DF350 Duo on an Osprey

Has anybody seen the DF350 on an Osprey yet (preferably an Osprey 24)

thanks

Personally I’d just put 300 on. That motor will push her at 28kts and 37kts wide open at 14gallons an hour. I know first hand cause I have merc 300 on mine. Right now merc has an offer for 5 year warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I think he means a 350 dual prop. I never knew they made a duo prop outboard. I think it would easily push a 24 foot Osprey.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

I had a 24' seasport with 300 yami and it was a great combination! I would consider a 4 blade prop for extra low-end grip.

Master Marine currently has a 26' Osprey with the 350 Suzuki... you should go take it for a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I think he means a 350 dual prop. I never knew they made a duo prop outboard. I think it would easily push a 24 foot Osprey.
    You assume I can’t read! I started what I would put on boat from experience not a thought process.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

You look at weight balance there a reason why a 24ft boat will not ride right with 747 pound motor on tail. Also add in weight for rigging and kicker. That would be right at 900 on the tail. There are a lot re-powered osprey’s out with single 300. Why because that set up works.

no way i would put that motor on a 24. kinda like squirell hunting with a 375h&h
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    no way i would put that motor on a 24. kinda like squirell hunting with a 375h&h
    Agree. I had a 26 Osprey with a 270 hp VP duoprop and it would cruise at 27 kts easily. That engine on a 24 would be too much, weight, hp, $$ wasted etc.

My boat is a 24' Hewes with older model twin f-115's which total about 840, not too much weight on it, boat sits level and rides great. Not apples to apples being an aluminum boat but I'm betting a 24' Hewes (especially minus the waterlogged foam they're famous for) is a bit lighter and more weight sensitive? Just curious what the max hp rating is for that model Osprey?
    Seems the reason no one's done it is it's a relatively new motor; Also no one ever complained about too much power
    Probably a close comparison would be the 24 Seasprt with twin Honda 150's in the harbor; those motors are 480lbs each and boat sits perfect.
    Ak Mike you got a sweet ride there!!! That 5 year warranty pretty attractive
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You look at weight balance there a reason why a 24ft boat will not ride right with 747 pound motor on tail. Also add in weight for rigging and kicker. That would be right at 900 on the tail. There are a lot re-powered osprey’s out with single 300. Why because that set up works.

There are a lot of 300 on repowered Osprey 24 because that was what was more commonly available at the time. Since the new DF350 duoprop has come out would be interested to know if anyone has put one on a 24.

The reason am interested in the DF350 is for the torque and stern lift it has to get the boat up fast when fully loaded. have bee told that the 300's can struggle a bit when there are 4 guys plus gear, to get the boat on plane.

any feedback mush appreciated guys. is a big investment/decision to make

Nice looking rig there akmike. was that a repower from an IO or was already factory outboard ?

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You assume I can’t read! I started what I would put on boat from experience not a thought process.
    I was referring to busangi, he was the one that posted DF350 Duo.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

There is a guy in Kodiak that I believe has that set up. He installed it last spring. He seems to like the power. I know that he had to have the powerhead replaced under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by windvane View Post
    There is a guy in Kodiak that I believe has that set up. He installed it last spring. He seems to like the power. I know that he had to have the powerhead replaced under warranty.
    Thanks for the heads up, Any idea how to get in touch with him?

Quote Originally Posted by busanga View Post
    There are a lot of 300 on repowered Osprey 24 because that was what was more commonly available at the time. Since the new DF350 duoprop has come out would be interested to know if anyone has put one on a 24.

The reason am interested in the DF350 is for the torque and stern lift it has to get the boat up fast when fully loaded. have bee told that the 300's can struggle a bit when there are 4 guys plus gear, to get the boat on plane.

any feedback mush appreciated guys. is a big investment/decision to make

Nice looking rig there akmike. was that a repower from an IO or was already factory outboard ?
    My 24 SeaSport has the 300 on it. I would have loved to put a 350 on it instead. That being said the 300 can get me on step with a full crew and fuel. I have never felt like it needed more power. Fuel economy does suffer when it’s that loaded. I guess it does lag a little jumping on step when I’m just leaving the harbor with full load. But after we burn a little fuel it does much better. On big trips I will regularly carry full tanks, 120gl, as well as 18-24gl reserve. I have never tried to balance the boat more effectively by moving weight forward. I’m sure if I did she would get on step better.

What about going with twins? The boat can obviously handle the weight (see my previous comment on a 24' Sea Sport) here with twin Honda 150's at 960 lbs total. Motors work half as hard, lower cruising rpms, quicker hole shot and it's just obvious twins have a much easier life. Folks seem to think that the less weight at the transom the better but really you have to look at the boat's design. I looked very hard at a single 300 Suzuki as a comparison to the twin 115's (my 4th pair on this boat) that I now have and am glad I stuck with twins. Also a very real issue is lower unit longevity if you're struggling to get out of the hole with a load with just a single motor.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    What about going with twins? The boat can obviously handle the weight (see my previous comment on a 24' Sea Sport) here with twin Honda 150's at 960 lbs total. Motors work half as hard, lower cruising rpms, quicker hole shot and it's just obvious twins have a much easier life. Folks seem to think that the less weight at the transom the better but really you have to look at the boat's design. I looked very hard at a single 300 Suzuki as a comparison to the twin 115's (my 4th pair on this boat) that I now have and am glad I stuck with twins. Also a very real issue is lower unit longevity if you're struggling to get out of the hole with a load with just a single motor.
    all good points, but Twins will be expensive and double maintenance etc. (good for back up safety offshore tho) re gearbox longevity..is why am looking at the 350 Duoprop. that should literally jump this boat onto plane in an instant...at east that is what i am hoping and is why i am asking if anyone has done it. Also i could keep boat on plane at lower rpm and in big seas have the mid punch needed to 'cruise' it

not interested in top speed (these are not fast boats) , rather looking at easy cruising rpms for longevity and fuel efficiency.

but until i hear (or do) real world , i dot know if all this will hold true