Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road accessible Cook Inlet clamming closed for another year including 2020

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The waste was horrible and so wanton, but nothing was ever done to prevent it. I got sick of watching people throw small or broken clams onto the sand to go dig another hopefully larger and unbroken clam. Never saw any enforcement out there walking around among the diggers and writing tickets. They could have wrote a ton of them on every dig. Certain ethnic groups were far worse than others for this. I'm o.k. with profiling in these situations by keeping a wary eye on them. The seagulls were having a feast. I used to dig on the Rez where I grew up. Was a real eye opener to notice.....No Seagulls. Why? Because there were no clams being tossed out for them. Look across the river to where everyone else was digging. Mayhem. Dogs running around, causing clams to go deeper. People wandering around like they are lost doing the same thing, driving the clams deeper. Seagulls all over the place. Noise. The NDN diggers went out towards the ocean as the waves receded 90 degrees to the beach. As that 7th larger wave came in, they walked back up in the same area where they had dug on the way out. As the waves receded again, they would move a little off to the side, and dig their way back out again. It was like it was orchestrated. A real site to see. Across the river? A zoo.
    I was stopped one time, as were other vehicles leaving clam gulch. I was warned but not cited because I was one clam over the 60 limit. Other people, I'm guessing, fared worse. I saw some folks make quick trips back down to the incoming tide when they saw the Trooper vehicle.
    When I lived in Homer, we were on the roadkill list and we were surprised to get a call from the F&G to come pick up some clams that people had over-harvested. Got some halibut that way too!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I remember when that poor lady drowned out there in Ninilchik when she went out to the "island" and didn't leave soon enough as the tide came in. If I recall I was out there the day before and couldn't believe with all the crowd that was out there that nobody saw her and was able to help. It was so long ago though that I don't remember the whole story behind it. Very sad though indeed.

The closure was talked about on the radio yesterday. They even had somebody from F&G on there saying, "Any harvest of clams would hurt their recovery..." Brilliant deduction! Wish they would have been so passionate about the Kenai kings years ago.
    A friend of mine found her. Called it an and tied what was left of her off on the boat while waiting on the troopers, or whoever, showed up to retrieve her.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Did a trip once with five adults and three kids. Why was I, one-of-two people, that knew how to clean them.
    Teach them. Fast. I started cleaning clams about the same time I started digging them. Grade school.

I remember when that poor lady drowned out there in Ninilchik when she went out to the "island" and didn't leave soon enough as the tide came in. If I recall I was out there the day before and couldn't believe with all the crowd that was out there that nobody saw her and was able to help. It was so long ago though that I don't remember the whole story behind it. Very sad though indeed.

The closure was talked about on the radio yesterday. They even had somebody from F&G on there saying, "Any harvest of clams would hurt their recovery..." Brilliant deduction! Wish they would have been so passionate about the Kenai kings years ago.
    My dad and I got stuck on the island back in 1985. He swam to shore with me on his back. He saved my life. We both were hypothermic when we hit the beach. I've never made that mistake again 👍
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

That's scary! I remember barely making it back once with the water at the top of my hip boots. Love those big clams out there though. After a few years dealing with all those people we started driving quite a ways south down the beach and still got into some nice big clams. In the article above they mention 10" clams. Man that is a huge clam! I remember digging some real big clams but I don't think I ever broke the 10" mark.

Sayak…..As far as Clam Gulch goes. Even living in Kasilof for many years I grew tired of digging mostly small clams there and only did it a handful of times. About the best time I was there was when we cleaned up on the mussels. Boy were they good!!! Would like to do that again someday.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That's scary! I remember barely making it back once with the water at the top of my hip boots. Love those big clams out there though. After a few years dealing with all those people we started driving quite a ways south down the beach and still got into some nice big clams. In the article above they mention 10" clams. Man that is a huge clam! I remember digging some real big clams but I don't think I ever broke the 10" mark.

Sayak…..As far as Clam Gulch goes. Even living in Kasilof for many years I grew tired of digging mostly small clams there and only did it a handful of times. About the best time I was there was when we cleaned up on the mussels. Boy were they good!!! Would like to do that again someday.
    I, too, love mussels! But I have heard they are the last to rid themselves of PSP, so I'm more warry than I used to be.
    When I taught in Homer I took some students down for a picnic on Bishops Beach. I was really surprised when one of my students came up with a handful of really large razors! I hadn't known they were there! That was back in the late 90s. We used to have our "secret spots" around Ninilchik, but then they became well-known.
    I too became disenchanted with the little clams we were getting at the end of legal clamming. Just like a lot of other things on the peninsula, such as kings and lake trout, everything gets hit too hard and then the populations can't keep up... and then they restrict it or close it down. Sometimes too little, too late. Maybe there will have to be a draw for razors too :-(

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ….Just like a lot of other things on the peninsula, such as kings and lake trout, everything gets hit too hard and then the populations can't keep up... and then they restrict it or close it down. Sometimes too little, too late.....
    You said a mouthful there my friend and I totally agree. And don't forget the other way around.....our lack of moose and too many bears, despite all the people telling F&G there were too many bears. But when those few, and that one monster came into downtown Soldotna in broad daylight looking for something to eat...…….well that got their attention, didn't it? next thing ya know we had a general harvest for brown bear that's still going on. As you say, sometimes too little too late. Good thing we've had those few fires in B and C or our moose pop would probably still be in the toilet. Hopefully now with the big fire in A will see more moose there too in a few years. As long as we keep killing bears too....

But I digress. Sorry about the hijack....

Supporting Member

Was digging out on the bar at Deep Creek with my wife, and my brother and his wife. I started heading back up the beach but Paul wanted to dig a few more. There was a couple that had a canoe and they were going to come in with them. Well that canoe was riding low in the water with 4 people and buckets of clams. I was hoping that my brother and his wife would have enough sense to dump their buckets and turn them upside down to trap air for flotation. Luckily they made it. Brother agreed it had been a dumb idea.

I also remember some folks with an Argo out on "the bar." I guess they all figured they'd be able to dig right up to when the water covered the bar, so that's what they did. As they all piled into that machine, (I can't remember how many there were but it was overflowing for sure) and headed for shore I doubt they had 2" of free board on that thing as they floated in, in fact I do believe a couple of them got a little wet. They made it, but not by much.

I never was fond of eating clams.
    Tried them every different way and never found a way I liked them.
    But they were fun to harvest and gift to elders or relatives.
    I never did mind cleaning them though. Pretty easy to do just takes a little time.
    I always did the hot water dunk to get the shells opened. Worked like a charm and in my giant stainless pot with a basket in it I could do pretty large batches rather quickly.
    I sure hope they recover.
    Maybe a personal use (residents only) kinda thing would help if it ever reopens on the road system.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I never was fond of eating clams.
    Tried them every different way and never found a way I liked them.
    But they were fun to harvest and gift to elders or relatives.
    I never did mind cleaning them though. Pretty easy to do just takes a little time.
    I always did the hot water dunk to get the shells opened. Worked like a charm and in my giant stainless pot with a basket in it I could do pretty large batches rather quickly.
    I sure hope they recover.
    Maybe a personal use (residents only) kinda thing would help if it ever reopens on the road system.

I would be very happy with a 'personal use for residents' dig. It will never happen though unless it's done for certain groups from Ninilchik. Where I grew up in the PNW the NDN's now get to dig commercially all over the coast while everyone else is limited on where to dig and have a 15 clam limit. Thankfully the commercial digs are not every day.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I would be very happy with a 'personal use for residents' dig. It will never happen though unless it's done for certain groups from Ninilchik. Where I grew up in the PNW the NDN's now get to dig commercially all over the coast while everyone else is limited on where to dig and have a 15 clam limit. Thankfully the commercial digs are not every day.
    We have a "Personal Use" dipnet fishery for salmon and hooligans.
    Why wouldn't it work for clams?
    Either your a resident and qualify or your not!
    I'm not talking "Subsistence" that's a whole different animal.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12