Thread: Importing an aircraft from Canada?

Question Importing an aircraft from Canada?

I'm shopping for a airplane and keep seeing nice-looking ones for sale over in Canada.

Are there any pitfalls to buying an aircraft "over there" and bringing it back into the USA?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

canadian's can have their own STC's which may not be recognized by the FAA so there could be mods done to the plane which the faa wouldn't recognize and could affect the airworthiness. while being considered safe in canada it wouldn't be considered safe once it crossed the border...go figure.

I imported a Kenworth from Oh Canada many years ago. Lots of paper work. Things that I remember were that I had to prove the front bumper met DOT spec, and that the emission controls met EPA standards. There was lots of other stuff. Pages of stuff. Also import taxes. I used an 'Importer' to help the process. Still had a long hold up at the border. I know, it's not a plane, but just giving an idea of what might lie ahead. At the auction they made the import process sound real straight forward. Haha. Under statement.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    canadian's can have their own STC's which may not be recognized by the FAA so there could be mods done to the plane which the faa wouldn't recognize and could affect the airworthiness. while being considered safe in canada it wouldn't be considered safe once it crossed the border...go figure.
    Actually, we have a bilateral airworthiness agreement with Canada and several other countries, which makes the process easier from those countries.
    The aircraft being imported has to have a conformity inspection, meaning it has to conform to its type design/certificate, all modifications must have been approved (think STC). There’s information available on the FAA’s website, just type in Import Aircraft in the search engine.

Importing an aircraft can turn into a huge money pit depending on who is involved. The conformity inspection is the key!!! So if you have an older aircraft with a lot of mods even if they are done correctly with a US STC the inspector coming out may be clueless. With the right IA/inspector/Aircraft it can be done pretty easy. So the big question is do you have a IA that you have worked with and trust? Does the IA like the plane? Does the IA know of a good inspector to work with? If the aircraft has ever been the Canadian owner maintenance program I believe that would be a huge red flag as far as import back to U.S.
    DENNY

Quote Originally Posted by akskycowboy View Post
    Actually, we have a bilateral airworthiness agreement with Canada and several other countries, which makes the process easier from those countries.
    The aircraft being imported has to have a conformity inspection, meaning it has to conform to its type design/certificate, all modifications must have been approved (think STC). There’s information available on the FAA’s website, just type in Import Aircraft in the search engine.
    as recently as this last spring i was told by a fsdo that there is NO bilateral agreement. this was in regards to an stc approved by the canadians that isn't approved here. is what you're referring to speaking to the aircraft as a whole? as opposed to what i am referring to which is a specific mod?