Thread: Deshka Landing area

Default Deshka Landing area

Anyone ventured out of Deshka Landing? I've seen their weather cam shots and homepage / FB update about open water, but am curious about the 'professional level riders' making it to the Yentna. I only need to make it to the Deshka, from there I jump back up into the swamps, ultimately heading towards Witsoe / Ladyslipper lake area

No one is going out of the landing at this time, Everyone is using the Rolly Creek trail that will drop you out below the Deshka. You should be able to make it from there.

A couple of us are headed up the Deshka Sat., using the Rolly creek trail.
    Lots of overflow on Deshka and swamps are impassable to go cross country, according to neighbor who tried on Saturday.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thanks guys. Having always just dropped down onto the river, I've only spent time on Corral Hill or Rolly on the way back in. Is Deshka landing still a ok place to park to access RC trail or is there a better spot to start from?

BK, your comment about swamps being impassable, I'm curious just how bad they were and how much you think the last few days of extra snow and cooler temps have helped. Basically, were things almost rideable or in need of a lot more snow and cold. All the snow here in Anchorage has me optimistic we should be able to get out.

I will know more after this weekend, till then we're both guessing!
    Bk
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I have been out thru the willow swamps and down the su and up the Yentna for 3 weeks now. The trail is not marked and if you are not sure how to get thru the swamps down to rolly creek then try and find someone to help as I ran into some people last weekend on my way back lost out there and trying to find the right trail down to the river. As for the river itself as long as you stay on the trail that is there you should be fine. There has been some Iron Dog guys that were traveling up the middle of the river and they got into some deep overflow and open leads. There is also a lot of shelf ice to contend with so be on the watch out. The river came way up then dropped out after freezing and lots of big holes in some sections of the river. If you know what you are doing you should have no problems just take it slow and keep an eye out. I am headed up tomorrow and I anticipate there to be a fair amount more overflow with the recent amounts of snow that came down. As for the swamp riding ( my place is up past yentna station and I put on a lot of miles out in the swamps and had no problem. There was a fair amount of overflow under the snow even out in the swamps from the rain that we had after freeze up and I think the earth quake broke up the ground enough that water made its way up to the surface and now the snow is insulating it from freezing. If you are traveling up the yentna getting past yentna station 5 or 6 miles isn't bad but after that is not advised. I haven't been further than that but ran into Iron Dog guys that have and sounds very iffy. Good luck out there and hope this snow stays around for us all to enjoy as it is shaping up to be good riding with a few more snow falls and some cold temps.

Ran up Deshka, via Rolly creek trail. Excellent riding, lots of snow, guys hauling freight.
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Any update for this? Anyone able to haul freight to Shell Lake or beyond?

Just ran from landing down rolly creek trail again. Its gotten bumpy from all the traffic but marked well.
    3-4” of fresh snow last night.
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Has anybody been on the Tripod trail or know what traveling is like on there?
    JOHN

Ive seen the Deshka Landing conditions post from a few days ago on their site, but looking for some feedback on what things look like. Wanting to try one more run into the cabin and only need to make it to the Deshka/Su confluence before picking up the trail over swamps/woods. Is the river passable from the landing to this point? Rolly Creek or Corral Hill options help any? Thanks guys

As of two days ago on the Friends of the Yentna Facebook page, things were OK until ~3 miles downriver of Yentna Station. Things were getting awfully sloppy upriver of that. Of course, I imagine conditions have continued to deteriorate.

Brian never knew about this FB page I just joined since my cabin is just above lake creek thank you
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association