Thread: Older Martin Cougar Magnum Bow Question....

Default Older Martin Cougar Magnum Bow Question....

I have the above bow, I picked up a couple years ago, I thought I would replace the cable so I started to remove it and it does not come out of the wheels, so I took it to a shop in Anchorage and they said they couldn't get a new cable and the old one looked ok, so they put it back together and told me it is a 40 lb max bow, he said it must be a youth bow?? When I bought it my wife, who shoots a 30 lb bow for practice, couldn't draw it back and I struggled a little to pull it back, now it is like a toy! The bow company said it was set at 38 lbs and also said it wasn't for hunting, but maybe small game.....none of this adds up. When I bought it they said it was a 75 or 80 lb bow....can someone help me figure this out? also it looks odd with the wheels way up like they are, but I can't say I really remember. the number on the bow is CLW 34874-9 it looks like.

I still have mine I bought new in 1981. Should have a tag on the lower limb that gives you itís vitals, but if not you may want to contact Martin. I do not believe they made youth bows. If I recall let off was 50% and the range on mine was 45-60#.

I fixed it, watched a youtube video and was able to take it a part and put it on max, then tightened up the bolts and backed them off 3/4 turn and it is back to like when I first bought it. don't have anyway to measure it, but it is a lot better than it was, and I'm pretty sure this isn't a youth bow.
    Thanks for responding.

Sad when the shop doesn't take the time to do things right but they have plenty of time to tell you how wrong you are

That's about a 35 year old bow. You might as well learn to work on it yourself. Many shop owners these days haven't worked on a cabled bow in over two decades. Doesn't make the bow bad, but you're going to have to become your own expert. I'm surprised the shop even took it in, the cost to repair the cables and strings on those bows exceed the value of the bow.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by shawlerbrook View Post
    I still have mine I bought new in 1981. Should have a tag on the lower limb that gives you itís vitals, but if not you may want to contact Martin. I do not believe they made youth bows. If I recall let off was 50% and the range on mine was 45-60#.
    Sadly, the Martin factory burned several years ago and a lot of the records went with it. Then Martin was sold. The new Martin company knows very little about the old Martin company.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem