Thread: Kasilof riding?

Default Kasilof riding?

Hi,
    I'm new to the Kasilof area and I bought a new machine. But now I need a place to ride. Any suggestions for a new rider? I've heard about the caribou hills but where exactly do I go to access the area? Is that area part of the refuge and is the refuge open to riding? Now that we got some snow and more is on the way I'm excited to get out and take a spin. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 350mag View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to the Kasilof area and I bought a new machine. But now I need a place to ride. Any suggestions for a new rider? I've heard about the caribou hills but where exactly do I go to access the area? Is that area part of the refuge and is the refuge open to riding? Now that we got some snow and more is on the way I'm excited to get out and take a spin. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks
    Not sure about that area, but to be on the safe side please please ride with a group. Ck with a snowmachine dealer they may have information that will help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by 350mag View Post
    Hi,
    There are a few different ways to access "the hills", but probably the most popular is to take Oilwell Rd. out of Ninilchik. to the end. Some of the area is in the refuge and some is not. You can ride in the refuge only when the refuge says you can, which is after they decide there is enough snow on the ground as to not cause any damage to the land. Call them or listen to the radio for the public announcement.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    There are a few different ways to access "the hills", but probably the most popular is to take Oilwell Rd. out of Ninilchik. to the end. Some of the area is in the refuge and some is not. You can ride in the refuge only when the refuge says you can, which is after they decide there is enough snow on the ground as to not cause any damage to the land. Call them or listen to the radio for the public announcement.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/grants/groompl.htm

Perfect! This should be what I need. Thanks to all for your responses.

Check out the Caribou hills cabin hoppers website.
    www.akchch.org for updated trail and grooming info.
    They groom those trails along with the Homer Snomads.
    You can get to the hills from Centennial trail off of Tustumena lake road if you want.
    Also from Clam gulch parking lot or as was said Oilwell in Ninilchik
    Maps are available at the various sled dealers and Napa used to carry them as well.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks! I took a ride today starting at centennial Lake. Nice riding, a few frozen overflow spots, but no problems. I put on 43 miles. A good time was had by all, well by me anyway.

I read a couple days ago that they just opened up the refuge too....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Check out the Caribou hills cabin hoppers website.
    www.akchch.org for updated trail and grooming info.
    They groom those trails along with the Homer Snomads.
    You can get to the hills from Centennial trail off of Tustumena lake road if you want.
    Also from Clam gulch parking lot or as was said Oilwell in Ninilchik
    Maps are available at the various sled dealers and Napa used to carry them as well.

Where is the parking location on Tustemena Lake Rd? I took a drive today and can see the trail but nowhere to park other than a pull out on the road just before the trail which was **** near full with two small trucks already there and it doesn't leave much room when you have a F-350 crew cab long bed truck and a 24 foot trailer. Is there better parking at Clam Gulch and if so, where is parking for that? Having a rig and trailer as big as mine parking is a serious challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Where is the parking location on Tustemena Lake Rd? I took a drive today and can see the trail but nowhere to park other than a pull out on the road just before the trail which was **** near full with two small trucks already there and it doesn't leave much room when you have a F-350 crew cab long bed truck and a 24 foot trailer. Is there better parking at Clam Gulch and if so, where is parking for that? Having a rig and trailer as big as mine parking is a serious challenge!
    Park at Centennial Lake and cross the road. It's that easy.

Yes you can just park at centennial and cross the road.
    Clam Gulch has a better parking lot for sure, plenty of room for rigs of all sizes.
    I couldn't tell you what milepost the parking lot for clam gulch is but I know it's before the post office anyway.
    I'm sure there's a map if you follow the link I posted earlier to the Caribou Hills Cabin Hoppers website.
    I've just been there enough times I know where it's at from memory.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"