Thread: 300 RUM Nosler data change unsettling

Default 300 RUM Nosler data change unsettling

I have recently started loading my 300 RUM again after about 5 years of not using it. I have had 3 different 300 RUM guns, this one being a semi custom job. The load data does not work on this gun like the factory guns from Remington, and I was getting way too much pressure. I had to back off all my start loads and finally found a reasonable load with a 200g accubond at 91.2g of Retumbo.

I was using load data from the previous Nosler manual. Retumbo and a 200g accubond was 91-95g. I got around to looking at the new data. It is now 87.5-91.5. Almost 4 grains different. I am redoing all my brass, headspace, COL and working up a load from 89-91g to retest everything. Before I thought I was going to be way under the minimum load, which is supposed to be bad as well. Now I am right in there with my 91.2g load. I went from being scared of too little powder to now at the near max load. Unsettling.

Also, the etip bullet runs higher pressure than their regular data. They suggest starting at the minimum load and working up. I did that with the old load data and had to beat the bolt open with a 2x4. I started an admittedly high pressure bullet at what is now considered a max load when the manufacture is quite clear it is should not be. Also unsettling.

Now that I have that over with, the gun is shooting great. It is under one MOA easy and I am dialing in the particulars to get it even better for this to be my long range set up. Right now, long range to me will be 600yards prone or off the bench with a muzzle break.

I have read a couple of articles about retumbo problems (they blamed the powder) at really cold temps, cracking actions etc. I wonder if they backed off for a safer margin? I honestly have no idea, but a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    I have read a couple of articles about retumbo problems (they blamed the powder) at really cold temps, cracking actions etc. I wonder if they backed off for a safer margin? I honestly have no idea, but a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used to shoot when it was really cold out, like 0 deg. Then when I went back out in the summer I had to readjust my scopes and the loads were not the same. But, I never had a pressure "problem". Just changes in velocity/accuracy. I still shoot when it is cold, but try to evaluate loads in the 20-50 degree ranges. Where most all of my hunting is done at. If you don't shoot when it is cold out, miss about 5 months of your year.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I have recently started loading my 300 RUM again after about 5 years of not using it. I have had 3 different 300 RUM guns, this one being a semi custom job. The load data does not work on this gun like the factory guns from Remington, and I was getting way too much pressure. I had to back off all my start loads and finally found a reasonable load with a 200g accubond at 91.2g of Retumbo.

I was using load data from the previous Nosler manual. Retumbo and a 200g accubond was 91-95g. I got around to looking at the new data. It is now 87.5-91.5. Almost 4 grains different. I am redoing all my brass, headspace, COL and working up a load from 89-91g to retest everything. Before I thought I was going to be way under the minimum load, which is supposed to be bad as well. Now I am right in there with my 91.2g load. I went from being scared of too little powder to now at the near max load. Unsettling.

Also, the etip bullet runs higher pressure than their regular data. They suggest starting at the minimum load and working up. I did that with the old load data and had to beat the bolt open with a 2x4. I started an admittedly high pressure bullet at what is now considered a max load when the manufacture is quite clear it is should not be. Also unsettling.

Now that I have that over with, the gun is shooting great. It is under one MOA easy and I am dialing in the particulars to get it even better for this to be my long range set up. Right now, long range to me will be 600yards prone or off the bench with a muzzle break.
    This is why people need pressure testing equipment so youll know what is going on in your rifle.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Agreed.

However.... at what cost?

Maybe your eyes, finger(s), ect.
    https://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...