Thread: Fishing report: Little Susitna 7/23/2007

Default Fishing report: Little Susitna 7/23/2007

Went out to the little su last night (monday). Water level is up a little bit due to the rain, but still seems a tad low for this time of year. Jets should have no problems going up or downstream though. Water clarity is so-so.

Walked downstream because my boat is out of commission for the time being. There weren't really that many people, of course this is probably due to it being Monday night. While standing in the stream I could see schools of silvers, reds and chums swimming up past me. Schools of 10-30 fish passing pretty regularly. I tried Vibrax, Pixies, and a simple corkie but couldn't entice them into biting. I was out for about 2 hours and saw several fish caught below me and several caught above me. I was probably just in a bad spot but I'm not the type to go elbowing people in the good spots

Talked with a gentleman there who said there was a grizz there sunday, eating fish carcasses. He also said the previous day he was having no trouble getting the fish to bite. I'm guessing the decrease in water clarity has something to do with this.

On the way out the board at the ranger station said 87 caught that day, 67 the previous day (silvers). Also 6 reds and 4 chums. Fishing is open 24 hours right now as well!

I might go back out there tonight, or perhaps to Willow. Will report what I see.

you left right after i did our numbers brought it up to 83. we went down river a ways. saw alot of big ol paw prints on the beaches. i may also be headin there tonight after work.

Are you on foot or in a boat? What lures were ya using?

ive always fished it on foot but this year i have a new little boat i got just for the little su. we were using vibrax, bright orange, silver and the pink and blue one with silver spoons. i like the number 4's but my father prefers the 5's.

Ok, then I guess I just wasn't in the right location. Where I was fishing seemed like an area the fish wanted to move through quickly. I'll walk down farther tonight. Did you happen to notice if there were people fishing further down? I was in the straight stretch right after the little island. There were some people below me at that turn. Were there anyone further down around the next turn on foot?

nobody at all past the turn.

there was a friend of mine fishing the island he caught his two in 30 minutes.

Then I guess I know where I'm going Thanks for the info!

no problem

Tom, I sent you a PM.

I was out there again tonight (Tuesday). The water came up yet even higher and the water clarity decreased. Not surprisingly the number of fish caught has declined. My friend managed to land a small silver but that was about it. I believe it said 32 fish caught on my way out, as opposed to yesterdays 80 something. Wednesday probably won't be any good, but Thursday it might clear up some. The weekend will definitely be good fishing if it doesn't rain much more.

On another note, porcupines and dogs don't get along too well apparently. He doesn't look too happy does he? He was even less happy when I started removing quills with my pliers There are still 3 or 4 quills stuck in there, time for an appointment with the vet tomorrow. I don't suppose anyone here knows if I have anything to worry about. Are there common infections associated with this?

Default Go to the vet

Porky quills have reverse barbs and can migrate like a needle thru the skin and into tissues and into body cavities and organs. If they end up in the wrong place, they can cause havoc. I know of a case where a carotid artery was punctured a couple of weeks later by a porky quill. The dog died in minutes. Porkys are pretty filthy creatures and their quills can carry some pretty nasty bacteria internally as well.

I know quills can keep working. and heard of them going all the way though (in time) but as for bacteria I under stand the opposite is true, And heal fast. Anyone know the ture facts. I know I have gotten stuck many times (taxiderny,quill work,ect) and never had a problem with infection. I heard they have a natural antibiotic that keeps infections down. One of you collage kids must of wrote a paper on this. Lets hear it.

Default quills

Interesting about antibiotic properties of porcupine quills. I had to google it. Here's a link to an article abstract that indicates they do have such properties:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x6vh04203r676774/

On the other hand, infections can easily occur and vets will often prescribe antibiotics following quill extraction. The antibiotic properties of the quills themselves appear to be to protect the porcupine from "self-inflicted" wounds resulting from falling out of trees.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Watch the dog even after he gets back from the vet. Check out any spots he is scratching or chewing regularly

I had no idea it was so serious, they practically snatched him away from me at the vet and ushered him into a room. They had to put him under and operate