Thread: Legal consequences of overlimt

Default Legal consequences of overlimt

I was having a discussion with a coworker today on the consequences of not recording or not properly recording/overtaking the limit on your dipnet permit. The only thing I could find is that you'll get a $100 fine.
    See this link http://www.state.ak.us/courts/sco/sco1523.pdf
    under 5 AAC 77.540 (a)(2) "Failure to record salmon on personal use permit. (Upper Cook Inlet)" and it looks like its not a criminal offense.

Anyone knows otherwise?

20 years ago when I got caught with one silver salmon over the limit I was charged with a Class A misdemeanor and arraigned in felony court. I was guilty, too. What an expensive lesson. I count to three much better now!

Failure to record is a bailable offense and comes with a $100 fine plus a $10 surcharge. Overlimit in the PU fishery is just like Mr. Pid stated, a Class A misdemeanor. Fishing before or after hours is also Class A misdemeanor. Failing to mark fish is $85. Check out the link below to see how busy the Wildlife Troopers have been lately at the mouth of the Kenai. Be sure to clip fins and record fish before you leave the fishing area.

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/dispatch/index.asp

Sure are a lot of PU violations. With the recent attempts by some of the commercial guys to limit or eliminate the PU fishery we all need to be very careful to obey the laws regulating it or we just give them more ammunition to use against us.

Be lawful out there!!

Default $120/fish?

I was approached by F&G last year on the Russian. I was in the sanctuary, which was closed, but there was a regulatory sign posted on a tree that sasid no fishing below THE SIGN. So I turned my nose to common sense and proceeded to fish upstream of the tree sense the sign said it was OK. Anyway, long story a little shorter...F&G (incognito) pulled me aside and tried to write me a ticket (had 2 on the bank) and after "discussing" the fact that the sign said I could fish where I was, he tore down the sign and took my fish. I tried to keep my fish since he wasn't gonna give me a ticket, I wasn't in the wrong, right? Botom line is he took my fish and told me a ticket would have been for $120 per fish (good thing I lost the one I had on when he came up to me) I'll never bend the rules like that again...

He was a cool dude and he had bigger fish to fry because when he was dealing with me, a group of 6 drunks pulled up on the island and had 9 fish on the bank in less than 5 minutes. Needless to say the sanctuary was full of fish that day.

Speaking of fines and regs...watch the spacing between the tip and shank of your hooks!!!! My dad had to spend bookoo bucks defending himself (and winning) against F&G.

I was fishing at campbell for kings after the eo for the weekend only youth.. trooper was watching ( wont do it again )..... He was mainly focusing on a group of foreign 10 year olds that were snagging and had kept one blushed 30lb king. His fine would have been 120 for not having a king stamp, 120 for harvesting the king, 120 for snagging, and 120 for fishing in closed waters. My fine would have been 240 for "snagging" although I was just doing the pull up and the end of the cast, and 120 for fishing and close water

By the way... dont break the rules they take it very seriously and you might have to learn the hard way... dont risk your boat, fish , and a felony

Reminds me of an old (and they're all old) Beverly Hillbillies episode where Jed is fishing in a lake and a game warden comes up and asks Jed why he's fishing in the lake (it wasn't legal). Jed points to a sign as he says "the sign says Fine for Fishing, so I thought I'd wet a line". I always thought that was funny.

Default Tax dollars hard at work

Quote Originally Posted by AK Tubes View Post
    I was approached by F&G last year on the Russian. I was in the sanctuary, which was closed, but there was a regulatory sign posted on a tree that sasid no fishing below THE SIGN. So I turned my nose to common sense and proceeded to fish upstream of the tree sense the sign said it was OK. Anyway, long story a little shorter...F&G (incognito) pulled me aside and tried to write me a ticket (had 2 on the bank) and after "discussing" the fact that the sign said I could fish where I was, he tore down the sign and took my fish. I tried to keep my fish since he wasn't gonna give me a ticket, I wasn't in the wrong, right? Botom line is he took my fish and told me a ticket would have been for $120 per fish (good thing I lost the one I had on when he came up to me) I'll never bend the rules like that again...

He was a cool dude and he had bigger fish to fry because when he was dealing with me, a group of 6 drunks pulled up on the island and had 9 fish on the bank in less than 5 minutes. Needless to say the sanctuary was full of fish that day.

Speaking of fines and regs...watch the spacing between the tip and shank of your hooks!!!! My dad had to spend bookoo bucks defending himself (and winning) against F&G.
    I feel good that my property tax dollars are well spent, on salaries for judges, troopers, fish-and-game cops, paper-pushers, transportation costs, etc. all for attacking a fisherman for having a hook that might have a tip 1/8 inch too far from the shank. Maybe the state should put everything it gets from the taxpayers into attacking those fishermen and make sure we spoil their fishing trip and spend a lot of money doing it to prevent him from hooking a salmon with a slightly illegal hook.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default state tax?

When was the last time you paid state tax in AK?

Default Tax dollars?

These rules are in place for a reason, even if someone doesn't agree with them. One of the main reasons for the shank distance in that water is to discourage snagging and to reduce the chances to hook a fish to help combat overfishing that water. At least, that's what a biologist told me......

Anyway, if "they" overlooked these violations, where would it stop? The FISHERMAN needs to ensure they are following the regulation (as convaluted as they are), and if they don't violate, they won't have to worry about a citation. I applaude the Fish and Game Troopers, as they have a nearly impossible job to do, and if not for them, our resourses would be ravaged. If you are written a bad citation, get in the regulations, know the rules and challenge it in court. If you are guilty and know it, you deserve the ticket. Our fisheries have enough problems with overfishing, sports-versus-commercial access, and illegal activities to keep everybody busy. Every angler that follows the law is not only a help to the Alaska fisheries, but to Fish and Game and the image of Alaska.

Personally, I think the current level of fines are too lenient for the blatant violator. A snagger should pay more than they do now, as everyone knows, or should know, snagging (catching and landing a fish in any part other than the mouth) in fresh water is illegal unless posted as a special rule. It is printed throughout the regs, posted all over the state and in print, so there is no excuse for it. Same with the shank limits.

This is my take on this, and my opinion alone. Like it or not, but that's the way 'tis. I also thought that with Jed Clampett was funny.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    When was the last time you paid state tax in AK?
    Every year. Ever heard of property taxes?
    I don't mind paying taxes at all, just hate to see them wasted like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Every year. Ever heard of property taxes?
    There aren't any state property taxes in Alaska. Property taxes are paid to cities, municipalities, and boroughs.

Default My bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There aren't any state property taxes in Alaska. Property taxes are paid to cities, municipalities, and boroughs.
    Didn't know that. Just knew I paid a bunch, where it went I guess I didn't know.

I really wasn't complaining about paying anyway, we have it really good here.

Then hey, it's there money, they can spend it how they please, I won't complain again if they waste it.

Just an FYI - Dwight Cramer, secretary(or some such) of the KAFC - has re-submitted his proposal to allow retention of snagged fish in fresh water. Personally I am opposed to this but am interested in what the rest of you have to say about it.

Default not KAFC proposal

Gusdog44 - that is not a KAFC proposal. It is an individual proposal. Just keeping the record straight since you tried to link the two.

If you ask for an opinion you should post the whole proposal so everyone can see his reasoning. To just leave it out there without explanation does a disservice to those who want to comment. I have not seen the proposal so cannot comment unless I know it is a statewide, only the Kenai, all species, .... Maybe a proposal number and reference would help.

Default snagging

I am totally for keeping snagged fish in freshwaters. First off a limit is a limit. If you pull a fish out of the water you should have to keep it, take your 3 fish or whatever and be done. Also it seems that when I finally catch a fish in its mouth it has already been snagged and that portion is ussually inflamed and rotting, do I throw it back and hope to catch another in the mouth or keep it? I keep it and cut that portion out. On the other hand with freshly snagged fish it uneccasary to remove this portion. yes fishing is fun and it is a challenge to try to actually get them to bite. We all salmon know don't actually bite, for feeding purposes, in fresh water. They are trying to protect their eggs and spawning area from invaders and predatory fish. Really, it just unreasonable for me to have to throw back any fish that i have landed within the legal limit.

Default Can you elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Just an FYI - Dwight Cramer, secretary(or some such) of the KAFC - has re-submitted his proposal to allow retention of snagged fish in fresh water. Personally I am opposed to this but am interested in what the rest of you have to say about it.
    Can you elaborate on this?
    For example, is this in the Russian River area by chance?
    Some details or a like would be helpful.