Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice Fishing 2018

Ice on Johnson about 7-8. Stopped for 30 min on way to Soldotna. Hooked 4, got 3 on the ice and kept two. Enjoyed the muskrat that hung around and copped a breathe out of my holes every once in a while...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

figure 8 lake sounds like a good plan. u riding wheelers to it?
    Semper Fi!

I was also curious about getting out to figure 8 lake. Is the little sue thick enough to cross? It seems that there use to be a web site that showed whether that winter trail was open or not? Has anyone ran a wheeler or snowmachine out there this year?

there is a date that it opens. Once it is open you just need to stay on the marked trails and shouldnt have an issue as long as you are under the weight limit. If you get off the trail then you need "sufficient snow" to not disturb the swamps. thats how i read it any ways.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    there is a date that it opens. Once it is open you just need to stay on the marked trails and shouldnt have an issue as long as you are under the weight limit. If you get off the trail then you need "sufficient snow" to not disturb the swamps. thats how i read it any ways.
    Can you remember how we find that out or what the date is? I sure as heck can't remember!

This is my buddy Nate, He's a 30 year retired Lieutenant Colonal in the army.
    We went fishing on Sunday and had a great time.

Nate's ball joints and tie rod ends ain't as good as they used to be so he don't bend good.

We ended up keeping an even dozen. The 11 rainbows we kept were between 14 and 21 1/2 inches long. We Kept one smaller silver because his gills were injured. We let 21 fish go to get bigger.

Till next week.

This is my buddy Nate, He's a 30 year retired Lieutenant Colonal in the army.

Nate's ball joints and tie rod ends ain't as good as they used to be so he don't bend good.

We ended up keeping an even dozen. The 11 rainbows we kept were between 14 and 21 1/2 inches long. We Kept one smaller silver because his gills were injured. We let 21 fish go to get bigger.

Till next week. This is my buddy Nate, He's a 30 year retired Lieutenant Colonal in the army.

Till next week.

Wow, somehow my post was a tripleshot. The system isn't letting me delete part of it. Moderators can fix it if you like.

went to Johnson today. Came in from the old boat ramp side. Usually fish the point to the right as you go out. Was at least 4 inches of overflow there, had to come back about halfway to the old ramp to find better
    ice. Still had 2 of overflow from our holes Hooked a few, kept two nice fat ones. But lots of overflow all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Anyone driving on any of the Valley Lakes yet??

Fishing with friends.
    Me and my Cuz. Kept 13 of 25

My buddy Steve and his Grand Son. Kept 7 of 22.

My apprentices family, all first-timers. Kept 14 of 29.

My bud Matthew and his Daughter.

Caught a Quartz Lake Grand Slam, a King, a 24 inch Char, a silver and several rainbows. Kept 13 of 26.

J.R. and Jayce With a 22 inch rainbow.

Man!....you guys hammered em'...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Man!....you guys hammered em'...!!!
    We were, the oxygen levels in the lake dropped, the bite dropped so we moved to another lake, a lake trout lake. We will catch fewer fish but they will be lunkers.

Spent about 4 hours at Memory Lake in Mat-Su Valley yesterday. Not a single bite among 4 different groups. But sure was a beautiful day!!

That's interesting. I've always had pretty good success on that lake. Could have just been an off day. Or perhaps they just weren't in the spot you were fishing. Mid-winter is always the toughest time of year though for rainbows, pike and LL salmon. The char are usually fairly active, but there is not many char in that lake. I have caught them there though. Surprisingly, I have never caught a pike out of that lake, although I've been told by many that they are quite plentiful in that lake. Must me a trick to catching them.

Moved to a laker lake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12