Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moose ribs

I will never forget cooking entire sides of deer ribs all day over a bed of coals way up in the mountains of Washington. Best eating ever for a bunch of high school boys.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Slow cooker and now Instapot moose and caribou ribs are my favorite meal from both animals! I also hang the rib cage whole, slice the thick flank meat with a knife followed by a sawzall (fine blade) cutting through the same spot of the flank meat to desired size that will fit in the crockpot instapot. Cut off the big pieces of fat, but leave some on the ribs. I season them with that Executive Chef steak and prime rib seasoning from Fred Meyers, put maybe 1 cup of water in the bottom of the pot and cook on low for 8 hrs or 1hr 20 minutes in the instapot. Someimtes I add some beef bullion to the water. After the ribs are done use the liquid in the pot to make aujuis gravy, thicken with some flower if you want, pour gravy over mashed potatoes and the fall apart rib meat and then go into a coma from eating too much!! Best comfort food ever, fall apart tender, best meal of the whole critter - try it! Be sure to leave ALL of that thick, outer, flank meat on the rib cage when butchering.

We always did pretty much the same as jpost. We'd just coat 'em with our favorite bbq sauce (usually homemade) and stack 'em in the crock pot with a bottle of homebrew IPA while at work. Come home, cook some potatoes, make some gravy... It just doesn't get much better than that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I freeze the rib cage 1/2 and cut them into short ribs with a jig saw or sawzal, since I dont have a band saw. Ifr its a small bull I leave the brisket attached. Then thaw, brine overnight, then rub and wrap in saran wrap overnight. Smoke at pretty low temp just to get a rind and some flavor on the meat. Best to smoke when its cool or even cold outside that way you can keep the temp low on the smoker and still get some smoke on the ribs. The goal is to not dry them out. Then I seal them in vacuum bags. With the last brisket I injected some butter, olive oil and garlic into the brisket. Then I can freeze them until I am ready to cook. I leave them in the vacuum bag and finish by putting the bag in a water bath at just under boiling. I have used a roasting pan in the past but can be hard to control the temp. My kids got me a sous vide cooker and will use that next time. I let them finish for quite a few hours, could be 10 hours for the ribs and 24 for a brisket. Then pull them out and trow em on a hit grill just to brown them a little bit. Or I have finished the ribs by wrapping tightly in foil and putting the oven at 180 ish for 6-8 hours. The goal is to break them down w/o drying them out. The last brisket I did ended up like pastrami.....! HAHA... it was pretty darn tender and just fell apart
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I will never forget cooking entire sides of deer ribs all day over a bed of coals way up in the mountains of Washington. Best eating ever for a bunch of high school boys.
    Can you elaborate how you did this? Sounds great, would love to try if I'm successful on my upcoming deer hunt

Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    Can you elaborate how you did this? Sounds great, would love to try if I'm successful on my upcoming deer hunt
    We had an establushed fire going. Lots of coals. Used green tree limbs to hold the ribs at an angle over the coals. Moved them occasionally. Slow roasted all day. We did this several times. We whittled off chunks with our knives as they cooked and enjoyed those pieces until the entire ribcage was done..
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12