Thread: Moose ribs

Default Moose ribs

What’s everybody do with moose ribs? Are they worth cooking like beef ribs? How about rib roasts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely!
    Short ribs slow cooker then braised are great.
    Cut them up flanken style and soak in a teriyaki marinade and you have some excellent grilling ahead of you.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

My wife mixes up her own BBQ sauce, cooks moose ribs in crockpot on low for 6 hours. a ny longer and everything falls apart.

I agree..... I slow cook them in crock pot for about 6 hours in apple juice and seasoning. Pull them and put a dry rub on the grill for short while then finish w/ glazing bbq. It’s even better if you add some smoke too. Absolutely nothing wrong with wild game ribs!

2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

the thing I dislike about moose ribs is you need a band saw to cut them to a size that fits into the crock pot comfortably, without a hassle. trimming them with a hand saw so the fit into the crock pot has never been a favorite chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    the thing I dislike about moose ribs is you need a band saw to cut them to a size that fits into the crock pot comfortably, without a hassle. trimming them with a hand saw so the fit into the crock pot has never been a favorite chore.
    I usually hang the rib cage so the spine is vertical, then cut straight down through the ribs with a sawzall....works slick. Cut to desired length, clean them up with white vinegar, and butcher wrap.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thanks for the replies! Hopefully next fall I’ll have some ribs to try!

Smoke at 225 for 3 hours. Mix together one stick of melted butter, yellow mustard, paprika, and enough brown sugar to make a paste out of the mix. Spread the mixture over the ribs and wrap tightly with aluminum foil, place in a pan and bake them in the oven for 3 hours for big ribs 2 hours for smaller ribs at 225. pull them out of the oven and rest them for 30 minutes then remove and place them on the bbq at about 350 degrees or so and occasionally brush a layer of bbq sauce over them. Cook on the bbq until the bbq sauce starts to get tacky, about 45 minutes to an hour. Then pull them off the bbq and eat like a king.

My favorite way to do a moose roast is to coat the outside generously with montreal steak seasoning and place in the smoker at 225 degrees till the internal temp reaches 138-140 pull it out place it in something and cover it to let it rest a bit internal should end up around 145 after a short rest. Then cut in into steaks. No need to sear it because the smoking will give it a crust and when you cut it open it will be very juicy and moist inside. It will end up tender and look like a prime rib without the marbling but tastes amazing. Don't let the internal get above 150 degrees or it will start to dry out.

Question, when doing moose ribs is there a “skin” that needs to be removed like when you do pork ribs? I’ve only had moose ribs once and was less than impressed after my one episode. Mine always end up in the grind pile. But I really really want to like them as I love pork ribs. Thanks
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I usually hang the rib cage so the spine is vertical, then cut straight down through the ribs with a sawzall....works slick. Cut to desired length, clean them up with white vinegar, and butcher wrap.
    You make this sound easy! I tried this a coupe of weeks ago and struggled a bit. Could you explain how you do it in more detail please? For example, What type of saw blade do you use, do you cut the meat with a knife first and use the saw only on the bones, do you freeze it first? Also, how much meat and fat do you leave on the ribs? Do you take off the flat cuts down to the ribs or leave all of the meat and fat on?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    You make this sound easy! I tried this a coupe of weeks ago and struggled a bit. Could you explain how you do it in more detail please? For example, What type of saw blade do you use, do you cut the meat with a knife first and use the saw only on the bones, do you freeze it first? Also, how much meat and fat do you leave on the ribs? Do you take off the flat cuts down to the ribs or leave all of the meat and fat on?
    New blade, cold meat, and an extra pair of hands definitely make it a lot easier. I don't trim much meat off the ribs except for what's really dirty or bloodshot, the hard white fat on the outside of the meat always gets cut off and discarded.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post

My favorite way to do a moose roast is to coat the outside generously with montreal steak seasoning and place in the smoker at 225 degrees till the internal temp reaches 138-140 pull it out place it in something and cover it to let it rest a bit internal should end up around 145 after a short rest. Then cut in into steaks. No need to sear it because the smoking will give it a crust and when you cut it open it will be very juicy and moist inside. It will end up tender and look like a prime rib without the marbling but tastes amazing. Don't let the internal get above 150 degrees or it will start to dry out.
    Since I bought a digital smoker a few years ago, smoking has pretty much turned in to my go to for all my meats. Absolutely love it...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Question, when doing moose ribs is there a “skin” that needs to be removed like when you do pork ribs? I’ve only had moose ribs once and was less than impressed after my one episode. Mine always end up in the grind pile. But I really really want to like them as I love pork ribs. Thanks
    Some people remove that skin, and I have a couple times, but to tell the truth it really doesn't bother me. I just like moose ribs!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

1 cup of water and 40 minuets on High in the Instant Pot, then 5 minuets on the grill with your favorite barbeque sauce. Tender and delicious. So easy and fast you can't screw it up.