Thread: End is approaching

Default End is approaching

Managed to get out today after dropping the kiddos at school. Tried a new spot and did not realize how much time it was going to take me to get there. Shooting was slow but averaged a bird every 30 mins. Every bird that decoyed never left except for the last drake goldeneye. Ended with 4 hen goldeneyes and a greenhead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Top goldeneye is an immature drake, good hunt!

Goldeneyes don't count....

JUST KIDDING...!!!.....lol

I, for one, know I will be sad to see the end. It hasn't been real great shooting, but being out there and getting at least one or two birds makes it all worth while. I love bird hunting...!!! These late season greenheads have really been beautiful...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Went out yesterday expecting a hot barreled hunt after what I saw a couple of days before. Only ended up with 1 greenhead and one goldeneye.

Going out one more time this Saturday. And yes, 4mer, goldies do count

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Managed to get out today after dropping the kiddos at school. Tried a new spot and did not realize how much time it was going to take me to get there. Shooting was slow but averaged a bird every 30 mins. Every bird that decoyed never left except for the last drake goldeneye. Ended with 4 hen goldeneyes and a greenhead.
    What kind of dekes were you using? Did the mallard come in on the dekes?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Going out one more time this Saturday. And yes, 4mer, goldies do count
    Well I usually don't ever shoot the things anymore. But last year I shot the first one I have in many years. Surprisingly it wasn't half bad eating....of course I did soak it in salt/vinegar water overnight too.....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well I usually don't ever shoot the things anymore. But last year I shot the first one I have in many years. Surprisingly it wasn't half bad eating....of course I did soak it in salt/vinegar water overnight too.....lol.
    I just roast the little buggers with bacon and onion on top. Small, but people eat doves and snipes and such too. I really like they way they look.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Ö..Small, but people eat doves and snipes and such too.....
    It's not the small I'm talking about.....doves don't taste like old dead fish! Used to have some great dove shoots back in the day. Now THAT can be all kinds o' fun...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It's not the small I'm talking about.....doves don't taste like old dead fish! Used to have some great dove shoots back in the day. Now THAT can be all kinds o' fun...!!!
    No fish taste! I've only found them full of green matter. I don't know what they were eating, but not fish. But hey, people eat saltwater divers and they really do taste like fish! Catchfish, what did your goldies taste like?

Itís like a game of roulette one will be ok, then the next will be fishy, I have the same problem with the mallards around here as well. But Iíve watched mallards eat rotten salmon so I at least know why. I was using goldeneye decoys and yes the one mallard circled the dekes a few times on a few occasions I finally decided he wasnít gonna get any closer. The one the other night dropped out of the sky and was shot a couple feet above the water.
    I just pulled the mallard dekes the last 2 trips but I normally run 3 all year unless Iím on the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Itís like a game of roulette one will be ok, then the next will be fishy, I have the same problem with the mallards around here as well. But Iíve watched mallards eat rotten salmon so I at least know why. I was using goldeneye decoys and yes the one mallard circled the dekes a few times on a few occasions I finally decided he wasnít gonna get any closer. The one the other night dropped out of the sky and was shot a couple feet above the water.
    I just pulled the mallard dekes the last 2 trips but I normally run 3 all year unless Iím on the salt.
    Maybe I'm attracting vegan goldeneyes