Thread: PWS Winter Run

Default PWS Winter Run

I've been considering taking the boat to PWS for a deer hunt but never launched out of Whittier in the winter. Are there any special considerations or advice for the trip. My particular concern is launch or retrieve with an icy boat ramp; has anyone experienced trouble with this?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I've been considering taking the boat to PWS for a deer hunt but never launched out of Whittier in the winter. Are there any special considerations or advice for the trip. My particular concern is launch or retrieve with an icy boat ramp; has anyone experienced trouble with this?

Thanks!
    I've launched and retrieved on ice at Valdez. 4WD and chains made it uneventful.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

Thanks!
    There is a box of sand at the top of the ramp. Canít remember if there is a shovel. High tide will come in and clean the ramp off. There will still be some snow/ice above tide line. Iím more worried about backing down the ramp. One December a few years ago there was a large boat with the stern sitting in the dock. They must have lost control backing down. They were stuck and couldnít pull it back up.
    I have chained another vehicle to my from before. It can help get you over the top of the ramp and back on flat ground. Parking in the winter is nice down there. When there is a lot of snow in the forcast you can expect to have your truck and trailer drifted in.

Good luck. Be safe out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring tire chains and use them. Getting drug backwards down the ramp by your boat is not fun. Luckily leather seats are easier to clean than cloth.

I just launched last week and it was perfectly dry; but, I had the same concerns as you. I brought chains for my tires. I also brought a long tow strap to use as a safety net. My plan was if the ramp was icy I would affix the strap at the top of the ramp and to my front tow hooks. At least that way my truck wouldn't end up in the water. I have some decent tubular side steps that would take the brunt of the impact with the dock, but figured body damage would be better than being submerged in water. I wouldn't have been able to rescue myself, but the situation would have been stable enough to work on getting some help. I think a winch cable affixed to a solid point/very heavy vehicle at the top of the ramp would be best if really concerned about ice.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Was down in Whittier today, roads were clear, but 5-8" snow, then rain and freezing temps on the way this week. Definitely bring chains and I would bring your own sand. Had a friend slide his boat and truck down the ramp last year, luckily stayed straight and stopped when the boat splashed. The guy after him was not so lucky, jacknifed and boat slammed into the dock, did some damage. Neither had chains on, I'd walk the ramp before trying to back down it.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I just launched last week and it was perfectly dry; but, I had the same concerns as you. I brought chains for my tires. I also brought a long tow strap to use as a safety net. My plan was if the ramp was icy I would affix the strap at the top of the ramp and to my front tow hooks. At least that way my truck wouldn't end up in the water. I have some decent tubular side steps that would take the brunt of the impact with the dock, but figured body damage would be better than being submerged in water. I wouldn't have been able to rescue myself, but the situation would have been stable enough to work on getting some help. I think a winch cable affixed to a solid point/very heavy vehicle at the top of the ramp would be best if really concerned about ice.
    What will your anchor point be at the top of the ramp?

Iím planning on a Saturday or Sunday launch. We plan on taking 2 trucks just incase we need a little more power on the ramp. But there isnít really anything at the top of the ramp to anchor on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk