Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commissioner of ADFG

Not for me to do. If the person wanted to have their name out they might have not pulled out.
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskanharvest View Post
    Please do share the name!

All you have to do is the math. Last year on reds alone was over $1,000,000 of fish not harvested add in coho chums, and pinks. You have to add in loss income for workers and fish plants.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    And the facts that support 1,000,000,000 worth of mismanagement too; Enquiring minds want to know please.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    All you have to do is the math. Last year on reds alone was over $1,000,000 of fish not harvested add in coho chums, and pinks. You have to add in loss income for workers and fish plants.

Uh, sorry can't count coho... the harvest was DOUBLE the ten year average....

One bright note, however, was the coho harvest. Upper Cook Inlet fishermen brought in about $1.3 million in ex-vessel value for cohos, about double the recent 10-year average of $699,300, according to the management report.

....and ADFG made extra areas available to target Kasilof sockeye....

Adding to the complexity was the relatively decent-sized run of sockeye returning to the Kasilof River, mixed along the shore with Kenai River king salmon. This year marked the first time the North Kalifornsky Beach area was opened within 600 feet of shore in an attempt to focus harvest on Kasilof River sockeye while minimizing Kenai sockeye and king harvest.

As the Kenai sockeye run continued to fail to materialize, the Kasilof run kept coming back, and managers used the 600-foot fishery in the Kasilof section and ultimately the Kasilof River Special Harvest Area a one-mile square area around the mouth of the Kasilof River to try to harvest that stock to prevent the run from surpassing the escapement goal. In the end, it did anyway, according to the salmon season management report.
    https://www.adn.com/business-economy...r-declaration/
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Cdubbin- just because the harvest was double the 10 year avg., doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't lost harvest opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Cdubbin- just because the harvest was double the 10 year avg., doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't lost harvest opportunity.
    Ok....so please share with us which rivers in UCI saw massive overescapement in 2018....we'll wait...
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Can you tell me why we can't count Coho? Over escapement is just that, fish that should have been harvested! Did ADF&G open the terminal fishery on the Kasilof? NO would be the word you are looking for. Silvers have been part of the harvest for as long as commercial fishing has been in Cook Inlet. The forecast for this next year has not been put out yet. wonder why? It is going to be at or above the 20 year average, and that is not what KRSA wants to be published.

MGH55 I think you are going down a rabbit hole using coho. Data indicates all harvests are ending with an exploitation rate in sustainable levels. No major loss of harvest. Pink salmon are different and one could design fishery on them but it would not be drift fishery. I think it serves no purpose to use terms like mismagement. One can challenge whether all laws and regulations have been followed. A court has not ruled on that only that a federal plan is required. I think you have stronger position when you use specifics. So ask why pink salmon are not harvested at high sustain yield levels. Ask why the State has no invasive species program in the valley. Ask how the State is dealing with 4 sockeye systems o longer exist under State management. Ask how did 30 years of miscounting kenai chinook impacted management decisions and the list goes on. There are answers here but a catch all term like mismanagement does not apply.

My two permits do not say red, pink, king, coho, or chum! It is no rabbit hole. You were great at what you did, but we as fishers need someone to stand up! Now is the time. The UCIDA lawsuit has got to have some teeth to it! We won, or lost? It might be time to hold some feet to the fire. We and many others can't wait to long or we will all be dead, or to old to fight.

In the last few years we have had record Coho harvest, but you should ask why! It is because someone didn't know that you can't put every boat in the fleet in area 1 after July 10th and not cause a bunch of Coho to die! Lets just say that area wide was open you would have 375 boat spread all over, and not all set on the sandbar between the Island and the sandbar to make big silver sets. I pulled my gear and went home because of the number of silvers I had on my first set. I will never do that again. One of the people I fish with had over 9000lbs of silvers that day. I had about 3000lbs of silvers, and 1000lbs of reds. If I could have fished in area 2 I feel I could of had a 5000lb day of reds and very few silvers.

My two permits do not say red, pink, king, coho, or chum! It is no rabbit hole. You were great at what you did, but we as fishers need someone to stand up! Now is the time. The UCIDA lawsuit has got to have some teeth to it! We won, or lost? It might be time to hold some feet to the fire. We and many others can't wait to long or we will all be dead, or to old to fight.
    Can you update me on what exactly the UCIDA lawsuit you refer to was supposed to accomplish? What are the implications? Its an honest question. I have no idea about what was settled there.

No offense but commercial fisherman are their own worse enemy. A few years ago some of tried to take a rationale approach. We had fisherman saying they supported the approach 100 %. Only to get to Board meeting and have some backstab fisherman and those tying to help. Outright lying and misinformation from commercial fisherman. Also ignorance of facts and wild claims just played into KRSA hands. So my recommendation is get your house in order. UCIDA has no credit with anyone as they are part of problem of misinformation. Also the Federal suit is 10 years. Old. What has it accomplished. We will be dead before it is resolved.

Relative o Area 1 I agree. It should not be mandated. ADFG needs more flexibility

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    MGH55 I think you are going down a rabbit hole using coho. Data indicates all harvests are ending with an exploitation rate in sustainable levels. No major loss of harvest. Pink salmon are different and one could design fishery on them but it would not be drift fishery. I think it serves no purpose to use terms like mismagement. One can challenge whether all laws and regulations have been followed. A court has not ruled on that only that a federal plan is required. I think you have stronger position when you use specifics. So ask why pink salmon are not harvested at high sustain yield levels. Ask why the State has no invasive species program in the valley. Ask how the State is dealing with 4 sockeye systems o longer exist under State management. Ask how did 30 years of miscounting kenai chinook impacted management decisions and the list goes on. There are answers here but a catch all term like mismanagement does not apply.
    Also ask what has been done specifically to address the complete collapse of the chinook run in the Susitna and Little Su. Sport fishing has been highly restricted and outright closed, the Mat-Su borough has replaced many culverts, but what proactive steps have been taken by the state to restore this population of fish?

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Also ask what has been done specifically to address the complete collapse of the chinook run in the Susitna and Little Su. Sport fishing has been highly restricted and outright closed, the Mat-Su borough has replaced many culverts, but what proactive steps have been taken by the state to restore this population of fish?
    ADF&G identifies, surveys and inventories those bad culverts, and many replacements are funded by Fed grants through the USFWS... give credit where due...

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    ADF&G identifies, surveys and inventories those bad culverts, and many replacements are funded by Fed grants through the USFWS... give credit where due...
    Yes, USFWS contributions (funding, in-depth surveys, science, advice, etc.) have been generally 'unappreciated' (disparaged and ignored in some cases) with impunity in the Mat Su, to include by government agencies.

Current Dunleavy appointees being discussed here, associated organizations and some of their proponents have unfortunately been involved on various levels relative to this bent.
    Having little to no faith in this consortium, there is hope that in the meantime at least one them may have grown in heart and mind.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

DVL just announced Dave Rutz as the new director of SF and Sam Rabung as the new director of CF.

That mismanagement is pushing $1,000,000,000
    I think you have been drinking too much of UCIDA koolaid. They only won that an FMP has to be written. Nothing about mismanagement compensation and frankly the mismanagement position is pretty weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
    DVL just announced Dave Rutz as the new director of SF and Sam Rabung as the new director of CF.
    I respect and have had very good experiences with Dave Rutz.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123