Thread: Commissioner of ADFG

Default Commissioner of ADFG

I was sorry to Doug Vincent Lang is acting Commissioner and probably will be Commissioner. I know this individual and I can tell you it is a terrible choice. In my opinion staff moral will go down and ADFG standing in the scientific community will be damaged. In my opinion Mr Lang has already proven this when he was pivotal in the Feds asking State representatives asked to leave the Beluga whale scientific group working on recovery because Mr Lang insisted on non objective criteria by the representatives. So Relative to my personal experience I feel he is not very qualified for the job. ADFG deserves better.

Then who? You haven't liked a F&G commissioner in a long time if my recollection is correct.

What could he possibly do worse than what we've already endured over the years? Give commercial fishing interests a higher priority than number one? Give away state interests to private corporations? Introduce bass to Anchorage lakes? Sorry, but I suspect he will be about on par with the rest of them. Given than he was educated in Fairbanks, perhaps he will remember that there is a portion of the state outside the Kenai corridor, which would be a welcome change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I was sorry to Doug Vincent Lang is acting Commissioner and probably will be Commissioner. I know this individual and I can tell you it is a terrible choice. In my opinion staff moral will go down and ADFG standing in the scientific community will be damaged. In my opinion Mr Lang has already proven this when he was pivotal in the Feds asking State representatives asked to leave the Beluga whale scientific group working on recovery because Mr Lang insisted on non objective criteria by the representatives. So Relative to my personal experience I feel he is not very qualified for the job. ADFG deserves better.
    It's pretty apparent that "terrible choice" is going to be the prevailing theme...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Then who? You haven't liked a F&G commissioner in a long time if my recollection is correct.

Your correct. Recent Commissioners have been selected for reason other than resource protection and they have degraded the trust in the department. If it was my choice I would choose someone qualified in resource management , a people person who can rebuild a demoralized staff , who understand the need for good State/Federal relationships, who will focus on habitat issues not allocation, who will advice the Gov on why changes are needed for the Boards and the list goes on. I would have gone outside the State to bring new innovation. Lang meets none of these criteria and fails on most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    It's pretty apparent that "terrible choice" is going to be the prevailing theme...
    Amen. Once again mention of VECO/Bill Allen/CBC infiltrates our news feeds.
    Lemme tell you about some amusing experiences ..... no, no, can't do that here on the intertube! Maybe over a beer sometime.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/r...ecruitment.pdf

Joint Board is taking applications for the job.

Roland Maw should put his application in, he hasn't been found guilty of anything.

I'm waiting for Rossi to pop back up. The CBC is being reincarnated as we speak.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

I agree with Nerka. I have known DVL for a long time and he is one of the most obnoxious people I have ever met. He is very smart but he likes to argue and pick a fight. After retiring from ADF&G I went to work for USFWS and he was a pain in the ass when he was working for the ADF&G Wildlife Division. I heard from friends that if he was in the meeting all he would do was argue. The meetings would come to a screeching halt when he was present. ADF&G staff morale is already at rock bottom and will get worse. They have trouble recruiting and hanging on to people because of poor leadership.

Roland Maw should put his application in, he hasn't been found guilty of anything.
    Your right he has not been found guilty yet. I know you were being snarky but letís give the system a chance to work and forget Roland in the discussions.

Maybe he should. I heard the judge is dusting off his resume. Maybe those two would balance each other out. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Your right he has not been found guilty yet. I know you were being snarky but letís give the system a chance to work and forget Roland in the discussions.
    Yep, good lessons for all from Roland, politicians need to make sure they do a good job of vetting their appointees and when caught plead "no contest" so your defenders can say you are not guilty and delay, delay and hope it goes away.......

Going to be an interesting few months of transition. Not sure about a return of the judge, I haven't heard that one, but seems a lot of recycling going on.

Yep, good lessons for all from Roland, politicians need to make sure they do a good job of vetting their appointees and when caught plead "no contest" so your defenders can say you are not guilty and delay, delay and hope it goes away.......

Going to be an interesting few months of transition. Not sure about a return of the judge, I haven't heard that one, but seems a lot of recycling going on.
    What are you talking about. Roland is assumed guilty in Montana cases for purpose of sentencing. The state has fouled up the Alaska case. The judge dismissed charges over three times because the State is not following the rules The first time they used hearsay evidence which was tainted. Next they repackaged the same filing and the judge got pissed. A new judge just delayed again because state documents. So it is not Roland. I wish it would go to trail. I have confidence in the state

I would have to go back and look but there was it was discussed on the forum that he wasn't found guilty and forum members went back and forth about it. When ib looked at the court record charges were only dismissed once but i would have to re-look at it. Too many times tis case was scheduled for trial only to be delayed. I heard the judge has a connection to the case somehow and they had to switch judges.
    No worries, not that big of a deal. I'm guessing he won't throw his hat in the ring.