Thread: Securing a Wood stove at remote cabin

Default Securing a Wood stove at remote cabin

As I sit and think about my cabin out on the Yentna river first is the cabin still sitting on top of the hill and pilings ? Next is the cabin is standing is my wood stove still in the same room that it was instaled in. Or is in the kitchen or front porch ?? Had never given much thought about securing the stove but if a big quqke hit while I was there with a fire going . Could prove to be quite exciting . When I get to the cabin and things are so so I will be making aragements to secure the wood stove.

Supporting Member

A lot of us now have a chance to step back and think about what happened, what could have happened, and are we ready for the next earthquake.

For example, I had a thermal expansion tank connected to my hot water heater that was installed by the previous owner. I never noticed that it was not installed properly; I.e. not strapped to the wall but instead just supported by the water line. The force of the quake bent the copper line and the tank slammed into the hot water heater. Fortunately I was home and got the water turned off before any damage occurred, but it could have been much worse.

I am now going through my home with a more critical eye....

Securing the stove makes sense and also the vent pipe sections.

Also having a survival cache, maybe just a 55 gal. drum with a lock ring lid. Keep all your old coats and boots, etc.. Think in terms of what if you exit the cabin 3:45 AM barefoot in your longjohns as it burns in -22 degree and 7 feet of snow.

In the old days the classic elevated log cache, served many needs, one was shelter if the cabin burned to the ground. Spare everything s stored n the cache, just the day to day essentials were in the cabin.