Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cut bait for Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Perhaps the best compromise is a 35 mm film case or similar filled with slow release sent about 6' away from the jig. Close enough to be effective, not so close as to mess up the action of the jig.
    I use oil cleanup rags cut into about 4' squares soaked in Mikes Herring Oil. I cut them into pieces, put them in a zip lock and put enough oil in till all of the pieces are soaked. In a 2 hook rig, the top hook gets a rag as a well as bait.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

I don't fish halibut in Seward much, mostly fish cook inlet, but the few times I have been in Seward the charter guys would cut up herring chum by just throwing it overboard. Always amazed me that they say they catch halibut with the chunk in their stomach. Didn't make much sense fishing below the boat in 200 plus feet of water and throwing chum on the surface to sink down as the tide took it away, but they swore by it.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I don't fish halibut in Seward much, mostly fish cook inlet, but the few times I have been in Seward the charter guys would cut up herring chum by just throwing it overboard. Always amazed me that they say they catch halibut with the chunk in their stomach. Didn't make much sense fishing below the boat in 200 plus feet of water and throwing chum on the surface to sink down as the tide took it away, but they swore by it.
    on this subject, its amazing what chum like this can do for mooching salmon.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I talked to a guy that would catch a silver and scrape scales into the water and the flash would draw more around

I talked to a guy that would catch a silver and scrape scales into the water and the flash would draw more around
    Draw more what.....silvers or halibut?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Draw more what.....silvers or halibut?
    More silvers. I haven't tried it but he said it looks like a disco ball slowly dropping in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I use oil cleanup rags cut into about 4' squares soaked in Mikes Herring Oil. I cut them into pieces, put them in a zip lock and put enough oil in till all of the pieces are soaked. In a 2 hook rig, the top hook gets a rag as a well as bait.
    I do the same thing except I cut them about the shape/length of a troll herring and store them in a sample paint container full of herring oil so I don't have to worry about punctures or leaks. I've caught a lot of salmon and rockfish with just that on a bare hook. The rig pictured is from walmart and have integral scent tubes. They work pretty well. I fill them with ground up herring and anchovy paste. If a fish finds the scent, they also find the hook.
    Attached Images Attached Images

...cut up herring chum by just throwing it overboard.
    Don't tell anyone but that's KILLER when anchored and mooching for salmon (little sections about 1/2" long for more scent and a slow dribble of the things over the side). Draws in the salmon like a magnet, and every single solitary one you open is going to have herring chunks in its belly.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Ready for a laugh? Years ago on a halibut trip out of Homer, I brought along some old nasty freezer burned caribou meat. We've all heard the stories about people finding weird stuff in the stomach of halibut including a pack of wieners. Well my fishing partners laughed....right up until I caught the first halibut. A 110 pounder. Guess what everyone wanted to use for bait after that? I shared some of it. I think that bloody meat was a good attractant. We had a great day.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Ready for a laugh? Years ago on a halibut trip out of Homer, I brought along some old nasty freezer burned caribou meat. We've all heard the stories about people finding weird stuff in the stomach of halibut including a pack of wieners. Well my fishing partners laughed....right up until I caught the first halibut. A 110 pounder. Guess what everyone wanted to use for bait after that? I shared some of it. I think that bloody meat was a good attractant. We had a great day.
    Did a bear hunt across Cook Inlet in May 2008. On the way back we pulled into compass rose area. Had rods on the boat and no bait, so I used moose hot dogs. We limited in no time. Did it attract them via sent? Heck no, but halibut are opportunistic predators and if in the area and hungry, I'm sure they'd eat a stinky sock.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Did a bear hunt across Cook Inlet in May 2008. On the way back we pulled into compass rose area. Had rods on the boat and no bait, so I used moose hot dogs. We limited in no time. Did it attract them via sent? Heck no, but halibut are opportunistic predators and if in the area and hungry, I'm sure they'd eat a stinky sock.
    I knew a guy that fished out of PWS and he would try the goofiest things just to see if they would work. He always caught large halibut using a Barbie doll, Godzilla action figure, a giant rubber grasshopper, spiderman action figure, and various other kid toys.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I knew a guy that fished out of PWS and he would try the goofiest things just to see if they would work. He always caught large halibut using a Barbie doll, Godzilla action figure, a giant rubber grasshopper, spiderman action figure, and various other kid toys.
    I have had this happen on my boat as well!!

Since we drifted into chumming with the topic... The best I have ever done! I anchored up in a spot in Secret Cove and dropped a line with herring. I then sat there and plucked about 350 shrimp heads off into the water. Within two hours I had four halibut between 46-49". Best halibut fishing ever. Everyone of the halibut had shrimp heads in the mouth or belly.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Since we drifted into chumming with the topic... The best I have ever done! I anchored up in a spot in Secret Cove and dropped a line with herring. I then sat there and plucked about 350 shrimp heads off into the water. Within two hours I had four halibut between 46-49". Best halibut fishing ever. Everyone of the halibut had shrimp heads in the mouth or belly.

now that is interesting
    Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130

I no longer use my downriggers for chum bags. Had a big halibut pull my boat sideways and then she followed the ball to the surface and then she ate the chum bag and the 10lb cannonball and ripped it off by breaking the clip connection on the rigger line. I use a separate heavy rod and it usually has a couple 12/0 big river hooks hanging on the edge and bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234