Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cut bait for Halibut.

The feminine hygiene products post is going to cause a few of my friends to, instead of a box of coal, get a box with erm, those and a bottle of herring oil and probably a few *** dude... phone calls on Christmas Day hehe

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post

I have caught a fair amount of yelloweye on my longline. Apparently they will go after static bait. Have never caught any other type of rockfish on it.
    Shortraker, rougheye, and thornyhead rockfish definitely take static bait as well.

My family has been longlining for over 40 years, and while we're a small boat with a relatively limited amount of quota, we've certainly learned what works for us over the years. We primarily use herring because it's inexpensive and easy (and works well), but the best bait for consistently catching fish (both numbers and size) in our experience is pacific cod followed by salmon. Octopus is excellent as well, but we don't often have that on hand. Most anything will work - halibut aren't picky - but given my choice of any bait I've ever tried, I'd go with cod every time.

Brain,

When you use P-cod, is it freshly caught? Curious if that plays a roll vs. frozen herring.

I primarily use jigs for bottom fish these days, though often tip them with a piece of herring, or put down a chum bag. When I've had some people fishing jigs and some fishing bait, the jigs are almost guaranteed to outfish bait.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafish View Post
    The feminine hygiene products post is going to cause a few of my friends to, instead of a box of coal, get a box with erm, those and a bottle of herring oil and probably a few *** dude... phone calls on Christmas Day hehe
    This method works great for halibut. The only problem is that they will eventually eat them, so stock up!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    This method works great for halibut. The only problem is that they will eventually eat them, so stock up!
    Would also be nice if folks stuck with a 100% cotton product, rather than the brands composed of micro-plastics.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Would also be nice if folks stuck with a 100% cotton product, rather than the brands composed of micro-plastics.
    Good point!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Brain,

When you use P-cod, is it freshly caught? Curious if that plays a roll vs. frozen herring.
    Generally, yes. Sometimes we'll freeze it for a few weeks, but mostly it is used fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Not according to the trooper who boarded us. No ticket but he told us we needed to have our clients take those salmon bellies home. Ling bellies are very thin and I don't think they could be confused for edible meat.
    Interesting. Just re-read the relevant part of the regulations, and I can understand the troopers interpretation.

"Unless provided for in this section, fish taken under sport fishing regulations may not be used as bait, except ... chum salmon, pink salmon ... may be used as bait, and ... [t]he head, tail, fins, closely trimmed skeleton, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used as bait"

I've always assumed that salmon bellies were just part of the trimmed skeleton, but I guess the troopers take is on "closely" trimmed. But, you can still use any part of a pink or chum.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    Interesting. Just re-read the relevant part of the regulations, and I can understand the troopers interpretation.

"Unless provided for in this section, fish taken under sport fishing regulations may not be used as bait, except ... chum salmon, pink salmon ... may be used as bait, and ... [t]he head, tail, fins, closely trimmed skeleton, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used as bait"

I've always assumed that salmon bellies were just part of the trimmed skeleton, but I guess the troopers take is on "closely" trimmed. But, you can still use any part of a pink or chum.
    So that just saying sport caught fish. I think you can legally use personal use fish bellies (Dip netted fish) for bait maybe. There was a huge thread on it before.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post

The belly meat on kings is very edible, so I see their point. Coho bellies on the other hand, not much there. I canít tell you how many printed articles with pictures I have seen with a big chunk of king belly on the hook.
    Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130

I will say, when I want monster lingcod, itís a anchor/static bait deal, within inches of the bottom. The majority 48Ē+ lingcod that has been hooked on my boat has come that way. The older lings seem pretty jig savvy in my area.
    Alaska Wide Open Charters
    www.alaskawideopen.com
    907-965-0130

The older lings seem pretty jig savvy in my area.
    I can tell you from my lab time, lings are one of the smartest fish I've ever dealt with. Kinda gets lost in their attitude and temper, but they learn REAL fast.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

When using the traditional frozen herring, do you prefer it freshly thawed, salted or brined?

I usually use it freshly thawed and it works as expected but it isn't as tough on the hook as salted or brined but fresh thawed seems to have more oils and scent coming off of it.

What are some preferences and experiences?

The belly meat on kings is very edible, so I see their point. Coho bellies on the other hand, not much there. I canít tell you how many printed articles with pictures I have seen with a big chunk of king belly on the hook.
    Salmon bellies are bacon of the sea, especially when smoked.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    When using the traditional frozen herring, do you prefer it freshly thawed, salted or brined?

I usually use it freshly thawed and it works as expected but it isn't as tough on the hook as salted or brined but fresh thawed seems to have more oils and scent coming off of it.

What are some preferences and experiences?
    Before the fish plant moved from what is now the city dock in Valdez you could catch herring from it. I'd go down, fill a 5 gallon bucked and the freeze them in gallon bags. Each bag got about 1/4 cup of pickling salt with a little water in the bag. That bait worked well. It was firmer and lasted longer.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    As it works out, we use mostly cured (ProCure). That's cuzz halibut fishing is usually the afterthought after a day of salmon trolling, and I save the cutplug and whole herring I've taken off the salmon gear along the way. When that runs out I'll move on to fresh thawed. I've never been able to tell the difference in catch, other than the cured lasting a bit longer.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Salmon bellies are bacon of the sea, especially when smoked.
    thats true but if i can turn 3oz of meat into 50 pounds of meat its worth it in my book. all of our fish over 70 pounds came off of pink bellies last year. well that and a hoochie trolling for kings. Like i have heard before chum often, chum hard once they are in the area you should be able to get them to bite on something.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

All I have to contribute (since I catch all my halibut trolling) is what Iíve learned from my buddy I deck for in the fall and winter. Chum. Lots of it. We put #15 of good herring smashed up with an entire $20 bottle of butt juice down off the stern. Seems to work well. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    All I have to contribute (since I catch all my halibut trolling) is what Iíve learned from my buddy I deck for in the fall and winter. Chum. Lots of it. We put #15 of good herring smashed up with an entire $20 bottle of butt juice down off the stern. Seems to work well. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The nice part of our area is we have a small commercial fishery for herring in late April/early May, I usually purchase 800-1000 pounds of fresh herring and freeze it myself, enough to last most of the season. What doesn't get used in a day goes into the next days chum bag. I think I went thru about 200 pounds octo as well. The Octopus topped of with butt juice and a chunk of herring is my go to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast