Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 67 of 67

Thread: Cut bait for Halibut.

  1. #61
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Perhaps the best compromise is a 35 mm film case or similar filled with slow release sent about 6' away from the jig. Close enough to be effective, not so close as to mess up the action of the jig.
    I use oil cleanup rags cut into about 4' squares soaked in Mikes Herring Oil. I cut them into pieces, put them in a zip lock and put enough oil in till all of the pieces are soaked. In a 2 hook rig, the top hook gets a rag as a well as bait.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    I don't fish halibut in Seward much, mostly fish cook inlet, but the few times I have been in Seward the charter guys would cut up herring chum by just throwing it overboard. Always amazed me that they say they catch halibut with the chunk in their stomach. Didn't make much sense fishing below the boat in 200 plus feet of water and throwing chum on the surface to sink down as the tide took it away, but they swore by it.

  3. #63
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I don't fish halibut in Seward much, mostly fish cook inlet, but the few times I have been in Seward the charter guys would cut up herring chum by just throwing it overboard. Always amazed me that they say they catch halibut with the chunk in their stomach. Didn't make much sense fishing below the boat in 200 plus feet of water and throwing chum on the surface to sink down as the tide took it away, but they swore by it.
    on this subject, its amazing what chum like this can do for mooching salmon.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    I talked to a guy that would catch a silver and scrape scales into the water and the flash would draw more around

  5. #65
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    10,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I talked to a guy that would catch a silver and scrape scales into the water and the flash would draw more around
    Draw more what.....silvers or halibut?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Draw more what.....silvers or halibut?
    More silvers. I haven't tried it but he said it looks like a disco ball slowly dropping in the water.

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I use oil cleanup rags cut into about 4' squares soaked in Mikes Herring Oil. I cut them into pieces, put them in a zip lock and put enough oil in till all of the pieces are soaked. In a 2 hook rig, the top hook gets a rag as a well as bait.
    I do the same thing except I cut them about the shape/length of a troll herring and store them in a sample paint container full of herring oil so I don't have to worry about punctures or leaks. I've caught a lot of salmon and rockfish with just that on a bare hook. The rig pictured is from walmart and have integral scent tubes. They work pretty well. I fill them with ground up herring and anchovy paste. If a fish finds the scent, they also find the hook.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •