Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must be an optimistic old man!

Default I must be an optimistic old man!

I just bought an 8 pound jug of Bullseye! I use it in my 357 with 158 grain cast bullets as my plinker load. I load 4 grains per round! It took me 10 years to shoot up the last jug! Another 10 years makes me.......I better get to shooting!

Atsa way! Got two neighbors, both 95 YOA, and in fact born a day apart on opposite sides of the continent. Great fun to get the two of them together and listen to their "I'm so old...." stories. Best today was "I'm so old I don't buy green bananas!" Other day it was "I,m so old I voted for FDR... Three times!"

Shoot up that jug and one more after it. I wanna hear you saying "I'm so old I was able to shoot up three 8# jugs of Bullseye in a row!"
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I'm so old almost every thing I buy is going to last for ever. They must make stuff better now days.

Supporting Member

I'm so old I don't bother rotating my tires.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Supporting Member

A while back I was thinking I should make sure I had an oil filter for the upcoming oil change in the Kenworth. Thought I had one at the shop. Couldn't find one, so I bought one. Later I opened up a cabinet and discovered 4 of them. So I now have 5 oil filters for the KW. Someone else will be using most of them.

Two years ago I had a man do some dirt work for me that was in his early 90's. He was in and out of that excavator almost like a guy half his age, and better than a lot that are!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I just bought an 8 pound jug of Bullseye! I use it in my 357 with 158 grain cast bullets as my plinker load. I load 4 grains per round! It took me 10 years to shoot up the last jug! Another 10 years makes me.......I better get to shooting!
    14,000 rounds. I don't shoot that many 22s. Well, maybe. That's only 28 Bricks. It's doable.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am almost embarrassed to say this but last night I shot 200 rounds through a Heritage Rough Rider and for the most part hit everything that at which I was shooting. Decent trigger, it functioned without a flaw. So I gave the guy the $100 he was asking for it. I actually kind like it. Gulp!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I am almost embarrassed to say this but last night I shot 200 rounds through a Heritage Rough Rider and for the most part hit everything that at which I was shooting. Decent trigger, it functioned without a flaw. So I gave the guy the $100 he was asking for it. I actually kind like it. Gulp!
    I shoot better, when I gotta stop every few rounds and reload.

With 2 Auto pistols, and 2 Auto rifles with 10 round magazines, I can go through a brick in a surprisingly short time.

But due to fatigue, this really doesn't help my shooting, much. I need to get back to the Single Six, more often, or just don't fully load the magazines on the autos.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I shoot better, when I gotta stop every few rounds and reload.

With 2 Auto pistols, and 2 Auto rifles with 10 round magazines, I can go through a brick in a surprisingly short time.

But due to fatigue, this really doesn't help my shooting, much. I need to get back to the Single Six, more often, or just don't fully load the magazines on the autos.

Smitty of the North
    Back in the 'kid' days, I could empty my Winchester pump 62 faster than my cousins could empty their autos. Hold the trigger down and pump like mad. My brother thought he was gonna save ammo by buying a single shot .22 rifle. At the end of the day his 500 round carton would be empty just like ours. Fun times.

The point I'm trying to make is NOT saving ammo. BUT, more meaningful practice. I think a large magazine encourages careless shooting.

Granted, it is fun, sometimes. I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

EKC:
    I seen one of those Heritage volvers, for the1st time, tonight, after reading your post. This one had a long barrel, and an interesting safety. Imagine, a Manuel SAFETY on a Single Action.

I was SURPRISED that the Frame was so SMALL, close to the size of the Ruger Bearcat, than a Single Six.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Back in the 'kid' days, I could empty my Winchester pump 62 faster than my cousins could empty their autos. Hold the trigger down and pump like mad. My brother thought he was gonna save ammo by buying a single shot .22 rifle. At the end of the day his 500 round carton would be empty just like ours. Fun times.
    Me too. I got my Remington 514 brand new when I was 13. I wish I knew how many bricks of ammo have been shot through that thing. It is semi retired now and sits by the back door and shoots only the CCI quiet ammo at the garden raiding critters.

I was at Brownells the night before last getting some brass and while waiting for my order to come up I made the usual mistake of wandering by the used gun rack. They had a new blemished(small scratch on the matte finished barrel) Savage B22 Precision rimfire for $225. I took it home with me! It and a brick of ammo are laying on the kitchen table ready for a trip to the range after work today. I just may not come home until all 500 rounds are shot up...ya just never know. I'm funny that way. I may shoot most of them through my Bisley 22 and this Heritage tackle box gun. I like shooting my revolvers better than rifles these days!

It's kinda funny....probably nobody out there has bad mouthed these Heritage 22 revolvers more than me. Now I own one and plan to keep it.

Smitty that safety on the shroud looks as out of place as a wart on an eyelid but it's just like a manual transfer bar only since it doesn't drop out of the way it allows you to dry fire the gun without the hammer hitting the firing pin. I watched Josey Wales again last night and I dry fired at the TV a hunert times I betcha! Am I the only one that does that?

EKC & Smoke:
    You guys lived well. I have no idea how I came up with the money, but maybe twice a year, I was able to buy a single box of, off the wall brand, 22 shorts for 49 cents.

I kept track, one year, and I had bagged 42 Squirrels. We ATE every one. I usta love squirrels. We all did, cept my Mom. She was happy to cook them, though.

I shot them in a Marlin BA that was clip Fed. I didn't own it. It was a family gun. My folks, including my brothers, considered it nothing more than a tool. In fact, when I was older, I discovered a USED Single Shot BA for $7.50, but my Mom and Dad wouldn't let me buy it.

I made up for the disappointment later. Once, when I was between jobs, I sent all my guns home in MO, all the way from AK, via UPS. They were there for a time.

My folks couldn't understand why anyone would want that many guns.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    EKC & Smoke:
    You guys lived well. I have no idea how I came up with the money, but maybe twice a year, I was able to buy a single box of, off the wall brand, 22 shorts for 49 cents.

I kept track, one year, and I had bagged 42 Squirrels. We ATE every one. I usta love squirrels. We all did, cept my Mom. She was happy to cook them, though.

I shot them in a Marlin BA that was clip Fed. I didn't own it. It was a family gun. My folks, including my brothers, considered it nothing more than a tool. In fact, when I was older, I discovered a USED Single Shot BA for $7.50, but my Mom and Dad wouldn't let me buy it.

I made up for the disappointment later. Once, when I was between jobs, I sent all my guns home in MO, all the way from AK, via UPS. They were there for a time.

My folks couldn't understand why anyone would want that many guns.

Smitty of the North
    A favorite story from my F.I.L. who grew up in norther Alberta during the depression. He lived with his Grandma. He trapped during the winter. Was seeing lots of Hares and told Grandma (he was about 10 years old) that he wanted to use his trapping money to buy a box of .22 so he could shoot some of the rabbits he was seeing. She agreed, but told him she would do the shooting so to not waste ammo. She got 49 hares with that box of ammo and one wounded escaped. When he was older he took his rifle to school and left it propped up in the corner during school hours and shot game on the way home. Different times for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    A favorite story from my F.I.L. who grew up in norther Alberta during the depression. He lived with his Grandma. He trapped during the winter. Was seeing lots of Hares and told Grandma (he was about 10 years old) that he wanted to use his trapping money to buy a box of .22 so he could shoot some of the rabbits he was seeing. She agreed, but told him she would do the shooting so to not waste ammo. She got 49 hares with that box of ammo and one wounded escaped. When he was older he took his rifle to school and left it propped up in the corner during school hours and shot game on the way home. Different times for sure.
    My father told me that when times got tough, my grandmother would make him stay home from school sometimes and sit under a big fig tree all day shooting black birds with his double barreled BB gun, so the family would have something to eat that night. Namely black bird pie.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I don't think I ever bought a full brick of 22lr until I was at least 21yrs old. My dad never shot anything that didn't need shot and I only saw him miss once. That stuck with me. I have still never shot a brick of 22 at one time. I bought my first brick when I started shooting NRA indoor pistol and shot about 50 rds per match. I still rarely ever shoot a full box of 50 at once. I frequently shoot a couple of boxes of 38spl and 45 acp per secession but not so much 22. I hope to shoot a lot more if I can finish most of the wifes projects but she can think em up a lot faster than I can do em.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I don't think I ever bought a full brick of 22lr until I was at least 21yrs old. My dad never shot anything that didn't need shot and I only saw him miss once. That stuck with me. I have still never shot a brick of 22 at one time. I bought my first brick when I started shooting NRA indoor pistol and shot about 50 rds per match. I still rarely ever shoot a full box of 50 at once. I frequently shoot a couple of boxes of 38spl and 45 acp per secession but not so much 22. I hope to shoot a lot more if I can finish most of the wifes projects but she can think em up a lot faster than I can do em.
    We did some of our shooting when we were kids at the local dump. Lots of targets. Loved shooting old abandoned cars.

Done some rat shooting at a dump a few times but used a 38spl instead of a 22. It was about 20 miles from home so I only got there a few times but it was fun. Seems like most places have put a stop to dump shooting. Too bad as it's hard to find that much fun for a few dollars worth of ammo. I even spent a bunch of money on an IR night scope and can't find any rats to shoot.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Done some rat shooting at a dump a few times but used a 38spl instead of a 22. It was about 20 miles from home so I only got there a few times but it was fun. Seems like most places have put a stop to dump shooting. Too bad as it's hard to find that much fun for a few dollars worth of ammo. I even spent a bunch of money on an IR night scope and can't find any rats to shoot.
    Fun times to go at night. Tape a flashlight to the rifle. Shoot at the glowing rat eyes. We did this back in the day when the flashlights were those old Eveready lights. I'm sure it would be much better with a modern light. Oh, and a lazer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast