Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clipper MacSport 18

It's a little longer very deep and has a lot of middle.

Is that clipper as easy to get into vs the HB ?

Well it's not nearly as big as the HB, so it will be much more tippy and will require some skill and care to stay out of trouble.

Ended up picking up a Suzuki 6HP on sale (a 2018). They were selling out of last years model so I bought one before they are all gone. Rigging up a tiller extension today and then I'll test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Ended up picking up a Suzuki 6HP on sale (a 2018). They were selling out of last years model so I bought one before they are all gone. Rigging up a tiller extension today and then I'll test it out.
    Ice out yet ?

In enough places to get my motors running!

How the 6 worked out?

18 Km/hr (11 miles an hour) with 600 pounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq833Nl_Xbs&t=98s

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    How the 6 worked out?

18 Km/hr (11 miles an hour) with 600 pounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq833Nl_Xbs&t=98s
    I've been able to get to 20-22km/h(with the wind) on the lake with a lighter load and the same setup. Fun little craft!

That sounds about right! Not much love for the small 4 strokes but It has worked out pretty well.

I had two Kevlar Mac 18s and like an idiot, I sold them both as well as my James Bay. I bought a couple inflatable Jet Rangers thinking the grass was greener but now I have canoe withdrawals. Plan on selling the jets and go back to the Clipper. I think it is the best overall hunting rig, for me anyway. I ran 9.8 Tohatsu 4 strokes. Glad there is no Yukon Motor Enforcement Bureau. The canoes averaged 8-9 mph up the Yukon and 13-16 down stream. The 9.8s were a little heavy and overkill up skinny water. I will go back to the 9.8 for the Yukon and lakes and likely settle on the 6hp for small streams. I made an adjustable lift that clamps onto the transom and keeps the motor in-line with the transom. I could not tell much difference in speed with the motor raised near the water feed or all the way down on the transom. As long the motor pees the canoe goes.

Forgive me for highjacking the thread but no since in starting another Clipper MAC 18 thread. I ordered two Kevlar Mac 18s from Western Canoe and Kayak to replace the two I sold last year. I spoke with Marlin, the owner, about my previous fear of damaging the awesome canoes on rocks. I (probably unnecessarily) treated the previous Kevlar 18s like they were fragile around rocks. Marlin recommended two additional S-Glass layups on the bottom of the Kevlar to the 4 inch water mark. He is also laying skid plates fore and aft. The extra S-Glass and bang plates will probably add about 10-15 pounds but will give me more confidence and less worry when sliding a moose filled canoe over shallow rocky riffles. The current Canadian exchange rate great. IÂ’m paying less for these custom canoes than it cost me to purchase my first two standard Kevlars in 2011-2012. I did not know Clipper did custom layups so I am passing this on to anyone considering a Mac 18 for next year. Marlin and his staff are very pleasant to work with and responsive. My 2 cents.

F455ED09-212C-4EC9-A04B-61A91C7F62AF.jpg1EAB8E5F-CCEC-4542-BC7E-2C73A4B13817.jpg
    North61, here are a couple pictures of the old lift. The new lifts will be similar but hopefully a tad lighter. I think this one weighs about 10 pounds. It just fits the Mac 18. Would probably fit others but I made it for the Clipper and the 9.8 Tohatsu. I stuck this one together with a buz box and 6011. Just bought a tig machine so the welds will look better on the new lifts and I might try aluminum. Picked up a wide purple heart 5/4 board yesterday. Should be strong enough and better looking than the scrap plywood.

Nice work. Ive been working on a lift for my Scott HB but have been following a different design stream, but I like your take on it.
    What TIG machine did you pick up?
    I used to have a Syncrowave 250 with a cooler in my shop, but got sick of the noise and power demands. Bought an HTP Invertig 221 and have been really happy with it.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

I went small for my little garage with a Square Wave 200. Just a small unit for hobby stuff like canoe lifts and longbow forms and such. I plan to go bigger once I finish my shop in Anchor Point and move away from the big city. I was a Navy nuke welder in a previous life 30 years ago. Like riding a bike, just need to throw a leg over and start peddling again.

Yukoner, here is something to chew on for your HB. I successfully used it on my old Mac 18s but it is a bit heavy for them. Working on plans to lighten it up. 9A4D14AB-1D39-4716-AB03-69456F46F3FE.jpg1985DC52-9110-4E57-8AC3-9CF4910EC9D4.jpg

Isn't thats whats known as a Jack ***** lift?
    I've toyed with building one out of Al for the Scott. Getting the pivot and leverage just right is the key I reckon, probably a winter project.
    Might even order up some 4130 CroMo for it, that would be cool.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Love those lifts! Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123