Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clipper MacSport 18

I would imagine...real quiet...and sips fuel....I run a 15 hp 4 stoke Yamaha on my HB and love it.

I have the 5 hp Mercury 4 stroke on my Clipper. It's real quiet and idles down for trolling but will haul the Clipper faster than I want to go. It has a built in tank and I get a whole day of fishing without refueling.

My old 4 HP Evinrude 2 cylinder is smoother, but I'm happy with the Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by lucescoflathead View Post
    I have the 5 hp Mercury 4 stroke on my Clipper. It's real quiet and idles down for trolling but will haul the Clipper faster than I want to go. It has a built in tank and I get a whole day of fishing without refueling.

My old 4 HP Evinrude 2 cylinder is smoother, but I'm happy with the Mercury.
    Does the 57 pounds on the transom create any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    If that's one of the old twin cylinders, hang onto it. These new small motors all seem to be single cylinder engines and noisy to an extreme.
    I've still got an old 1965 Evinrude Ducktwin with weedless drive........so smooth and quiet.....360 degree steering.....
    Yessir, its a twin. While I love Christmas, pretty hard to gift it, even to deserving gentleman such as the OP.
    It would look real nice off the back of that Clipper.
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Well..it was a long shot!

Not sure whether to buy an off season single cylinder 4 stroke at a good price (Merc 5) or hope for a find on an older twin 2 stroke. Whitehorse only rarely has deals on used equipment and travel out would eat up any savings. The four strokes are heavier, more complex and not as smooth. Against that they are a wee bit better on gas and quieter in mid throttle. Also a new motor carries a warranty against lemonhood. Looking at the 5 tomorrow.

North 61.... how’s the earth quakes up your way ?

Haven't felt any yet ....seem to be centered in Alaska.

I thought you were in AK....my bad...just looked on a Map. .looks like Anchorage is West of you.

Yup...quite a long way actually.

No I trailer mine and have the Clipper supported its whole length.

OK..Thanks. I looked at the 5hp 4 strokes and found the 6's are the same weight for just a bit more money. So might buy a 6. However I am not that impressed with the new tech. The old twin two strokes in a 8 or 9.9 would weigh about the same and run way smoother with better torque for getting upstream. I think when you could make make faster head way upstream into a good current you might not even burn that much more gas to do so. I'll look a little more to see if I can find an older motor in good condition.

My Clipper is rated for 5 HP max. Where I'm from you can get fined for running a bigger outboard than the boat's rated for. Also if your in an accident, I don't know if your insurance would cover you.

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    OK..Thanks. I looked at the 5hp 4 strokes and found the 6's are the same weight for just a bit more money. So might buy a 6. However I am not that impressed with the new tech. The old twin two strokes in a 8 or 9.9 would weigh about the same and run way smoother with better torque for getting upstream. I think when you could make make faster head way upstream into a good current you might not even burn that much more gas to do so. I'll look a little more to see if I can find an older motor in good condition.
    IMO you're going the right direction. I'll keep watch for one over here also.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    IMO you're going the right direction. I'll keep watch for one over here also.
    Thanks, Mate!

Quote Originally Posted by lucescoflathead View Post
    My Clipper is rated for 5 HP max. Where I'm from you can get fined for running a bigger outboard than the boat's rated for. Also if your in an accident, I don't know if your insurance would cover you.
    In the Yukon we pretty much roll to a different drummer! A bit like our Alaskan cousins....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ still the Wild Wild West .....lol

GA Checkpoint in Vancouver always seems to have used OBS, like this
    https://gacheckpoint.com/products/2003-johnson-8-hp
    Fighting gravity is never cheap.

Did you pick it up here locally? Did Scott bring it in for you ?

It was in stock so I saved a bit. Really impressive boat. I'll run it with my 2.5HP Suzuki and hope a nice twin two stroke comes my way. The 2.5 will be fine on lakes and sluggish rivers.

great looking canoe, looks similar in size to the esquiff cargo canoe, but has a substantially larger payload capacity. I wonder if that's due to fiberglass verses royalex component

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast