Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: happy valley air taxi

Default happy valley air taxi

Looking for the number of a guy that runs an air taxi out of happy valley.

Dan Sells( not sure of the spelling on the last name.

maybe Dan Sailors: Alaska Wild Country/Huskey Air
    1 800 822-2204

Thanky you.

Default Happy Valley

Another service out of happy valley is Deltana outfitters. web site is here:

http://www.deltana.com/

I have not used them so have no input on quality or reputation etc.....

Default Any more

Do you guys have any more contacts for Happey Valley?

Default Unless things have changed guides can not provide drop off air taxi services

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    Another service out of happy valley is Deltana outfitters. web site is here:

http://www.deltana.com/

I have not used them so have no input on quality or reputation etc.....
    Guides-Outfitters or are not Air Taxi's or "transporters".

A guide is a guide.

To "outfit" is not to guide.

Thats why the regulations call it a guide-outfitter license.

To Air Taxi is to transport for hire. Thats why they call it a Transporters License.

Guide-outfitters are not permitted [legal] to provide drop off services..........even if the drop includes "outfitting".

Unless things have changed Deltana is not an Air taxi or Transporter.

You can call the FAA 271 2000 and ask them to check their records and see if things have changed.

Not sure about the rule but I have done several drop only hunts with Deltana.

If licensed properly, a guide may also be a transporter. Several guides in this state offer transport services.

Default Choices

Many people push the limits, and thats what it looks like Deltana and ralph miller does. He does not have a part 135 operation. Dan Sailors is a great pilot with a 135 operation and a beautiful Husky, but I heard he is thinking about selling both. He did a hand full of clients for ralph and there is also Mike of Alaska Bush Sports that operates up there, Walt Audi use to fly hunters out of there.

Terry

Default Alaska Bush Sports

DPhilips is correct. A guide can be a transporter if properly licensed. I have an email out to Ralph now to see what the status of Deltana is.

The number for Dan Sailors did not work. Does anyone have a new number?

Mike at Alaska Bush Sports answered and seemed very helpfull. If anyone has used Mike McCary's services at Alaska Bush Sports, out of Happy Valley, please PM me or let me know if you were happy with the service.

I was flying myself out of Happy Valley last fall and Mike was extremely helpful and his clients seemed pleased. AKPT

My brother-n-law and I were clients of Mike's this past August and he was very helpful and runs a first class operation. Very open to what we wanted and willing to go the extra mile.

kc

Default HV

we have used Walt of Alaska Fliers and will be using Mike of alaska bush sports this year. It used to be Dave Neil was the only game in town until he crashed a few years back. Then Alaska Fliers, then Ralph Miller, and Husky and now Alaska Bush Sports. The areas up there are going to get hammered just like the Mulchatna area did back in the late 90's. Kotz since 2000 and everyone knows how that turned out.

Default Not that crowded

From what I seen there were not a overabundance of hunters. Alot of the traffic I seen was people who could not score bou along the road system. I spent a couple of weeks up there, hunting and fishing this last Aug. There is a guy from montana that bought Larry rivers place on the Ivashak, wondering how many hunters he is bringing in. On my way out to the field, I saw a couple of hunters headed out to his place.

Terry

Default Deltana is good to go folks

For the folks that say Deltana is not a licensed transporter, here is a quote from the email that Ralph sent me. "Rodney yes I am a lic transporter # 855 and also a lic master guide #169"

Where is Larry River's place on the Ivyshak? I did run into a couple folks last year on my hunt. I would prefer to stay clear of other hunters on this years hunt.

Default a transporters license and a guide license

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    For the folks that say Deltana is not a licensed transporter, here is a quote from the email that Ralph sent me. "Rodney yes I am a lic transporter # 855 and also a lic master guide #169"

Where is Larry River's place on the Ivyshak? I did run into a couple folks last year on my hunt. I would prefer to stay clear of other hunters on this years hunt.
    AFHunter; A transporters license and A guide license does not = AN AIR TAXI certificate. A master guide license doesn't change anything either.

Guides are NOT required to have a transporters license though I suppose it is easy to understand why everyone is so confused............because no one can tell the legal operations from the BULL SYSTEM.

ONLY a transporter is legal to provide drop off hunts.

Maybe you [emailed] asked the wrong question?

Default crowding

It would have been great to buy Larryís place when it was for sale. Unfortunately it was a little out of the price range. The thing I wonder is to off set the high cost, & with the facilities avail there I could see where you would have clients there as much as possible. That includes rafters, hikers, hunters both sheep & bou, & possibly dog musherís so I would expect people up there most of the time.

AF it is low to mid river on the North side close to where all the ice is. If you flew in with a Beaver I imagine you were much higher on the big strip closer to porcupine lake.

Terry, what do you mean by not that crowded ? Just curious as the last time I was there was with Dave Neal & floated out. Only saw one other raft that trip & that was by Larryís camp. I would really like to go back & float it again with the wife but with all the talk of people there I donít see how it would be the same. Just reading AFís story makes is sound crowded not including all the airboat traffic on the lower stretch.

I didnt' think Dirk wasnít fond of flying there due to the usually present morning fog & making it hard to get in sometimes & itís a longer flight from coldfoot. Iím surprised he & brooks range are both dropping people there now.

Default When I was there

When I was there, fog was very common in the mornings, north of the pass. As anyother place when flying or flying out, you will see a few hunters. I can say that I saw alot fewer people than I did out of Kotz or the mulchatna herd even 2 years ago(when I spent a week, just flying around Mulchatna country). Proably only saw 4 or 5 fives camps in 60 or 70 miles. I would say that it is not pressured YET, and still is a great place to hunt. I took my 13 year old there last year, and probably will take my 11 year old son this year and/or my 8 year old daughter. Did not see many aircraft even though the troopers where monitoring most camps daily, with flyovers. 30 minutes after we got my boys bou back, 5 miles one way X 2 trips, the troopers stopped in and checked it out. Positive think I can say is the were the friendly troopers I have come across it the field. As Far as I know Dirk was not flying that far north.

Just to add to Avalanche's comment: State requirements and the FAA's are often different and very confusing, one would probably need to have a team of lawyers to have everything covered. As a commericial pilot student I know there is a difference between a transporters license (couple hundred bucks)which is a license required by the BGCSB and a FAA part 135 operators certificate(about $25,000). I'm not to sure about how much enforcement is taking place but, I do know changes are in the works.

Terry

Avalanche you stated that, "ONLY a transporter is legal to provide dropoff hunts."

Ralph stated he was a licensed transporter and gave his transporter number 855. So what are you trying to say? I could have asked the wrong question but his answer was exactly what I wanted--Ralph's transporter license--verifying that he was a licensed transporter.

I do understand what you are saying about a guide doing whatever he wants to, but Ralph at Deltana is clearly providing services for the licenses he has acquired.

If Larry's cabin is the one just outside of the park boundary, then I know where it is.

Dirk stated that he does not fly North of the Brooks after 1 Sep. Fog was an issue the days prior to our hunt. The day we flew and every day we were in the Brooks the weather was clear in a million and 80-90 degrees every day. I know that is not normal weather, we just were very lucky. I received a nice tan also.

I would say I saw an average of 5 planes fly by every day. I did have three hunting parties dropped on the same gravel bar that I was on. We had our bou already and the other hunters were very respectful, (They showed us where the char were at and let us use their poles and lures). I only had one set of floaters go by us.

Default Hammered

theres no way its not, theres 4 charters flying that area, just because someone only sees 1 party go buy does not mean that was the only one for the year. 2 years ago we floated it, didnt see another hunter till the 5 mile mark, but I know of at least 8 groups that floated that year, who know how many drop camps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast