Thread: Check your planes after this quake.

Default Check your planes after this quake.

It is easy to forget about your plane when your house has damage.. But even in a hangar they may not be safe. Mine slide across the hangar floor and almost smacked the wall. Outside tie-down might over-stress something if the ground pulled the wrong way.. Go check..
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I am hopefull mine smacked the wall... would match the other side if so

Wow, really? It slid across the hangar in Homer area? You're right, that would be overly exciting.
    We are lucky, we have our plane outside, and NOT tied down. It is protected from most sorts of wind by trees, and all the weak trees around there have already blown down. Only thing we really need to worry about is a direct east wind, and we don't get many of those.
    I know what you mean, though. Things move. My husband was working on his lathe, and had the spindle out and standing up on end on the work table. The day before the quake, I saw that, and said to myself, you know what that thing might fall over, and I laid it down on its side, in the middle of the table. After the earthquake, after we had checked a few other things, we said huh, wonder about the shop? I went out there, and that spindle has rolled back and forth, in a semicircle, so many times it had made a mark in the white paper he had underneath it. No doubt in my mind it would have jumped right off the table if it had been up on end! That would have meant big chunk knocked out of the concrete floor, andwho knows what to the spindle.
    To that end, we were lucky. Eagle River got hit so hard. We have some friends up there, and their house got damaged quite a bit. Seriously a bummer.

Yes it rocked and rolled down here for a good while as well. My plane had already moved from the 5.4 quake back on the 22nd. ( centered over by Illiamna Volcano) I think the problem is that the previous renter painted the floor with glossy white hull paint just after he moved. It is super slick.
    So I covered it all with plastic sheeting...
    My plane is up on a trailer because it s still on floats. So the whole trailer and plane went back towards the tail on the 22nd and this last quake moved it back the other direction. The wheels were blocked... But the slick floor and plastic sheets just let it move. My tools in the hangar look fine. BUT my work shop up here above Homer is a total wreck. My shop and house are on pilings. So everything just sways back and forth like a stack of Jello.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com