Thread: traveling with your bow on a airplane

Default traveling with your bow on a airplane

When you travel with your bow on an airplane, do you remove the sight from the bow? I'm heading to Africa this Friday and I'm taking two bows with me in my SKB double case. Should I leave the sights on or should I take them off?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default All depends

I think it all depends on how well they are protected in the case. My BowTech fits well and is protected enough that it did not matter when traveling.

If in doubt, might as well as take the best precaution that you can. Probably can't buy too many sights in Africa.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Wink Off...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    When you travel with your bow on an airplane, do you remove the sight from the bow? I'm heading to Africa this Friday and I'm taking two bows with me in my SKB double case. Should I leave the sights on or should I take them off?
    I'm headed back to RSA in September and I'm taking mine off...just like last time. I put it in my carry on. Just personal preference but I feel safer with mine in my carry on. I do have an extra older sight I'll take and will probably leave that in the case, but not my good one I use.

Who are you hunting with?

Default travel with the sight on

I leave my sight on during all my travels to the states, but admit I have never been further than that. I pull the foam and fill all the voids with clothes and other soft gear. I leave my broadheads on the shafts and add a piece of old sleeping pad foam as a buffer between them and the gear/bow.
    It depends in part how well your bow and gear fit in the case. Another aspect unfortunately is theft. If you are concerned, take it off and carry it. Good luck and bring us some good stories and photos.
    I do make a complete inventory of everything, including the case, with replacement costs. I go to the counter way early and purchase full replacement cost protection for the works. They always argue, but I have not been on a carrier yet that does not have the insurance available. If in doubt, call their customer service well prior to the departure date and get the specific information.

Default Arrows and broadheads

For arrows and broadheads I disassemable them. I sharpen each blade and then wrap it in papertowel, folding it over with each blade until I get a neat little package. I then place it into a vitamin pill bottle with a tight lid with extra packing. That way, pre-sharpened, no loose sharp edges roaming around either. Anything sharp in the bowcase should be protected. If it can move around it will. If it can fine a bow string, it will.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Wink

You can take them off, and wrap in bubble wrap. Mark all your pin placements with pencil, or white out. Don"t forget your rest location also. Measure all pin lengths, and keep these along with a 6 in. machinests ruler. Scribe a line in pencil for the limb depth at the limb pockets so if anything happens you know where everything goes! Remember Murphy is loose at airports!!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Travelling with the BOW

My biggest worry is loosing my gear. The case you have is top notch...it works for me too.

I leave my sight on unless I think it will be damaged by other things packed in the bow case. I do not pack things in the case that would be a problem of that magnitude. If you are bringing 2 bows, I would consider taking one sight off if it looked like there was any chance of them bumping into one another. That would also allow you to spread your eggs out and not have them all in one case.

Have a great trip and leave a few animals for me. I'll be going a week from Saturday. Can you ever be ready enough for anything that comes your way? What broadheads will you use?

Cheers,

Matt