Thread: Pure lead 44 mag bullets

Default Pure lead 44 mag bullets

I molded up a hundred pure lead 44 mag bullets from some old .58 round balls. I did not water quench them so they stayed pretty soft. I then powder coated and sized/gas checked them. I loaded them on top of 10 grains of Titegroup at 1250 fps. I fired all 100 rounds through my 7 1/2 inch Bisley without a trace of leading. A hard cast at the same velocity just pokes a hole through a 6x6. These pure lead ones blow the whole backside out of the 6x6.

I have two cull the heard doe tags for this coming Saturday. I aim to find out what one of these soft bullets will do to a doe's rib cage. However I must mold some new ones because someone wasn't smart enough to keep back a cylinder or two full of ammo for the hunt......I have become quite the brain farter in my old age!

Keep us posted! I've always liked pure lead or very soft alloys on deer, but struggled with leading even with the best of lubes (Liquid Alox) if vels even approached 1k. Powder coating opens an important door. In fact pure lead has proven itself for centuries on game larger than deer when launched from muzzleloaders. Easy to prevent the leading there using a patch, but those darned metalic cartridge thingies.....
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Indeed powder coating can make things wonderfull
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A caveat with leading and lubes including powder coating is there are different mechanisms that cause leading. One of the mechanisms that causes leading is stripping, when the engraving force of the rifling is greater than the strength of the lead. Gas checking greatly alleviates that issue, but with a plain base pure lead or nearly pure lead bullet you can still have problems with leading even if the lube is sufficient.

I do like powder coating for a variety of reasons, but it doesn't completely eliminate all possibilities of leading.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    A caveat with leading and lubes including powder coating is there are different mechanisms that cause leading. One of the mechanisms that causes leading is stripping, when the engraving force of the rifling is greater than the strength of the lead. Gas checking greatly alleviates that issue, but with a plain base pure lead or nearly pure lead bullet you can still have problems with leading even if the lube is sufficient.

I do like powder coating for a variety of reasons, but it doesn't completely eliminate all possibilities of leading.
    I have read on other forums where guys are shooting powder coated bullets to 3,000 fps. They didn't say one way or the other about leading but it sure would be interesting to take a peak down those bores. I don't have any need to go beyond 1300 fps for deer with the 44 mag so I am tickled so far with the results.

I am going to make some pure lead bullets for my 357 as well. Run them about 1,000 fps and use them in my carry gun if they pan out like i think they will.

I'm just looking for ways to be as independent as possible when it comes to shooting.

I have a bunch of Lee Loaders, primers, bullets, powder and brass I will probably never need in my lifetime but are worth much more than gold if needed.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What type of powder are you guys using? I want to try some. I just cast a bunch of 300 grain slugs for my 444 that I want to coat.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    What type of powder are you guys using? I want to try some. I just cast a bunch of 300 grain slugs for my 444 that I want to coat.
    I buy mine from Cadmans custom jigs.
    http://cadmansjigs.weebly.com/powder-paint.html
    Not all powders work if your shaking the powder on in a plastic container but I have tried several colors from him and they all work great using the shake n bake method.
    Plus the price is very hard to beat.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Just a note on water quenching. Pure lead is unaffected by water quenching. There must be antimony and tin present to make the lead harder and it is the presence of those elements that cause alloyed lead to harden further by quenching. Pure lead will come out of the quench the same hardness as it went in. If it is harder, then it is an alloy and not pure lead.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I buy the Red powder coat at Harbor Freight. It sticks the best. I tried the black but it has different ingredients to get the black pigment! It didnít stick very good even after messing with the temps and stuff. Others have said the same thing!

A little goes a long way!

yes Sir...HF red. #2 son just did a batch of 150 gr RN for his .300 Black Out...took a big thimble full to do 100 on a pizza pan covered with alum foil. He mixes colors too but stopped mixing red and white when I told him pink was sissy like and a deer would be upset if killed by a pink bullet.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I buy the Red powder coat at Harbor Freight. It sticks the best. I tried the black but it has different ingredients to get the black pigment! It didnít stick very good even after messing with the temps and stuff. Others have said the same thing!

A little goes a long way!
    One problem we have in Alaska is Harbor Freight won't ship powder paint up here.
    I've tried and they just won't do it.
    I tried calling and the guy was basically reading a script off a sheet that said: it's paint, it's hazardous, no shipping to Alaska!
    That's why I started ordering from cadman's custom jigs.
    The powder works excellent I've tried several different colors and have been happy with every one of them for coating bullets.
    If someone on the Kenai Peninsula wanted some to try I probably have some extra here in my workshop just send me a PM and I'm sure we can work something out.
    I have blood red, azure blue, white, and off-white right now in powder paint that I would use for bullets.
    I have lots of other colors for doing fishing jigs but I only use those for fishing lures.
    Most of those are spendier powder paints
    Such as glow colors Etc. And not all of those work with the shake n bake method.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    yes Sir...HF red. #2 son just did a batch of 150 gr RN for his .300 Black Out...took a big thimble full to do 100 on a pizza pan covered with alum foil. He mixes colors too but stopped mixing red and white when I told him pink was sissy like and a deer would be upset if killed by a pink bullet.
    Before I started shaking and baking my own I decided to shoot some of someone else's first! There was a guy selling them on gunbroker and his were pink. I paid $3 a hundred more to someone else who had the same style in blue! I won't wear a pink dress shirt either. I can see why the deer would be offended!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Before I started shaking and baking my own I decided to shoot some of someone else's first! There was a guy selling them on gunbroker and his were pink. I paid $3 a hundred more to someone else who had the same style in blue! I won't wear a pink dress shirt either. I can see why the deer would be offended!
    I make pink bullets for two reasons.
    1) Is to get my female friends and/or their daughters to want to go to the range.
    2) This one is more important, my sister survived breast cancer a couple years ago.
    So I made my sister some pink bullets for her 9 mm.
    I actually thought about putting together a kit of reloading components to donate to the American Cancer society's relay For Life.
    Since it isn't normally considered a safe practice to shoot someone else's reloads,
    I figured I could make some pink 9 mm boolits and include some primers brass and powder for someone to make their wife some pink bullets for breast cancer awareness. And to encourage more women to go to the gun range.
    My mom has been involved in the Relay For Life for many years and they always have a silent auction during the relay.
    I thought I could make some pink fishing lures as well.

One nice thing about using different colors for bullets is you can make different calibers or different weights and styles of bullets in different colors.
    So for instance my 45 Colt bullets are blood red but my 44 mag bullets are azure blue.
    That just makes it easy to look at a glance and know what bullets I have.
    If you have a couple different boolits for the same caliber pistol it just makes it easier to identify them and keep them separate.
    Though they don't have to be pink you could use any color (s) you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I make pink bullets for two reasons.
    1) Is to get my female friends and/or their daughters to want to go to the range.
    2) This one is more important, my sister survived breast cancer a couple years ago.
    So I made my sister some pink bullets for her 9 mm.
    I actually thought about putting together a kit of reloading components to donate to the American Cancer society's relay For Life.
    Since it isn't normally considered a safe practice to shoot someone else's reloads,
    I figured I could make some pink 9 mm boolits and include some primers brass and powder for someone to make their wife some pink bullets for breast cancer awareness. And to encourage more women to go to the gun range.
    My mom has been involved in the Relay For Life for many years and they always have a silent auction during the relay.
    I thought I could make some pink fishing lures as well.

One nice thing about using different colors for bullets is you can make different calibers or different weights and styles of bullets in different colors.
    So for instance my 45 Colt bullets are blood red but my 44 mag bullets are azure blue.
    That just makes it easy to look at a glance and know what bullets I have.
    If you have a couple different boolits for the same caliber pistol it just makes it easier to identify them and keep them separate.
    Though they don't have to be pink you could use any color (s) you want.

I won't argue anything done for the breast cancer cause. We have lost some good family friends to that crap. However, one of them was a man! He wasn't into the pink thing. For gals, yup I'm with ya!